DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

I think it was worth mentioning here at least. The fact that THR put it in a story does mean there's some smoke there. 

Not sure what that would do to AEW, but any deal like this would likely not be finalized until after AEW's current TV deal is up. If NBCUniversal actually does agree to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery, if I am AEW, I would not want to be on Warner Bros. Discovery after that deal is finalized. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

There's no way NBCUniversal buying Warner Bros. should be legal. AT&T buying Warner Bros. shouldn't have been allowed either.

Well, after the latter, anything after that seems above board including the former. IMO it's apples and oranges though. With the AT&T thing, there was talk for what felt like years about it happening. However, despite the possible illegality of it, it felt like it was inevitable. The speculation of WBD and NBCUniversal merging seems to be, "if both aren't dumpster fires by now, then in a year and half, both will be huge dumpster fires and completely diminished".  There are a lot more things that need to fall in place before that would happen. One of those things seems to be David Zaslav being horrendous at his job and botching everything to the point where Warner Bros. is too toxic to turn around. It's trending in that direction.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Fightful says tentative plan for Revolution location is the Cow Palace. Saw the G1 special there and loved it. 

I think that will be a good venue for AEW, especially since they've never run it before. I think if NJPW can do about 6000+ at the Cow Palace, AEW should be able to sell it down as long as they don't price it out.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Saw that AEW is going back to Chicago around Thanksgiving, that should be...interesting.

For the record, I really like AEW and it's basically the only wrestling I watch, but... what the fuck? Go somewhere else, yo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If they don't go back because of fear of what Punk might have wrought, then he won. Tony can't possibly let that happen. Even if the show(s?) bomb at least they tried.

EDIT: Besides, Chicago is bigger than Punk. Fuck that guy. Let Eddie Kingston win the title there instead.

Edited by Curt McGirt

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If they don't go back because of fear of what Punk might have wrought, then he won. Tony can't possibly let that happen. Even if the show(s?) bomb at least they tried.

EDIT: Besides, Chicago is bigger than Punk. Fuck that guy. Let Eddie Kingston win the title there instead.

I just meant they did 3 nights there over Labor Day weekend, seems really soon after that.

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I just meant they did 3 nights there over Labor Day weekend, seems really soon after that.

They've shown up every 3-4 months since they've been touring again. The crowds haven't died down yet.

End of Aug-Sept 21, Nov 21, Feb 22, June 22, Aug/Sept 22. This is in line with business thus far.

• Like 1

Hasn't attendance kinda dipped in Chicago? Still obviously their best market but sure seems like it's oversaturated to me. 

Fightful just sent an update saying Chase Center is another option for Revolution in San Francisco. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Hasn't attendance kinda dipped in Chicago? Still obviously their best market but sure seems like it's oversaturated to me. 

Fightful just sent an update saying Chase Center is another option for Revolution in San Francisco. 

Going off of Cagematch's reported attendances

Rampage - First Dance Aug 21 - 15,316 - United Center

Dynamite - #100 Sept 1 - 5,884 - NOW Arena

Rampage - Sept 3 - 6,605 - NOW Arena

All Out - Sept 5 - 10,126 - NOW Arena (Wiki for attendance)

Can't find the November attendances

Dynamite - Feb 2 - 5,446 - Wintrust

Forbidden Door - June 26 - around 16,000  - United

Dynamite - Aug 31st - around 6,300 - NOW Arena

All Out - Sept 4th - around 9,100 - NOW Arena

Seems like there hasn't been a drop off

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I would run Oakland arena over both of those. Should be a happy medium. 

Finally, lol. 

• Like 2