DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

11 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Lost in all the hullaballoo was how disappointing the ATHENA/Jade match was. How long was Jade just bent over in the ring while Athena was dealing with the Baddies outside? It kind of feels like her progress has stalled.

It has but it was still her best match and an interesting approach with Athena pouring it on right away. I liked it despite Cargill plateauing. She's still so new to the game it's not always going to be great progress. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

Just now, Jiji said:

It has but it was still her best match and an interesting approach with Athena coming pouring it on right away. I liked it despite Cargill plateauing. She's still so new to the game it's not always going to be great progress. 

To, I thought Jade seem to be a little bit less robotic in her movement and flat footed.

That was basically a mid level WCW Saturday Night match from 1993.

• Like 3

I guess I wasn’t the only person who thought Jade/Athena evoked Lesner/Goldberg and what a great approach it is in handling her booking.

Don’t have her out there right now doing too much.  Just do a few things  done really well is more than enough while she is still… erm… green.

Not sure they really got everything they wanted out of the match at All Out.  But hey, just do a rematch and it’ll probably improve.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To, I thought Jade seem to be a little bit less robotic in her movement and flat footed.

That was basically a mid level WCW Saturday Night match from 1993.

In time, we'll get a WCW Worldwide performance from 1997

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Don’t have her out there right now doing too much.  Just do a few things  done really well is more than enough while she is still… erm… green.

Yeah, I don't know why that was but Jade did seem greener here than in many other matches! Maybe it was nerves or something, but it was basically oozing out of her for some reason, It was visible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

One for @Casey. I like the long tights. Never heard of long boys/short boys before.

long bois was what Punk nicknamed the, well, long tights. I loved that look personally. It felt refreshing and different. My least favorite of his attires were actually the ROH throwback against MJF at Revolution, and the white tights at All Out '22.

I miss Punk already, goddamnit.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
10 hours ago, JLowe said:

Was it Jade-Anna Jay that was surprisingly good?

"Surprisingly". Feh.

PUT ALL THE BELTS ON ANNA JAY!

12 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Lost in all the hullaballoo was how disappointing the ATHENA/Jade match was.

Really, lost in the hullaballoo was much match discussion to begin with. They set up Jade to fail. There's no way around that. Right now she can't get the matches she needs without exposing her wrestling and overexposing her as an act. She's had 14 matches in 2022. Less than an hour and a half of wrestling time and more like an hour and fifteen minutes if you factor in the two tags.

It's a Catch-22 now and unless they send her off to indies that aren't going to get filmed or to Japan for a bit or something, I'm not sure what the answer is. Working with Danielson is obviously great but it's not real match time.

• Like 4

The problem is that when you're booked as this dominant force, like Jade is, it really limits what skills you get the chance to develop in the ring, because there are large swathes of things you're not really doing. It's hard to get better at selling or feeding into offense when you're eating your opponent's lunch for 90% of the match. 

On an unrelated note, I hope we get to see more of the MCMG in AEW. I was always a little bummed they didn't get signed during early NXT's super-indy phase. Especially Alex Shelley who I feel has been underrated forever.

Give me the Guns vs FTR and the Guns vs. Best Friends and I will be a happy viewer. Or bring back Jack Evans and let them wrestle TH2 a couple of times.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's a Catch-22 now and unless they send her off to indies that aren't going to get filmed or to Japan for a bit or something, I'm not sure what the answer is. Working with Danielson is obviously great but it's not real match time.

I'm not sure why this isn't an easy breezy decision. Seems also obvious how beneficial it would be to have an 'AEW Dark' weekend house show schedule. 2-3 small shows every weekend for all the greenhornes. 

• Like 1

The top ten matches in AEW history on cagematch,:

FcNZ0gIakAALpSE?format=jpg&name=large

Mine:

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

2. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.

3. Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 30th December 2020.

4. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW St. Patrick's Day Slam Dynamite, 17th March 2021. *****.

5. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

6. MJF vs. CM Punk. AEW Dynamite, 2nd February 2022. *****.

7. CM Punk vs. MJF. AEW Revolution 2022. *****.

8. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Dynamite, 6th April 2022. *****.

9. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing 2019. *****. 

10. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Revolution 2020. *****.

---

Thoughts?

Edited by The Natural

On 9/10/2022 at 4:02 AM, Casey said:

long bois was what Punk nicknamed the, well, long tights. I loved that look personally. It felt refreshing and different. My least favorite of his attires were actually the ROH throwback against MJF at Revolution, and the white tights at All Out '22.

I miss Punk already, goddamnit.

AKA CM Trunks

16 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm not sure why this isn't an easy breezy decision. Seems also obvious how beneficial it would be to have an 'AEW Dark' weekend house show schedule. 2-3 small shows every weekend for all the greenhornes. 

They could work with local indies. Send some undercard talent that needs the work and tape one of the secondary titles in a defense for dark

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

They could work with local indies. Send some undercard talent that needs the work and tape one of the secondary titles in a defense for dark

So, exactly what they've been doing with Pac in RevPro?

• Like 1