DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

Ha, I'm sorta with team JR. It's the reason I'm not going to be watching live. Further, I would love for AEW to consider doing an afternoon/night time double header. Two separate 2 1/2 hour to 3 hours shows.

a. Part 1 @ 4pm
b. 1 hour intermission @ 7pm
c. Part 2 at 8pm

Pre-shows as countdown packages only. And with this - I predict no burnout or exhaustion! That is none for me and Good Old Jim Ross. Secretly tho, Fuck Jim Ross and his unprofressional and irritating commentary. I suspect Jim goes down in a blaze of glory, so sit tight and enjoy the stupidity of all the 'Gold' he provides week in and week out. Also, I suspect I'm gonna be thoroughly satisfied with the result of a two part version of this potentially incredible All Out show. This is a thoroughly Excellent card.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Every Grilling JR

“There was this talent down in the Southwest during the 70s, Jizz Rogers. Jizz was a running back at Florida State before he blew out his knee. After he got laid off from the local racism factory he became a really good hand for Burt Merkin’s promotion. The boys didn’t care much for Burt because he made me inspect all of them for eye herpes before each show, which I told him I wasn’t sure, I’m not an eye doctor, but a few of the fellas probably got shitcanned for having a sty or allergies. Anyway, that all goes a long way to me saying the Young Bucks are the greatest tag team in the world.”

"You know I signed Dwayne Johnson, right? I took him to a restaurant when I signed him and he didn't have 5 dollars. But I saw how the girls were looking at him. You know what? If some of these dudes would just work out more instead of worrying bout their damn push and go to the gym more and stop slapping their thighs....man how stupid you fucking gotta be to stand around with your dick in your hands and let someone jump off the top...fuck."

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Let JR go back to WWE to end his career. I'm sure he'll love not having Vince in his ear, and wrapping things up in "the big leagues" doesn't negate his time in AEW. Win win win. 

He won’t do better without Vince in his ear, though.  The man has severe daddy issues and needs an overbearing toxic male figure like Vince or Watts treating him like shit and keeping him in line or else you get awful commentary like we see in AEW.  Just look at his history.  He has literally done his best work while working for alpha male shitheads.  I’m convinced if TK would just yell at him and walk all over him, his performance in AEW would improve.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

I agree with a lot of what JR says, but I fundamentally disagree with his on air surliness.

He even shits on guys who clearly display a lot of the things he actively wants.  Cabana was a particular target, Colt always looked in great shape, played College football, can work a classic style but JR still couldn’t be nice about him!

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

He won’t do better without Vince in his ear, though.  The man has severe daddy issues and needs an overbearing  toxic male figure like Vince or Watts treating him like shit and keeping him in line or else you get awful commentary like we see in AEW.  Just look at his history.  He has literally done his best work while working for alpha male shitheads.  I’m convinced if TK would just yell at him and walk all over him, his performance in AEW would improve.

...I just don't wanna hear him in the main promotion I follow, but you're totally right. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

He won’t do better without Vince in his ear, though.  The man has severe daddy issues and needs an overbearing  toxic male figure like Vince or Watts treating him like shit and keeping him in line or else you get awful commentary like we see in AEW.  Just look at his history.  He has literally done his best work while working for alpha male shitheads.  I’m convinced if TK would just yell at him and walk all over him, his performance in AEW would improve.

It's like Russo in a sense. People didn't realize you got to have someone to keep the train of the proverbial tracks. When you let him go unimpeded, you're in for the worst.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Every Grilling JR

“There was this talent down in the Southwest during the 70s, Jizz Rogers. Jizz was a running back at Florida State before he blew out his knee. After he got laid off from the local racism factory he became a really good hand for Burt Merkin’s promotion. The boys didn’t care much for Burt because he made me inspect all of them for eye herpes before each show, which I told him I wasn’t sure, I’m not an eye doctor, but a few of the fellas probably got shitcanned for having a sty or allergies. Anyway, that all goes a long way to me saying the Young Bucks are the greatest tag team in the world.”

Canonize this man

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

...I just don't wanna hear him in the main promotion I follow, but you're totally right. 

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's like Russo in a sense. People didn't realize you got to have someone to keep the train of the proverbial tracks. When you let him go unimpeded, you're in for the worst.

As far as I know, TK has never unironically referred to himself as a cowboy, touted the size of his balls, or made fun of Bell’s Palsey.  How could Ross possibly respect him?

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

The announcers obviously hate working with him. You can tell from Taz and Excalibur on Dark. Last week Taz crucified his Mox/Punk call.

I think he did that because JR's lockup call steamrollered Excalibur, who was in the middle of a sentence.

I think there's no way JR goes anywhere for a while. Whether or not the other announcers hate him, he complains about guys, or even the wrestlers hate him, he's still the most famous "beloved"* wrestling announcer out there. It's like when Vince kept trying to replace him/downgrade him, the fans would always want him back. He's got a significant amount of mainstream cache from his time calling the biggest era of wrestling right down to memes (Every time there's a big hit, fall or some other nonsense in traditional sports, you'll always end up with a meme of JR shouting "He's broken in half"), and I think that's probably a much bigger selling point when trying to sell your product (Even as he undercuts a large portion of it!) to advertisers and TV Networks than trying to promote a guy in a mask whom no one has heard of as your lead announcer. 

*outside of message boards etc. a good portion of the audience still thinks of Good ol' JR as grandfatherly-type announcer. 

• Like 3

yeah, i think i'm done making AEW priority viewing. this company is becoming less of what i enjoyed and more of what i didn't want to see happen. 

[keeping this spoiler free] Almost every scenario that happened at All Out (excepting the Starks/Hobbs match, which i was completely torn on because i want to see both of them get actual pushes and succeed) was the exact thing i didn't want to see. Culminating in both the trios titles and world title situations. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Ok this is an interesting take

Everyone loves the returning hero, seemingly, until they flip on a dime and stop loving the hero, seems to be his take

Sounds like he's saying you can't call someone an asshole if you don't know them personally.

Fuck that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It’ll be interesting to see how TK handles discipline in this situation. His recent m.o. has been to not announce suspensions, but it’s going to be hard not to explain why the new World and/or Trios champs aren’t around (if indeed he suspends anybody).

• Like 3