Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK ONE


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, jaedmc said:

BEARS TAKE THE LEAD. SUPERBOWL HERE WE COME.

What stuck out to was how well the SF defense kept Mooney covered, and how Fields found other targets to make plays. How many times have we seen Rodgers try to force the ball to Adams because thats who he wants to pass it to? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chaos said:

Dallas is getting ready for the Cam Newton experience. 

Not having a downfield threat will be right in Cam's wheelhouse of already checking down.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Jerry Jones Live on ESPN just said Dax will need Surgery & be out Several Weeks with a Right-Hand Injury! 

hope springs eternal they'll be desperate enough to trade for two months of Handsome Jimmy

he's won a playoff game in their home stadium, after all

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

 

Davis Mills Top 10 QB confirmed

I really want to know how you can grade yesterday's play and conclude that Mahomes was the 8th best quarterback. I'm not even trying to be funny,  I'm legitimately curious how that happens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I really want to know how you can grade yesterday's play and conclude that Mahomes was the 8th best quarterback. I'm not even trying to be funny,  I'm legitimately curious how that happens. 

Because PFF is stupid and people who rely on their stats are stupid

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Because PFF is stupid and people who rely on their stats are stupid

I feel like I've said this in the baseball thread and the basketball thread already,  but this is why a don't need to turn sports into a complex math problem. I get it,  I'd like stats that are 1-1 when it comes to what I see and what the math says,  but if the dude who threw 5 TDs and only 9 incompletions is ranked 8th you should probably throw that stat away.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I feel like I've said this in the baseball thread and the basketball thread already,  but this is why a don't need to turn sports into a complex math problem. I get it,  I'd like stats that are 1-1 when it comes to what I see and what the math says,  but if the dude who threw 5 TDs and only 9 incompletions is ranked 8th you should probably throw that stat away.

My issue with PFF is they do a lot of bullshit that infers what should have happened on a play

Like with Offensive Lineman - they are always like "well they should have blocked player X" and players are like "you have no fucking clue what the assignments were"

Specifically regarding Mahomes from yesterday - most likely he got punished a) for the one ball that he fumbled (which KC kept) and b) the fact that PFF legit punishes QBs for "possible turnover throws" or whatever the fuck they call it. So Mahomes throws balls into insanely tight coverage and they punish him because "well the probability he could get picked off was higher"

The also are real good at creating rankings that just so happen to confirm their priors

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TJ Watt will have a 2nd (and possibly 3rd opinion) about his torn pec

Basically he is trying to find someone who tells him he doesn't need surgery. If he gets surgery, he is out for the year. If he doesn't need surgery, he would be back in 6-8 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My issue with PFF is they do a lot of bullshit that infers what should have happened on a play

Like with Offensive Lineman - they are always like "well they should have blocked player X" and players are like "you have no fucking clue what the assignments were"

Specifically regarding Mahomes from yesterday - most likely he got punished a) for the one ball that he fumbled (which KC kept) and b) the fact that PFF legit punishes QBs for "possible turnover throws" or whatever the fuck they call it. So Mahomes throws balls into insanely tight coverage and they punish him because "well the probability he could get picked off was higher"

The also are real good at creating rankings that just so happen to confirm their priors

I feel like that's a valuable thing to track when it's actually a possible turnover throw. Matthew Stafford hitting a 49ers safety between the numbers on the winning drive of the NFC Championship game is a turnover throw. Fitting balls in tight windows is something that should be rewarded not punished in stat. It's what separates guys like Mahomes from guys like Kirk Cousins. Kirk can kill you if guys are running wide open,  but if shit gets tight I don't want Kirk behind center. Mahomes is great because he is probably the best ever at fitting balls into tight spaces. His ability to throw into tight spots from crazy arm angles is why he's special. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I really want to know how you can grade yesterday's play and conclude that Mahomes was the 8th best quarterback. I'm not even trying to be funny,  I'm legitimately curious how that happens. 

Hottakeology ascribes no value to truth. Agreeing with conventional wisdom, no matter how verifiable, is useless because everyone already agrees with it so saying that won’t make anyone mad enough to click on the article to see What Bollocks Resides Within.

Nobody clicks on “Mahomes is still great”. They click on “what’s suddenly wrong with Mahomes that he’s only 8th?” and they’ll also click on “Johnny Rando was better than Mahomes by the Numbers this week, does a comically small sample size indicate a changing of the guard?”

even if only to get mad at how shit your methodology is and rage at you in the comments section. Just as long as they clicked.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Hottakeology ascribes no value to truth. Agreeing with conventional wisdom, no matter how verifiable, is useless because everyone already agrees with it so saying that won’t make anyone mad enough to click on the article to see What Bollocks Resides Within.

Nobody clicks on “Mahomes is still great”. They click on “what’s suddenly wrong with Mahomes that he’s only 8th?” and they’ll also click on “Johnny Rando was better than Mahomes by the Numbers this week, does a comically small sample size indicate a changing of the guard?”

even if only to get mad at how shit your methodology is and rage at you in the comments section. Just as long as they clicked.

tl;dr Davis Mills still a top ten QB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...