DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe if they were actual employees, you could have them sign NDAs that specifically call outwrestking media.

But if you have TK talking to Uncle Dave, it seems hypocritical.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

NDAs don't prevent leaks. Especially if people are anonymously leaking info.

People have tried to control what comes out of their locker rooms, and it usually doesn't work. I mean both WCW and WWF tried to have some sort of inroads with Meltzer. Dave kept chugging online and stuff still got out there (both bad info and stuff that was right), which is why ole Bruce and Bischoff hate his guts. 

Hell, Dana White tried to do that same thing with Sherdog.com. Then The Ultimate Fighter spoilers got leaked by Josh Gross back when the show was really popular. It got real nasty on the UFC end. About ten years later, something similar happened with Ariel Helwani. 

It's a battle you're not going to win.

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If anyone's interested in a preview of coming attractions, MJF was on Rasslin' earlier and called the BCC the "Blackpool Cuckold Club." So we've probably got a lot of that to look forward to.

So happy he's back. 

JFC (no pun intended) I was so glad when MJF wasn't on AEW TV or giving interviews for three months. I moved on and hoped MJF would move on too and just bide his time until his release (or got a lawyer to get him released). Now we'll never hear the end of it because Tony Khan didn't tell him he wasn't playing around and he'll have him sit at home until 2024.

Tony Khan is a younger Herb Abrams.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dude if Herb Abrams was a multi billionaire or had access to a billion dollars somehow, he would have snorted his entire body weight in cocaine in under 72 hours.

The autopsy report after that OD would have been amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

41 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

JFC (no pun intended) I was so glad when MJF wasn't on AEW TV or giving interviews for three months. I moved on and hoped MJF would move on too and just bide his time until his release (or got a lawyer to get him released). Now we'll never hear the end of it because Tony Khan didn't tell him he wasn't playing around and he'll have him sit at home until 2024.

Tony Khan is a younger Herb Abrams.

I'm not MJF's biggest fan, as he is wildly inconsistent on the mic and not yet a super worker (though the Darby match at Full Gear 2021 and Punk series of matches were awesome). That said, the numbers do not lie, and the man is one of AEW's biggest draws.

7 hours ago, Big Z said:

I'm not MJF's biggest fan, as he is wildly inconsistent on the mic and not yet a super worker (though the Darby match at Full Gear 2021 and Punk series of matches were awesome). That said, the numbers do not lie, and the man is one of AEW's biggest draws.

If MJF is one of AEW's biggest draws, then AEW is in more trouble than we think. He had two years to become a super worker. It's yet to happen. It's time to move on from him.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

If MJF is one of AEW's biggest draws, then AEW is in more trouble than we think. He had two years to become a super worker. It's yet to happen. It's time to move on from him.

He basically wrestled 25 matches in the last two years. That's like someone saying they're a two year vet when they only work an Ohio indy that runs once a month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If anyone's interested in a preview of coming attractions, MJF was on Rasslin' earlier and called the BCC the "Blackpool Cuckold Club." So we've probably got a lot of that to look forward to.

So happy he's back. 

Dude really is a Channer on the mic. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

He's had some of the best matches in the company's short history too. 

Seconded. He wrestles so infrequently, it actually kind of has a small-scale version of that Piper or Andre "attraction" feel when he does, which helps elevate things - and speaking directly to your point, I'd 100% put the Darby and Punk matches up there with just about anything else with a handful of exceptions.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude if Herb Abrams was a multi billionaire or had access to a billion dollars somehow, he would have snorted his entire body weight in cocaine in under 72 hours.

"Prior to performing the actual autopsy, we were forced to remove a half an inch thick layer of cocaine mixed with (what was hoped to be) perspiration from the entire body of the deceased..."

Edited by Shartnado
We hope that was just sweat...
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Seconded. He wrestles so infrequently, it actually kind of has a small-scale version of that Piper or Andre "attraction" feel when he does, which helps elevate things - and speaking directly to your point, I'd 100% put the Darby and Punk matches up there with just about anything else with a handful of exceptions.

Jungle Boy from a couple years back really showed what was to come too. The six man tag vs. Punk, Sting, Darby is another great one and not just because of the babyface aesthetics. The Wardlow match was also exactly what it should've been after that build. The perfect payoff to years of frustration, manipulation, and avoidance. It would've been real easy for him to argue for a competitive match to protect himself.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:22 AM, Technico Support said:

I think things started to go downhill when Matthews joined, too.  Two tatted up weirdos with cool names?  Yes.  But then they're joined by a guy with no tattoos who spends more time doing curls than reading Lovecraft.  And his name is BUDDY.  Nothing is threatening about that.  Worse fit than Roma joining the horsemen.

Agree big time with this. Hoping they split him and King up soon so King can have the singles (championship!!!) run he deserves. 

Honestly I would have him turn on Matthews immediately, giving an excuse to try Buddy out as a face, then keep BK as our undefeated monster heel for ages until you eventually run him against Wardlow in like the Battle of the Undefeated Hosses. Unfortunately this seems like it might end up being Satnam Singh or Big Cass' role instead. But I gotta believe the Hoss of Black is better suited for it (plus, unlike Cass, he hasn't already lost to Wardlow once). 

Edit: plus this would allow, if Malakai ever returns, a perfect set up for King vs Black to determine who the real power in the faction was for all those months. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was only comparing Herb Abrams and Tony Khan in terms of competency (or lack thereof), not cocaine usage. Although Khan's recent appearances on TV have started to have me wonder...

15 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So happy he's back. 

MJF's talents on the mic: No

MJF's talents as his own publicist who somehow convinced people he has wit and mic skills?  Yes

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

People have tried to control what comes out of their locker rooms, and it usually doesn't work. I mean both WCW and WWF tried to have some sort of inroads with Meltzer. Dave kept chugging online and stuff still got out there (both bad info and stuff that was right), which is why ole Bruce and Bischoff hate his guts. 

Hell, Dana White tried to do that same thing with Sherdog.com. Then The Ultimate Fighter spoilers got leaked by Josh Gross back when the show was really popular. It got real nasty on the UFC end. About ten years later, something similar happened with Ariel Helwani. 

It's a battle you're not going to win.

That's what kills me about this handwringing/concern trolling about how AEW has the "culture of leaking" and how they'd better fix it.  Look, wrestling has improved a lot of things about its awful culture.  I just don't see "guys running to the sheets" ever changing.  This is a not an AEW problem.

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Am I paraphrasing Denis Leary here when I say they'd just cremate Herb and then snort his ashes?

• Like 2

Since we're talking about Herb Abrams, my favorite moment from my old Beach Brawl VHS ($3.99 brand new at some weird off-brand pharmacy here in Ethan Page Country Hamilton) was when Craig Degeorge asks for Herb's prediction in the title tournament finals and he wastes not a millisecond in giving away the finish of his main event ("I gotta go with the Doc. I gotta go with the Doc."). Someone should ask Tony who he's picking in the finals tomorrow night before it's too late. 

• Haha 4