DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Tony Khan only has one ace left to play, and that's MJF. He better not screw it up.

Dog, why do you have to be so dramatic all the time?

Now that we're back in a proper promotion war, guys will jump back and forth for years to come unless AEW falls off big time. He could've brought Wyatt in if he really wanted to play da jokah bb.

It's not going to be big surprises that get AEW out of this rut, it's going to be long-term solid booking.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Dog, why do you have to be so dramatic all the time?

Now that we're back in a proper promotion war, guys will jump back and forth for years to come unless AEW falls off big time. He could've brought Wyatt in if he really wanted to play da jokah bb.

It's not going to be big surprises that get AEW out of this rut, it's going to be long-term solid booking.

Because Tony Khan escalated the drama.

Is this really a proper promotion war? 

Also, what is a long-term booking scenario if not this MJF storyline? Tony Khan is the one who leaned heavily into the "watch Dynamite tonight for a big surprise/big announcement as the pro wrestling landscape shifts!" strategy. Lots of big debuts, and then inconsistent sporadic appearances from week to week.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Because Tony Khan escalated the drama.

Is this really a proper promotion war? 

Also, what is a long-term booking scenario if not this MJF storyline? Tony Khan is the one who leaned heavily into the "watch Dynamite tonight for a big surprise/big announcement as the pro wrestling landscape shifts!" strategy. Lots of big debuts, and then inconsistent sporadic appearances from week to week.

I'm not of the opinion that one magic bullet storyline can turn this around or elevate AEW to the next level (if that's even possible, I'm starting to doubt it). It's just consistent, good booking from top to bottom. Even right now, there's still some good stuff going on. Hobbs and Starks has been built well, even though the QT shit sucks and was unnecessary. Danielson aiming to liberate Garcia from the clutches of Sports Entertainment has been awesome full stop. Think the Jungle Boy/Christian feud stalled a bit and was the opposite feeling of so many of the rushed matches on Sunday's card, but still solid booking overall. 

MJF, HOOK, Garcia, or one of the other next generation of guys could be big stars but it really does feel like they are not going to be pulling 2 million viewers regardless of how good the show is and who they bring in. I do think it's a wrestling war though. It's not very close at the moment but there's still competition and people will sign with the opposition.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What? No. I'm talking about changing the momentum and how people talk about AEW right now.

Ivelisse AND Leva Bates reforming the Aces & Eights, you say? Goddamn, book it son.

I haven't really been feeling the good consistent storytelling for a while. Not to mention, how guys are all over Dynamite/Rampage and then they just disappear for weeks if not months. 

Scorpio Sky disappeared after losing the title to Wardlow. Ethan Page I think got one match on TV in July and hasn't been seen since.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Scorpio Sky disappeared after losing the title to Wardlow.

Wasn't he injured? They could have a Mean Gene UPDATE kind of segment to let us know of such things but time is tight already.

Page is going to be with Stokely's project, isn't he? I do miss Dan Lambeezy ngl.

Edited by Jiji

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I'm not of the opinion that one magic bullet storyline can turn this around or elevate AEW to the next level (if that's even possible, I'm starting to doubt it). It's just consistent, good booking from top to bottom. Even right now, there's still some good stuff going on. Hobbs and Starks has been built well, even though the QT shit sucks and was unnecessary. Danielson aiming to liberate Garcia from the clutches of Sports Entertainment has been awesome full stop. Think the Jungle Boy/Christian feud stalled a bit and was the opposite feeling of so many of the rushed matches on Sunday's card, but still solid booking overall. 

MJF, HOOK, Garcia, or one of the other next generation of guys could be big stars but it really does feel like they are not going to be pulling 2 million viewers regardless of how good the show is and who they bring in. I do think it's a wrestling war though. It's not very close at the moment but there's still competition and people will sign with the opposition.

I just think there's a lot of people here who view AEW as being a success on terms from a different time. In this entertainment landscape, they are doing about as well as anyone could really hope.

Yeah, they could do a few things to broaden their appeal, but honestly, that would run off as many fans as it'd bring in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

They beat Raw in the demo I believe multiple times. Since then, WWE has come on big time and AEW has fallen off slightly. They're still doing relatively well but I miss those days and it seems now that Vince's rot is out of the way, the window on that happening anytime soon again is closed.

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Wasn't he injured? They could have a Mean Gene UPDATE kind of segment to let us know of such things but time is tight already.

Page is going to be with Stokely's project, isn't he? I do miss Dan Lambeezy ngl.

A ton of guys are going with Stokely, and then suddenly on Dynamite, it's just Stokely and W. Morrissey. There's no consistency.

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Stokely's recruiting people individually (or in the case of the Gunns, the team individually) one at a time. The W Morrissey recruitment is consistent with every other non-Jade/baddies thing he's done for weeks. ?‍♂️

Why not focus on Jade Cargill and the Baddies before he starts recruiting like 20 guys? 

Where's Lee Moriarty?

Edited by TheVileOne

8 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Here is the probably real reason why people might want to go back to WWE from AEW more than anything else:

The WWE turned a profit of $256 million last year.  

If you are a wrestler looking to sign a five-year deal, who do you think is the better bet that you'll get paid over those five years? That's not to say AEW is in any trouble. But the WWE is a much safer bet for someone looking for financial security. And it becomes that much more alluring if you have a good relationship with the new boss whereas you might not have one with your current one.

A) How much of that profit was them cutting performers with big money contracts? Braun, Wyatt and I'm almost sure a bunch others released last year would like to say hi, I'm sure

B) Financial security? The Good Brothers and Allison Danger say hi. Along with how many roster cuts from 2021 there were. Not to mention that NXT 2.0 iirc was doing that 90 day trial wasn't it? Isn't that why parker lesnar jr. got released (can't remember the guy's name for shit beyond folks think he looks like Lesnar facially*)

Ok side rant because Greggulator is a great guy and I don't wanna make this post come off like I'm wholly disagreeing, just partially.

*Is Will Ospreay the son of Xpac? For real! Between Adam Cole looking like a shorter HBK and Ospreay looking like a more muscled Xpac, I'm wondering if the partying days of the 90s is giving us the offspring of some of those guys (lunch rambling so excuse the shitty train of thought/shitty grammar)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw someone a page or two back talk about elevating Andrade, Malakai and those guys up to the main event scene - which would be more than refreshing. However, what about the next batch of talent? You want to talk about a hierarchy in AEW, this is about how I judge it.

Main Eventers - Kenny Omega, Chris Jericho, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Jon Moxley, Hangman Page, MJF
Next In Line - Andrade, Miro, Malakai Black, Adam Cole(?), PAC
Gonna Wait a While - Jungle Boy, Ricky Starks, Sammy Guevara, Darby Allin

It's so log jammed at the top that... I just don't see when some of these guys are going to be in the main event scene. They're gonna have to wait for Punk, Jericho, Danielson, etc to retire before getting bumped up? And there are even some names I didn't put on the list like Keith Lee, Powerhouse, Wardlow. Where do you put everyone? When I look at the AEW roster, it looks like 10% main eventers, 80% upper midcarders, and then 10% jobbers. 

76 wrestlers have a winning record in 2022 
17 wrestlers have a losing record in 2022 (counting managers [Mark Sterling])

Isn't it hard to draw definitive lines of where people are on the card when everyone is booked as a winner?

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

Frankly, I think getting away from the Undisputed thing is gonna do wonders for Adam Cole. He needs to freshen up his gimmick, big time. 

Even I’d give him a chance if he got away from that hacky nonsense. I do think he needs a heater. If he’s gonna be a homeless man’s hbk, he needs “big daddy lukewarm” to complete the act.

• Like 2