DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

18 hours ago, L_W_P said:

AEW should bring back "Spin the Wheel" for a TV special every now and then.

Sadly they can't since the WWE brought it back for NXT Halloween Havoc. But a random match generator or something could work. I want to see two unlikely people thrown into a barbwire match.

• Like 1

I say BattleBowl is the way to go.

Also, I feel bad for Claudio. He's finally won a world title! For a promotion that basically doesn't exist. And he's defending it on the Youtube show against a guy who, well, should be on the Youtube show, while opening a pay per view in a multi-man ladder match that ends in a schmozz.

Kind of feels like a lateral move.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Sadly they can't since the WWE brought it back for NXT Halloween Havoc. But a random match generator or something could work. I want to see two unlikely people thrown into a barbwire match.

Brandon Cutler v Pretty Peter in an island death match

• Like 3

One of the most underrated gimmick matches that I've always wanted back was the Wild Card Elimination Match from Survivor Series 95.

Just grab 8-12 guys who are kinda feuding/involved with each other (easy with the way the AEW "Universe" works) and put them randomly in two teams with some sort of incentive for the winners. I thought it was really fun back in 95 and I'm surprised it was never done again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Dave Meltzer ratings for All Out 2022:

Sammy Guevara & Tay Melo (c) vs Ortiz & Ruby Soho (AAA Mixed Tag Championships): **.75

HOOK (c) vs Angelo Parker (FTW Championship): *.5

PAC (c) vs Kip Sabian (All Atlantic Championship): **

Eddie Kingston vs Tomohiro Ishii: ****.5

Wheeler Yuta vs Rey Fenix vs Penta vs Andrade vs RUSH vs Claudio Castagnoli vs Dante Martin v The Joker (MJF): ***.25

The Elite vs Hangman Adam Page & Dark Order (AEW Trios Championships): ****.5

Jade Cargill (c) vs Athena (TBS Championship): *.5

FTR & Wardlow vs Jay Lethal, Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley: ***.5

Powerhouse Hobbs vs Ricky Starks: *.75

Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland (c) vs The Acclaimed (AEW Tag Team Championships): ****.5

Toni Storm vs Britt Baker vs Jamie Hayter vs Hikaru Shida (AEW Womens Championship): ***

Chris Jericho vs Bryan Danielson: ****

Sting, Darby Allin & Miro vs House Of Black: ***.25

Jon Moxley (c) vs CM Punk (AEW World Championship): ****.25

---

I agree with those.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Sammy Guevara & Tay Melo (c) vs Ortiz & Ruby Soho (AAA Mixed Tag Championships): **.75

Wheeler Yuta vs Rey Fenix vs Penta vs Andrade vs RUSH vs Claudio Castagnoli vs Dante Martin v The Joker (MJF): ***.25

Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland (c) vs The Acclaimed (AEW Tag Team Championships): ****.5

Toni Storm vs Britt Baker vs Jamie Hayter vs Hikaru Shida (AEW Womens Championship): ***

---

I agree with those.

I think the Jade match is a bit low, at least a 2.25 and Danielson/Jericho a 3.5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

Keiji Muto has said he wants to do one final U.S. match (Prolly so his last one isn't PCW Ultra). Since AEW seems most likely, does he tag with Sting or face him?

I think you do Sting and Darby vs Muto and somebody.  I'm guessing there's a reason we haven't seen any Sting singles matches in AEW.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think you do Sting and Darby vs Muto and somebody.  I'm guessing there's a reason we haven't seen any Sting singles matches in AEW.

Nakajima is going to be in the U.S. in November...

20 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I say BattleBowl is the way to go.

Also, I feel bad for Claudio. He's finally won a world title! For a promotion that basically doesn't exist. And he's defending it on the Youtube show against a guy who, well, should be on the Youtube show, while opening a pay per view in a multi-man ladder match that ends in a schmozz.

Kind of feels like a lateral move.

I was thinking about this just the other day (Claudio, not Battlebowl). I think you're mostly right. Claudio exists in a similar place in AEW as he did in WWE at the end of his run -- steady hand, always over (more or less), usually in the upper-midcard, not quite in the title picture but you can put him there if you need to. I think the main difference is that in AEW he is treated as a star, no matter who he's working. His presentation (and reception!) is that of a main eventer, even if he is just out there holding high quality matches with whoever until the sun collapses in on itself. It's the same tired truism that there's just a ton of people on the roster and only one of them can be champ. I'm sure he'll get into the mix at some point and maybe even win it someday, and it will be a seamless transition from where he is now because of how he's been positioned. In WWE, I mean...for as fun as his brief moments of "What a workhorse/he's so strong/he's never been world champ but the people love him!" there was also just an endless amount of bad to nothing. Tossed around in the lower mid-card, meaningless title reigns, bad gimmicks, nothing sustained for very long. His best run in WWE, I think, has got to be his tag team with Sheamus. Outside of that, until very recently, it's hard to point to a period where he was treated like much of anything other than just some guy who's around. In AEW, he certainly feels IMPORTANT, even if he's not the focus. We'll see how that looks over the next, year, though. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, porksweats said:

Ideal world - Facing 

Reality - Teaming

Darby, Sting & Muto v Pullman Jnr, Anderson Jnr & "A Mystery Partner"

Bell rings and Muto IMMEDIATELY mists Sting in the face, leaving Darby 1 on 3.

Sting makes the big heroic return, hot tag, pins Pillman to send the crowd home happy.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

---

I agree with those.

Too high on Jericho-Danielson (which I'd argue to be at or just above three stars), and low (and arguably significantly low) on SIOG vs. Acclaimed, as that was right on the border for five stars for me and right there with Bucks-FTR for my AEW proper tag match of the year (counting Briscoes vs. FTR matches as ROH). The storytelling in that match was fucking incredible, and enough big moves/moments to carry it right to the five-star level. AS I wrote in the All Out thread, that match elevated from an over act (that was passable AEW level in the ring) to legit superstars. If the re-match at Grand Slam is anywhere near that level, The Acclaimed will be cemented as top of the company and also proof that they work far better as faces (sort of opposite of Jericho).

• Like 4