DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

Fuck. That sucks. 

AEW talent have heard Malakai Black granted conditional release

It looks like Malakai Black is effectively done with AEW for now.

Fightful Select reported last week that Malakai Black had asked for his AEW release in August, but that the request was not granted. AEW in an official capacity had told us the rumors that he was gone from the company weren't true, but it would seem they changed their stance.

Numerous talent informed is that they've been told that Malakai Black is done with the company for the foreseeable future, with many saying that he got his release. AEW sources claim that the release is highly conditional, which isn't usually the case for the company. Usually, AEW doesn't even release talent outside of disciplinary reasons, and requests for release are done on a case-by-case basis. We're told by many in the company that Tony Khan specifically wanted to retain Black, and hoped to see him as a part of the brand "for years to come." There were efforts to have conversations to salvage the working relationship that AEW believed were fruitful, however we're told that a meeting took place sometime recently and it was decided that if Black wanted out, they should probably allow it.

Black kissed goodbye and bowed to the AEW crowd after All Out. 

Talent are of the belief that there are heavy restrictions on Black, and there may be more to the agreement, including conditions that would prevent him from wrestling elsewhere any time soon. Black withdrew from a September 9 indie show in Ohio, according to PWInsider. AEW sources told us that the door isn't closed on a potential return for Black as far as they've heard.

Whole scoop from Fightful. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Significantly bummed by this news (though, I guess if you're a Bray Wyatt fan you're probably out there reading it with your fingers crossed).

Bray being anywhere would be nice, but he's not called for here. They've still got two great singles or a fine tag team here. Brodie King getting a step up in the pecking order probably isn't going to bother many of us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Bray being anywhere would be nice, but he's not called for here. They've still got two great singles or a fine tag team here. Brodie King getting a step up in the pecking order probably isn't going to bother many of us. 

Oh, I'll definitely co-sign that. I guess I was thinking about it more focused on the aspect of the trios division, and kind of wanting to add someone thematically similar so it doesn't seem like it's just "tag team + 1" if they go that route. 

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

It sounds like a mental health thing for Black. I really hope he’s okay and that he comes back better than ever…

If his back is as bad  people say it is then I'd rather he retire than end up dead for a pain killer induced heart attack or in a wheelchair

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Oh, I'll definitely co-sign that. I guess I was thinking about it more focused on the aspect of the trios division, and kind of wanting to add someone thematically similar so it doesn't seem like it's just "tag team + 1" if they go that route. 

Buy PCO's contract from Impact! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Does Buddy Matthews ring gear always look like someone dumpster diving for discarded wrestling gear? I'd love to see him with slightly modified look and away from all the witchcraft stuff. Meanwhile, have Brodie join Hobbs in the hoss division chasing Wardlow.

29 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Maybe Matthews or Brody join Miro as a teammate as they've been redeemed

I love this - even though the match Sunday a was pretty decisive ending, I think there might still be some mileage yet in doing Miro/Matthews/Brody vs Darby/Sting and someone

Edit: If we're ever going to get to Miro/Wardlow for the TNT title, Wardlow would be a good third for Darby/Sting, but that means dropping wherever we're heading with he and FTR (which may very well still be wrapped up in the MJF stuff, so too much might need to be changed)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

Just Dallas the title switch.  Mox steps out of the shower, Renee walks in and hands him the belt, Ross and Excalibur put over that Mox retained at the ppv.  Go from there.

Edited by madl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Miro & Brody King become best bros when Miro realizes Brody's band is called God's Hate.

I'd love if after he's done being the Redeemer, Miro's next gimmick is inexplicably that he's just a mid '00s hardcore kid. Works every match in camo shorts, maybe shoots an angle where Lana leaves him because he smells bad from eating vegan and having gross, infected gauges

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Does Buddy Matthews ring gear always look like someone dumpster diving for discarded wrestling gear? 

He's been wearing the floppy pleather shorts for a while now, I kinda like that his gear looks different but still like something a pro wrestler would wear

• Like 1

I'm totally fine with Black leaving on the mist spit and really it might be the best exit for any character I can think of. Is there any other villain that simply had to go that got thumped in a way totally suitable for their character? Maybe Matsunaga stabbing himself? I just love the whole "hoisted by his own petard" thing I guess. 

Brody and Buddy will be fine. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm totally fine with Black leaving on the mist spit and really it might be the best exit for any character I can think of. Is there any other villain that simply had to go that got thumped in a way totally suitable for their character? Maybe Matsunaga stabbing himself? I just love the whole "hoisted by his own petard" thing I guess. 

Brody and Buddy will be fine. 

Heels burned by Lawler leaving Memphis that threw the fire first (Eddie)? 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 3