DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

Not sure if this should go here or in the main thread, but Malakai Black issued a statement on instagram concerning his current situation-

“All.

Firstly thank you all for your messages, know they are being read and appreciated. With all the turmoil going on in the landscape of Professional Wrestling I took the time to think of my words but also needed to wait until conversations between mine and AEW’s camp had come to a conclusion.

Firstly, I dislike reading parts of my private conversations between myself and AEW in regards to my mental well being on the internet. These conversations were private and not meant to be shared with the public. As by now most people realize I am a very private person and do not feel the need to have stuff like this out on the internet. If you’ve been following me longer than a cup of coffee you’re aware I’ve spoken about them prior but would like to be the one deciding when this finds it’s way to the public and not through someone else’s mouth, as with anything through the lips of someone else: that story gets distorted.

Secondly, to be in line with the above, they also need context:

I did indeed ask for my release, the last 2 years of my life have lended to a lot of set backs. Both me and my wife have been affected by uncontrollable actions from the outside that resulted in loss of life, medical set backs, career jeopardizing, the suicide of a close friend and a close family member almost losing their life, then experiencing an injury that I was sure was the end of my career. I spend every week going through several sessions of rehab, dry needling and therapy just to be able to walk and compete. Now this being the tip of the iceberg and with the combination of the promises in my professional field that were not upheld which resulted as a combination of all of these to a complete demoralization of life and career. This decision had been in my mind for the past six months.

It’s hard to really put a finger and say ‘this was the moment it all went wrong.’ But I can tell you after many years that I have learned from a rational point of view to see when I need to hit the breaks; which is what this is.

Perhaps once my mind settles on certain things and processes the last 2 years a bit better I will convey (via a different platform than written out) what the exacts were that happened, and have a more informed conversation about them. For now know that I am good, and am taking, for the first time in 22 years, a few months to recalibrate the last 2 decades of my life.

Lastly, I have read a few narratives online in regards to my ‘release’, mental health and my personal life that I can summarize swiftly; if it didn’t come from me, it didn’t happen. Stuff about conditional releases, stuff in my marriage or using said mental health to leverage the other when as I said before that part wasn’t even going to be part of the public conversation are false. My marriage is fine, I am fine. It is just time to make sure those things stay that way. Once again, I appreciate your support and we will see each other soon enough.

MB”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Dude basically called out Khan for not upholding his promises and for the company leaking his mental health status to Fightful 'n' co. I don't see him coming back. 

He didn't call Khan out. Also, when he talks about the last two years, you gotta look at that as referring to WWE and AEW. As for AEW, the fuck are they supposed to do when it comes to upholding promises when the guy's back is beyond fucked? And despite that, Black and the rest of the House of Black were always in a featured position.

I think the biggest thing from that is the mountain of shit he's had to deal with over the last couple years. The thing about he and his wife dealing with the loss of life really stands out and makes me wonder if she had a miscarriage. And on top of that, a friend killing themselves, not to mention having depression and a fucked back are a terrible combination, yeah, I think the guy has earned a lot of time off to do whatever makes him happy.

• Like 11

And if anything, the stuff about private conversations being leaked speaks more to the change in the roster making AEW became this place where nothing is private. Too many people want to keep their relationships open with "journalists" to be able to get their shit out there. I don't think it's a coincidence with how the rumor mill went into overdrive when AEW went from a company where it was all friends to a company that had a lot of folks come over that weren't in those circles and may be used to leaking shit here and there.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Telephone, telegraph, tell a wrestler.

All you basically have to do is not address it, and then it's reckless and baseless internet speculation with no one being wise to the truth. There you go. You win.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

What a stark contrast to around when Danielson came in.  I might be misremembering, but wasn't it the fact that the locker room was so tight lipped about Brodie being one of the reasons Danielson decided to come to AEW?

You beat me to it, yes (no pun intended).

I've really grown fond of Malaki Black because he reminds me of me if I had actually grown up to be a pro wrestler. I really wish him well. He seems highly intelligent based on interviews so I believe he can finds something else if that what it comes to. Acting, Directing, his clothing line  

• Like 3

Interested to hear more on this Black situation. On the surface, he was well protected and given great opportunity, and significant TV time (when not injured) to get over. 6 months or so back he seemed destined for Main Events. 6 months later I'm fast forwarding thru his tedious and pretentious promos (they will not be missed). Further, his angles building to Julia joining the team and the Sting/Darby/Miro trios match were amongst the most awkward and awful this year in the promotion. For awhile now both Buddy and Brody's stars have shined brighter than their leader's tired sinister act. Stoked for this team getting a big match at Grand Slam. It feels like the beginning of something far greater for these two than what they would've been doing with Malakai still in the fold. Brody's come along way since his signing, and Buddy feels like he's one opportunity away from being a huge breakout star. As for Black, there are better ways to address said situation than an attention seeking statement in part shitting on a company that paid him handsomely and gave him great opportunity to be a 'TV star'. On the surface, feels like the profession promises not being upheld are at the very least a shared responsibility. All that said, certainly there are more details than those gleaned from assessment of his performance, his injury report, and a statement shrugging much of any responsibility for his current life situation. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

He didn't call Khan out. Also, when he talks about the last two years, you gotta look at that as referring to WWE and AEW. As for AEW, the fuck are they supposed to do when it comes to upholding promises when the guy's back is beyond fucked? And despite that, Black and the rest of the House of Black were always in a featured position.

I think the biggest thing from that is the mountain of shit he's had to deal with over the last couple years. The thing about he and his wife dealing with the loss of life really stands out and makes me wonder if she had a miscarriage. And on top of that, a friend killing themselves, not to mention having depression and a fucked back are a terrible combination, yeah, I think the guy has earned a lot of time off to do whatever makes him happy.

That's how I read it, too. He's being referenced on AEW television. His faction is still a thing. I think AEW certainly believes he'll be wrestling in their ring when and if he gets back. I probably want that more than is healthy, but I truly believe the only place he'll have the creative leeway to flesh out his character and lore is with Tony Khan. He's someone you put the World Title on when he's healthy.

• Like 4

There's a really fine line between having a cool, dark stable and just being kinda lame and not believable.  You can be kind of creepy and hint at the satanic, supernatural, pagan, or whatever your fancy.  But when you go just a slight bit too far, it's just mall goth edgelord bullshit.  Somebody should have reigned the House of Black in a tiny bit.  Spooky gang of creeps?  Cool.  Spooky gang of creeps who are cursing people and turning them evil via black mist?  No thanks.

I think things started to go downhill when Matthews joined, too.  Two tatted up weirdos with cool names?  Yes.  But then they're joined by a guy with no tattoos who spends more time doing curls than reading Lovecraft.  And his name is BUDDY.  Nothing is threatening about that.  Worse fit than Roma joining the horsemen.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 10

Malakai was Moses, he wasn’t supposed to see the promised land. 

Julia Hart is Joshua; she’s going to lead the HoB until they conquer AEW and she’ll break down the Walls of Jericho by tapping out Lionheart with her slick submission hold.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

What a stark contrast to around when Danielson came in.  I might be misremembering, but wasn't it the fact that the locker room was so tight lipped about Brodie being one of the reasons Danielson decided to come to AEW?

It was about being able to bleed for Danielson. Punk was the one who claimed it was about how they handled Brodie's sickness and passing.

I'm enjoying watching Sapp and others trip over themselves to report shit from MJF's interview with Ariel as if it was all a shoot.

EDIT: I do enjoy his dedication to his character and being a heel by both saying WWE has been better lately, but it also spits in the face of Vince's legacy. 

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

It was CM Punk I recall who talked about that.

But it's worth noting that CM Punk returning to wrestling and Bryan Danielson signing with AEW were both leaked last year, so *shrugs*

I don't know how you prevent leaks in a business like this where everyone is gunning for everyone's spot, wants to get on TV, and it's all such an ego-driven, attention-getting business. 

Even the entertainment business and politics can't prevent leaks. I don't see how wrestling can do it.

• Thanks 1