DVDVR Message Board

September 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

7 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Some fans think Orton is really off tv to get his tats removed. 

https://tjrwrestling.net/news/several-issues-randy-orton-lawsuit/

The Hulu/WWE deal seems to be renewed. No longer any expiration dates listed.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, there was a lawsuit involving tattoos in 2K games a few years ago. A lot of games just put generic knockoffs in the place of the actual tattoos.

6 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I prefer Bret/Owen to Bret/Austin, but only because the finish builds on a finish from an entirely different match in such a way that if you were watching regularly, you were rewarded for doing so. 

I think this is a perfect match, which is a bit different from saying it's five stars. I'd probably give matches that rating that have clear flaws overwhelmed by the goodness in the match. I wouldn't change a single thing about Bret/Owen, though. It accomplishes literally everything it tries to achieve. 

I love how Bret Hart could finish matches in a variety of ways - how it worked sometimes (vs. Bigelow at King of the Ring 1993) but not others (vs. Owen at WrestleMania X).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I love how Bret Hart could finish matches in a variety of ways - how it worked sometimes (vs. Bigelow at King of the Ring 1993) but not others (vs. Owen at WrestleMania X).

The subtext being that Owen wanted to beat Bret so badly he scouted all of his matches and was able to recognize that trick and stuff it was amazing.

That's why Bret's the G.O.A.T. to me. He crafted matches that managed to feel like legit sport competitions in a way no one else ever has for me.

• Like 5

That match spoke to me.

I watched it with my younger brother. Scared the shit out of me that he'd be able to beat me.

From that day forward, I refused to ever bump or sell for him on our trampoline again, I called all the spots.

He's now facing charges of threatening our mother's carer with a knife and I have an AVO out on him. Are they connected? Dunno. Maybe.

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The subtext being that Owen wanted to beat Bret so badly he scouted all of his matches and was able to recognize that trick and stuff it was amazing.

That's why Bret's the G.O.A.T. to me. He crafted matches that managed to feel like legit sport competitions in a way no one else ever has for me.

I always loved how Bret seemed like he had a legit game plan when he wrestled. He always made it seem like he had spent time watching tape of his opponent and then studied the best way to beat him. Like how a coach in football will see an opposing team that's aggressive and will use quick passes to take advantage of that, Bret would wrestle a big guy and get him to tire himself out. The Survivor Series match against Nash is the best example of that. Bret knows he can't win a straight up fight so he figures that all he has to do is last long enough to get Nash drop his guard for a split second and capitalize. And I love how he and Nash play mindgames with each other at the beginning by removing the turnbuckle padding to reinforce the No DQ stip. Just beautiful storytelling.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 7