DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

2 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

God can you imagine Excalibur having to enthusiastically put over CM Punk as a beloved babyface after this, he'd probably top out at "arguably...a good...wrestler!"

I can believe that was the plan, but Kenny Omega returned and they finally decided to do a trios tournament they had put off for a while. I mean FTR weren't exactly being shoved out the door. They got three major titles and they got a big spot on Forbidden Door where they became three belt champions. 

I can get being frustrated or disappointed, but holding onto that is spoiled, petty behavior.

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

A friend told me that story from Cody's appearance on jericho's show and I couldn't believe it. Who comes out and calls themself the locker room leader?! Did he get a little tin star to put on his chest too? Lmao. Booker's reaction was perfect. 

It’s all about that Burger King cardboard crown, baby!

2 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

TLDR Sapp is suss as fuck in all this mess he's been stirring up for months. Fuck him. Yeah yeah, CM Punk has a history of being a prick and I'm not 100% trying to defend him, maybe like 40% defend him, but yeah Punk can be a prick backstage but I feel like all this shit falls on Sapp and he needs to be held accountable and come clean with who the fuck his sources are imho

Your takeaway from all this is that SRS needs to be held accountable for the actions of a thin skinned individual? Nobody forced Punk to bring up Colt Cabana. Nobody forced Punk to throw hands. If you were in a staff meeting and started talking shit about your co-workers and superiors in front of your boss, then became involved in a physical altercation with your superiors, would you have an expectation that your actions would be seen as sympathetic or justified, or would you expect to be suspended/fired/arrested?

Even if someone did leak information about Punk/Cabana, so fucking what? It boils down to whether you are a professional or not. Punk shit all over his co-workers, took the wind out of every raised sail after the PPV, and basically did not put his company first...all over something that should have been addressed back in May, in a staff meeting (not like the one in my scenario above). And, all over something that the majority of fans had no idea was even a thing, nor cared about if they did. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, punkenhead said:

Your takeaway from all this is that SRS needs to be held accountable for the actions of a thin skinned individual? Nobody forced Punk to bring up Colt Cabana. Nobody forced Punk to throw hands. If you were in a staff meeting and started talking shit about your co-workers and superiors in front of your boss, then became involved in a physical altercation with your superiors, would you have an expectation that your actions would be seen as sympathetic or justified, or would you expect to be suspended/fired/arrested?

Even if someone did leak information about Punk/Cabana, so fucking what? It boils down to whether you are a professional or not. Punk shit all over his co-workers, took the wind out of every raised sail after the PPV, and basically did not put his company first...all over something that should have been addressed back in May, in a staff meeting (not like the one in my scenario above). And, all over something that the majority of fans had no idea was even a thing, nor cared about if they did. 

Yeah trying to make this about Sapp and wrestling gossip is a strangely weird take to me. Punk was clearly set off by Hangman's comments way back in May, no reporters or Sapp had anything to with that. We didn't know about those comments making Punk furious and angry until August after Punk "went into business for himself" to give Hangman a receipt in August. Until Punk dropped that line, virtually no one knew there was anything out of the ordinary or that Punk was pissed at Hangman. 

Nothing that Sapp reported was particularly egregious either. It's typical wrestling backstage stuff that's been reported on for decades, even before the internet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, punkenhead said:

Try to get to you and VileOne both here

My point is, which I've laid out across multiple posts..

SRS/Fightful is sitting at the center of several shit storms over the past few months, with tweets and patreon reports saying one thing, then rumors and gossip mill ramp up, and when shit hits the fan, Fightful deflects from doing a retraction by "reporting" well in our defense, we never said we got our info directly from these folsk we're reporting on

Did the leg work for those tweets, you can check out my last posts from recent 24 hours ?

I get what you and VileOne are saying, but I've stressed it enough, ? two things can be true at the same time

1) Punk is a dick/jerk/asshole/bitter etc

2) Fightful barely meets the standards of journalism, they're way more tabloid sleaze 

To the 1st point, which again feel free to scroll through last 24 hours of my posts as I've said it enough times, I'm not standing up for Punk but rather looking at the shituation he put the company and others in, and looking for the source aka what's at the root of all this

And bringing up May and what happened back then doesn't really fit into this, imo, because he didn't really seem to have an issue with this until his injury and absence* when all the rumors swirled up without him around to debunk or address them

He gets put on leave, likely wants to rehab in peace, I imagine all the shit he's hearing gets to him, he gets a hot mic in front of the press and unleashes a shitstorm (*that's my takeaway from his comments at the presser)

Now sure, he can see himself as a martyr and all that, don't think I've tried to paint him as a (2nd city) saint here, but again going by his words if I put myself in his shoes then fuck yeah I see how that shit would build up to a boiling point and sho nuff he's wrong for airing dirty laundry in public so to speak 

But rewind to before the injury, the rumors were swirling about Punk getting Cabana booted same as the rumors were swirling that FTR had heat with Bucks (which FTR had to address in a tweet then they had to go back and address it again when they got left off the videogame and rumors swirled about the future of FTR with AEW)

Now for the root of all this shituation again I go back to those tweets I shared in previous posts 

Fightful seems to be at the center of this given how frequently they keep pumping out WELL WE DIDNT HEAR THIS FROM THEIR MOUTH DIRECTLY, BUT WE'RE NOT RETRACTING OUR REPORTING EITHER

My bone to pick with them is how they're crowing about their subs growing when that growth is apparently fueled by gossip and lies.

Back to Nick, say that Ace cracking him in the head with a chair leads to the black eye, maybe getting knocked out. From the reports I've read of Aces wife being backstage watching over Larry and the Bucks going after Punk to confront him, I can totally see Ace trying to kill someone seeing his wife is innocently in the middle of all the chaos. Say Nick's retina is damaged, or he's concussed and has to miss action.

That's reckless behavior on Aces part no doubt. Unprofessional. But that shit imo isn't happening without one shit stirring "website" running around spreading lies and gossip for months, which then gets picked up and spread and quoted as a source ad nauseum until the boys get worked into a shoot and now careers are on the line if not outright done

But I guess I'm deflecting, and the boys losing jobs is totes fine, hey gossip sites are just doing their job,let the boys do theirs, fragile egos aside? ? /s

Dunno. For all the memes I shared of Nick getting laid out, at the end of the day if he ends up with serious head damage/trauma from Ace likely trying to take his block off, im a feel shitty for Nick and his family, reading all the reports from today that we didn't have yesterday 

Anyone potentially taking serious injuries, I mean if any talent has to miss weeks or months for injury from this melee, that sucks. Should some talent miss time for suspensions over brawling, fuck yeah! The two are not mutually exclusive if you ask me

Like Newbury said, fightful got over 10k subs off this. Yay fightful! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So there's that clip of previous Punk promos going around where MJF and Kingston take what people perceive to be some stuff shots, and some are wondering what's so different from the Hangman situation. After rewatching, I think it comes down to a key distinction: 

• Eddie and MJF are either talking about verifiable past behaviour (Punk quitting in the past, airing his grievances on a podcast, having a willingness to sue), or speculating about the present and future (you're gonna quit again, people don't want you here, etc.), whereas -- 
  • Page is speaking accusatorily about things Punk has done to actively undercut people since joining AEW, in what we now know was not a planned piece of business

I think it's pretty clear why one incident may have stuck in his craw more than others. And as he said in the scrum, he's had to eat shit on this for a long time, so I understand the frustration and desire to say something.

Everything after that is trouble. But I think equating what Page did with the MJF/Kingston promos ignores some nuance. 

Another logical leap to add to all that, there's a high probability they ran those lines by Punk. Yeah the delivery was biting and harsh, but even still these guys bounce ideas off each other. I feel pretty sure they'd have at least asked if it was okay to touch on this stuff out there.

So while MJF & Kingston said harsher things, Hangman went into business for himself by alluding to Cabana without running it by Punk. Trust me I'd have some real heated enemies in my career and no matter how bad I'd like to make them look, I've always run at least the subject by them beforehand to make sure it was something I could talk about. It's professionalism. You'll make yourself look real bad to others in that back that wouldn't want that treatment. The Hangman thing, saying something shitty without approval, has ramifications beyond Punk. Like if he's willing to do that to Punk he's willing to do that to anyone he works with ya know.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

That's reckless behavior on Aces part no doubt. Unprofessional. But that shit imo isn't happening without one shit stirring "website" running around spreading lies and gossip for months, which then gets picked up and spread and quoted as a source ad nauseum until the boys get worked into a shoot and now careers are on the line if not outright done

I think you too greatly elevate the influence fightful has to be a needle mover. Whether they stirred the shit or not, it all goes back to Punk's unprofessional reaction. How are you going to be in a business like pro wrestling and be that thin skinned?

The issue should have been handled more professionally, if Punk truly does care about "the boys in the back" like he purports. He intentionally made the focus of the PPV weekend about him and not the company and the workers who put on a good show. He totally killed the buzz for MJF's return. He totally shit on the hard work of everyone involved. Those are not the actions of a professional, even before throwing hands entered the equation. 

Also, unless Ace Steel is a world renowned chair flinging marksman, it makes no sense that he would be flinging furniture in the same room where he is worried for his wife's safety. 

I just worry for Larry's mental health through this whole ordeal. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

2) Fightful barely meets the standards of journalism, they're way more tabloid sleaze 

I think they know.

It's not his fault media literacy is in the toilet. If the standard is "HE DIDN'T HEAR IT FROM THEIR MOUTH DIRECTLY," that's gonna really be handcuffing for a lot journalism, so I'm not sure that's the correct standard. If you don't like gossip and sleaze, fine, but let's not pretend those sorts of outlets never break or cover anything real. 

Some talk may be more out in the open because of him, but he's not going to stop grown people from punching and biting one another or breaking into rooms if they're inclined to do so. This really isn't about him. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Didnt see it like that first, but I getcha VileOne, Punkenhead, an Newbury. ? Good points for me to think on.

*added

Just caught up on navel gazing thread and saw the article Newbury shared about Tony being all "let them hate each other, thats cool!" FUUUUUUUCCK if that doesn't give me a new perspective now

Fuck anyone unprofessional enough to settle shit off camera for zero money by throwing hands.

if they cant work that shit out in ring for a payday, fuck em. Fire em. Thats the environment tony wants to foster? Gtfo if they can't find a way to make some $ with that drama. Unprofessional asses

Edited by Hayabusa
Newburys post smartened me up in Navel thread
  • Like 2

Just now, Hayabusa said:

Didnt see it like that first, but I getcha VileOne, Punkenhead, an Newbury. ? Good points for me to think on.

My issue with all of them, especially SRS, is that a decent portion of what they are reporting still sounds like BS to me. I'm not denying that an altercation took place, but from there it's devolved into seeing Ferris at 31 Flavors level of exaggeration. In general, I think that journalism/reporting is basically in the toilet, and well wrestling journalism is a very loose subset of that. Someone like SRS may even claim to be a rumor mongerer, but he still gets super defensive if you dare question the veracity of his reports.

• Like 5

I've had my issues with Cody Rhodes, but now he looks like the ultimate genius, and he got out of AEW at just right the time and seemingly returned to WWE at just the right time. And when he comes back from injury, as long as Triple H doesn't screw it up, he could become one of the biggest stars on the planet.

Like literally none of this is his problem right now, and he's probably much better off for it.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, evidence said:

Not sure how long Statlander is expected to be out but I wouldn't mind having Hayter be the one to end the streak of Jade Cargill if Stat can't. 

I think that'd be cool. They definitely sowed the seeds of discord with Britt Baker and Hayter. Hayter could be the one to unseat Jade, and that could start a feud between Baker and Jamie. Plus the fans are really taking to Jamie as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I've had my issues with Cody Rhodes, but now he looks like the ultimate genius, and he got out of AEW at just right the time and seemingly returned to WWE at just the right time. And when he comes back from injury, as long as Triple H doesn't screw it up, he could become one of the biggest stars on the planet.

Like literally none of this is his problem right now, and he's probably much better off for it.

I have zero faith in hhh to use cody the way Vince wanted to. It sounds like their relationship has never been better than “cordial.”

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, evidence said:

Not sure how long Statlander is expected to be out but I wouldn't mind having Hayter be the one to end the streak of Jade Cargill if Stat can't. 

9 to 12 months. Possibly longer depending on how rehab goes and how the ligament holds up.

• Sad 4