DVDVR Message Board

September 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

21 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

As an eight year old, I would record the audio of WWF shows onto cassette tape, so I could listen to them in bed. As a result, the commentary of Summerslam 93 is seared into my mind, especially Vince shouting 'Jannetty is an opportunist! Marty Jannetty is as opportunist!' during his comeback against Ludwig Borga.

Borga was my favourite wrestler of all time for the, like, three months he existed for a kid who didn't get to see Raw, only PPVs my grandparents had recorded for me. After all, he beat Tatanka, who I hated, and came out to the Finnish national anthem, which was like The Mountie's instrumental theme song but even more stirring and epic. As a general rule, the more a heel came across like a James Bond henchman, the more I liked them.

You were a strange and genius eight year old, I am sure you are still carving your own path through life. When I get my time machine I will pay you a visit and ,with your grandparents, I will take us all to a house show with my futurepast money and foresight.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

The loss of faith in Savage seemed to be around that time Vince stopped a match with Flair at a taping mid-way through, and insisted they restart it.

I don't think I've heard that story before. Are there more details? Did the stop-and-start ever see the light of day?

I thought the story was that they taped the match, Vince hated it, so later during the same taping they sent them out for a rematch, but the fans figured something was up when Razor came out at the same point as the previous match. I could be misremembering and I'm sure someone has a more complete answer

Flair’s version of what happened was that it was that Vince didn’t like how much Hennig was interfering in the match, but Randy also may have been dogging it because he wasn’t happy about dropping the title. 

The other thing to remember is that this was the same time as his marriage to Elizabeth was dissolving and she wasn’t on the road with him anymore. He was just not the same guy anymore and with everything else going on at the time Vince needed someone he could rely on while he put out all of the other fires. 

You can pretty much tell they use the beginning of the first match and then at some point they switch to whatever they did in try #2. The fans suddenly don't really give a damn about the match and Macho definitely looks like he has been wrestling more than a five or six minutes.

For a world title match, there is exactly zero atmosphere. 

On 9/27/2022 at 8:56 PM, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

It was Tatanka, Luger and the Steiners first, but Tatanka was "injured" after he lost for the first time against Borga. Yokozuna crushed him after the match. Luger injured Pierre as retribution. Undertaker replaced Tatanka, Crush replaced Pierre. 

The show was super weird. Harts vs Kings Court without Lawler. Instead HBK who had nothing to do with that storyline at all. The Knights featuring Greg Valentine. The Smoky Mountain Tag Title match with almost 0 crowd reaction. Opener with Jannetty and Kid winning. The 4 Doinks.... 

I probably rented this from Movie Galleey like 8 times. I loved that angle w Luger & Taker & Yoko and everything. I was not a discerning child…

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You can pretty much tell they use the beginning of the first match and then at some point they switch to whatever they did in try #2. The fans suddenly don't really give a damn about the match and Macho definitely looks like he has been wrestling more than a five or six minutes.

For a world title match, there is exactly zero atmosphere. 

If I remember the finish and post-match correctly, having to be carried out by Warrior pretending he was Richard Gere, only missing the "Love Lift us Up" soundtrack, might've also played a factor.

• Haha 4

What are some examples of inopportune bleeding in wrestling?

Last week Britt Baker had her nose busted open and then had to do a post match bit and it got me thinking if there were more egregious examples of unfortunate unplanned bleeding. Like Goldberg in WWE somehow cutting himself during an entrance and continuously bleeding through a promo.

Has there ever been instances of someone being busted open hardway in a trivial, lighthearted type match where blood changed the dynamic? I'm thinking something like some smiley faced 80s babyface accidentally busting his jobber opponent open or being busted open himself. Or someone accidentally bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig in a match but then having to complete a pre-booked post match promo/skit. I'm kinda laughing at the idea of Scotty 2 Hotty having to do the worm with a crimson mask.

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I probably rented this from Movie Galleey like 8 times. I loved that angle w Luger & Taker & Yoko and everything. I was not a discerning child…

IIRC our Movie Gallery and the local video store ran by my brother's best friend's mom had the most gaps chronologically between WWF and WCW releases that I pretty much rented the same tapes as a kid until I was much older.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This probably isn't the right thread for this, but I have listened to this 15x and cannot stop laughing:

https://twitter.com/VRTLPROS/status/1575470430751784960?t=PajuaZUHkgiJQ1_oTtH2tQ&s=19

Embedded because everyone needs to hear this.  It’s only 1:11 long.  I laughed for at least 2 min afterward,

edit: Max Caster really needs to troll Dave by cutting a rap on Ben Franklin next week on Dynamite.

Edited by madl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Swift said:

What are some examples of inopportune bleeding in wrestling?

Last week Britt Baker had her nose busted open and then had to do a post match bit and it got me thinking if there were more egregious examples of unfortunate unplanned bleeding. Like Goldberg in WWE somehow cutting himself during an entrance and continuously bleeding through a promo.

Has there ever been instances of someone being busted open hardway in a trivial, lighthearted type match where blood changed the dynamic? I'm thinking something like some smiley faced 80s babyface accidentally busting his jobber opponent open or being busted open himself. Or someone accidentally bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig in a match but then having to complete a pre-booked post match promo/skit. I'm kinda laughing at the idea of Scotty 2 Hotty having to do the worm with a crimson mask.

Didn't Kerry Von Erich accidentally blade himself while getting ready for his SuperClash match vs Lawler which caused my to bleed so profusely during the match? Or is that a wrestling urban legend im misremembering?

• Like 5

No that was very real. He had it taped to his finger and accidentally zipped his arm as he was taking his robe off. That just made it strange. Also exposed the shit out of the business.

I'm guessing if you tape a shard of a razorblade to your finger, you would want to be as lucid as possible and not high as a kite like Kerry would be.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart at WrestleMania X, a ***** masterpiece. The only match I have above it is Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from WrestleMania 13, *****.

I prefer Bret/Owen to Bret/Austin, but only because the finish builds on a finish from an entirely different match in such a way that if you were watching regularly, you were rewarded for doing so. 

I think this is a perfect match, which is a bit different from saying it's five stars. I'd probably give matches that rating that have clear flaws overwhelmed by the goodness in the match. I wouldn't change a single thing about Bret/Owen, though. It accomplishes literally everything it tries to achieve. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 5