DVDVR Message Board

Seeking Signups: SECRET SATAN 2022

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

No idea why that is. How do I change it? Have to later, bout to start working.

Most likely it is just that you inbox is full.

Try deleting older messages 

Bonus Review:

Mortal Kombat (1995)

premise: three martial artists are manipulated into joining a to-the-death fighting tournament. they must do battle with super powered ninjas, a four armed giant freak, and ultimately a soul stealing, shape shifting wizard, with the entirety of Earth hanging in the balance.

this movie kicks every ass imaginable. then punches every face, then rekicks the asses again.

the characterizations are basic and one note, but who needs deep personal characters when there's asses to kick? 

the actors are wooden and unconvincing, but who needs presence and "it factor" when there's pulse pounding action to ram down throats? 

the storyline is plucked straight from the video game series, which in turn swiped it from Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'.  they kept it simple, which was definitely for the best. Plus, who needs an elaborate plot when you can just add more maimings and violence?

the special effects varied wildly. Goro's four armed appearance was pretty decent because of the practical effects. making Scorpion's spear a CGI creature was certainly a choice, but his untimely firey demise looked relatively good, so it balances out. the CGI Reptile creature was horrible but i can't say that i don't still have a soft spot for it. 

do i even need to mention the iconic theme song? i'm not a techno fan really at all, but the entire soundtrack works surprisingly well, since it just keeps driving along with the action.

Notable quotes (we repeated these nonstop on the playground  back in the day):

"Your soul is mine"

"Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole!"

"Flawless Victory"

tl;dr. not scary at all. fun if ridiculous martial arts flick tho.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Me and my neighbor across the street saw it when it came out and we HATED it. When you end up disappointing a pair of 14 year old kids with a video game movie then you got a problem on your hands. The only part I remember liking aside from the theme song was Scorpion's demise. 

i would've been 12 when it came out originally and thought it was the greatest film ever. Now, the less said about the sequel, the better. what utter trash. i tried rewatching it a few years ago and found it even worse than i remembered. 

BTW - I keep forgetting to mention if folks want to send justification for their selection (beyond what I have) please go ahead and do so.

I WFH tomorrow so I am going to kick us off then