DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

The issue is that now the race is on for it to be as much a work as possible. The blurred lines are driving clicks and subs and allowing things to be blown out of proportion. Everyone wants to dig in and find the facts here: They’re long gone. Only the stories remain. Even Tony going on record isn’t going to help matters. 

• Like 4

Just now, TimLivingston said:

The issue is that now the race is on for it to be as much a work as possible. The blurred lines are driving clicks and subs and allowing things to be blown out of proportion. Everyone wants to dig in and find the facts here: They’re long gone. Only the stories remain. Even Tony going on record isn’t going to help matters. 

Even with major news stories...the level of bad reporting and misinformation being spread is absurd. That in turn creates future conspiracy theories cause now people have something to grab hold to. That's a battle no one is going to win.

Based on this circumstantial evidence provided by random people, I can now believe this is a work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Which is wild in itself. It's the company's top star throwing hands with supposed executives. It shouldn't be possible to blow that out of proportion. ?

The Bucks new Twitter bio should read "Working in an unsafe work environment".

The internet wrestling community would automatically self destruct. That's meta on top of meta.

• Like 2

I posted this over at PWO but this is how it is from the 10,000 foot view at this point:

Everyone did this to themselves:

-The Bucks and Omega did it because they’re the leakers to Meltzer and the like to sow the seeds of discontent with Punk. 

-Punk did it because he reacted with the unheralded vitriol that made him leave the business in the first place and the first sign of malice was an opportunity to give into his worst impulses. 

-Page did it because he worked himself into a shoot and it made things difficult to actually confront Punk about it because in his eyes, he should be the face of the company, worked it into multiple promos related to Punk, and then more or less did what his on-screen character did in the locker room. 

-Tony did it because he grew up reading dirtsheets and thought using them as a vessel to drive “organic” interest in the product no matter how it actually manifests itself is worthwhile because that’s what got him interested in wanting to do this shit in the first place. 

-And the sheets did it because they run a perpetual motion machine that when actually confronted with needing to report on something, show their collective asses because their sources are obvious and their behavior screams, “How can I get more clicks off this?”

The ecosystem that allowed this to fester is something that won’t go away anytime soon, and the fallout from it is not going to be as interesting as anyone hopes. It will be sudden, it will be dumb, and it’ll end with whoever decides to take a side saying the other person did it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

I posted this over at PWO but this is how it is from the 10,000 foot view at this point:

Everyone did this to themselves:

-The Bucks and Omega did it because they’re the leakers to Meltzer and the like to sow the seeds of discontent with Punk. 

-Punk did it because he reacted with the unheralded vitriol that made him leave the business in the first place and the first sign of malice was an opportunity to give into his worst impulses. 

-Page did it because he worked himself into a shoot and it made things difficult to actually confront Punk about it because in his eyes, he should be the face of the company, worked it into multiple promos related to Punk, and then more or less did what his on-screen character did in the locker room. 

-Tony did it because he grew up reading dirtsheets and thought using them as a vessel to drive “organic” interest in the product no matter how it actually manifests itself is worthwhile because that’s what got him interested in wanting to do this shit in the first place. 

-And the sheets did it because they run a perpetual motion machine that when actually confronted with needing to report on something, show their collective asses because their sources are obvious and their behavior screams, “How can I get more clicks off this?”

The ecosystem that allowed this to fester is something that won’t go away anytime soon, and the fallout from it is not going to be as interesting as anyone hopes. It will be sudden, it will be dumb, and it’ll end with whoever decides to take a side saying the other person did it. 

Insert the Rock clapping gif here. Well said, Tim. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

Page did it because he worked himself into a shoot and it made things difficult to actually confront Punk about it because in his eyes, he should be the face of the company, worked it into multiple promos related to Punk, and then more or less did what his on-screen character did in the locker room.

How do you know any of this? Page said something that wasn't nearly as bad as anything Kingston or others said to Punk, and Punk held a grudge for three months. For all of Punk's "If you have a problem, talk to me," did he try to talk to Page before his "receipt" on Dynamite?

Meltzer swears up and down they didn't hear any "leaks" from the Elite. Everyone ELSE on the roster seem to have looser lips.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

How do you know any of this? Page said something that wasn't nearly as bad as anything Kingston or others said to Punk, and Punk held a grudge for three months. For all of Punk's "If you have a problem, talk to me," did he try to talk to Page before his "receipt" on Dynamite?

Meltzer swears up and down they didn't hear any "leaks" from the Elite. Everyone ELSE on the roster seem to have looser lips.

For what it's worth, Sean Ross Sapp, who reported on the issues with Punk, Cabana, and rest of the roster, said he never spoke to The Bucks and Omega on this either.

Edited by TheVileOne

It's really not hard to see Punk's arrival either directly or indirectly leading to Cabana leaving the promotion. You really don't need leaks to put 2 and 2 together there. Pretty sure everybody here was thinking it could be a possibility. Think it was the Bucks that got him the ROH gig after the fact. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It's really not hard to see Punk's arrival either directly or indirectly leading to Cabana leaving the promotion. You really don't need leaks to put 2 and 2 together there. Pretty sure everybody here was thinking it could be a possibility. Think it was the Bucks that got him the ROH gig after the fact. 

It's Tony Khan's fault for not addressing or fixing this directly when they signed Punk. People were definitely talking about this a year ago. Punk's had alleged heat with Jericho before as well. But at his press conference, Punk said he doesn't have an issue with anyone in that locker room.

So there's that clip of previous Punk promos going around where MJF and Kingston take what people perceive to be some stuff shots, and some are wondering what's so different from the Hangman situation. After rewatching, I think it comes down to a key distinction: 

• Eddie and MJF are either talking about verifiable past behaviour (Punk quitting in the past, airing his grievances on a podcast, having a willingness to sue), or speculating about the present and future (you're gonna quit again, people don't want you here, etc.), whereas -- 
  • Page is speaking accusatorily about things Punk has done to actively undercut people since joining AEW, in what we now know was not a planned piece of business

I think it's pretty clear why one incident may have stuck in his craw more than others. And as he said in the scrum, he's had to eat shit on this for a long time, so I understand the frustration and desire to say something.

Everything after that is trouble. But I think equating what Page did with the MJF/Kingston promos ignores some nuance. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Let's assume for a second that's true. Is Page at fault for not realizing that ahead of time? I never would have thought Kingston would lose his mind about being called "fat," either.

People are talking about Page "going into business for himself," but unless Punk explicitly told him not to talk about it ... well, I'm pretty sure AEW promos aren't line-edited before they reach air.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 4

I don't know who's at fault. Page knew he was sitting on incendiary material about what's known to be a touchy subject. What action should he have taken and what responsibilities did he have? Not for me to say. Just trying to add context that differentiates it from the MJF and Eddie clips flying around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I don't know who's at fault. Page knew he was sitting on incendiary material about what's known to be a touchy subject. What action should he have taken and what responsibilities did he have? Not for me to say. Just trying to add context that differentiates it from the MJF and Eddie clips flying around. 

If this was an issue in May, why wasn't it taken care of and resolved in May?

• Like 1

There was an erroneous comment at least in fightful's reporting that Cabana also seemed to indicate that he'd be uncomfortable working in AEW with Punk in the same building. I feel like people haven't highlighted that enough, and I honestly can't blame Cabana for feeling that way. It's definitely a two-way persona non grata situation with those two. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It clearly should have been. I'm only drawing a distinction between several on-screen comments, not offering advice in hindsight. 

That's not how this works!  You must state everything definitively and offer up you opinion on the matter as fact!  DO IT, JOHN!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It clearly should have been. I'm only drawing a distinction between several on-screen comments, not offering advice in hindsight. 

I think the distinction is that Cabana is still friends with those guys and Punk knows it. And this is still an exposed wire for him. 

If this is a shoot, Punk seems to believe The Elite are the source of leaks. It definitely does appear to be a case of paranoia. Now maybe it's justified. I don't know who is leaking what. 

I still fault Tony Khan for not taking a more hands on approach in attempting to deal with this at the outset. If I'm Tony Khan do I do everything in my power to sign CM Punk and make him happy yes? But I already signed Colt Cabana to a contract. So I would've damned make sure to address or resolve that problem as soon as possible. 

But I do think Miro's reaction is a good point too. Punk has ghosted a lot of people who he perceived slighted him, so his whole rally for the workers things doesn't always come off as genuine coming from him. Clearly guys like Cody and Booker T also took offense when Punk tried to call himself a locker room leader.

I think the problem with Punk lecturing people in the back and calling yourself a leader, well if you are a locker room leader, you lead and lead by example. You don't walk around and call yourself one.

I am starting to think that Triple H's promo about Punk needing to be a martyr was a shoot comment that was legit.

Edited by TheVileOne

3 minutes ago, Log said:

That's not how this works!  You must state everything definitively and offer up you opinion on the matter as fact!  DO IT, JOHN!

Fine. Hangman should have been forced to wear the Turkey Bowl suit and been paraded around the Impact Zone as punishment.

Are you happy?! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Clearly guys like Cody and Booker T also took offense when Punk tried to call himself a locker room leader.

A friend told me that story from Cody's appearance on jericho's show and I couldn't believe it. Who comes out and calls themself the locker room leader?! Did he get a little tin star to put on his chest too? Lmao. Booker's reaction was perfect. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

For what it's worth, Sean Ross Sapp, who reported on the issues with Punk, Cabana, and rest of the roster, said he never spoke to The Bucks and Omega on this either.

And that has been my issue with all of this from the beginning. Sapp's the one who posted that it was confirmed MJF had a flight out during that one weekend where MFJ no showed the fanfest and left everyone wondering if he would make it to the PPV vs Wardlow

When everyone else but Sapp said they hadn't heard anything, then MJF did pop up at the ppv, Sapp never retracted his report. He just said "well we didn't hear it from MJF himself" but he's the one who got the bees nest going with his MJF booked a flight outta town tweet

I had to go dig up the old tweets because Sapp is doing that shit again, well we never said we heard this from the Elite themselves which is the playbook he used with the MJF thing

That's why in the non stick September thread I was saying this dude should confirm who the fuck his sources are since he keeps stirring the hornets nest then plays innocent by doing the whole "well, we didn't hear from them directly!

Granted Casey said a good journalist wouldn't/shouldn't give up their sources, and I meant to reply there (i'll do that in a sec) but at this point can anyone say for certain that Sapp is a reliable journalist? He's become TMZ or better yet Weekly World News with his clickbait headlines.

TLDR Sapp is suss as fuck in all this mess he's been stirring up for months. Fuck him. Yeah yeah, CM Punk has a history of being a prick and I'm not 100% trying to defend him, maybe like 40% defend him, but yeah Punk can be a prick backstage but I feel like all this shit falls on Sapp and he needs to be held accountable and come clean with who the fuck his sources are imho

Bucks wives? Callis? Butler?