DVDVR Message Board

September 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Beyond that, for a guy who was touted as such a good worker, there's really few examples of that.

I've always felt Booker kinda worked up or down to the level of his opponent put him in there with Finlay or Benoit and its great but don't expect him to really carry anyone

• Like 1

Booker's best of 7 with Benoit was fantastic at the time and pretty innovative as far as breaking out of the formulas of '90s TV wrestling. I'm not sure I've ever thought of Booker as a super worker, he was a great TV worker and an athletic big dude.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Booker's best of 7 with Benoit was fantastic at the time and pretty innovative as far as breaking out of the formulas of '90s TV wrestling. I'm not sure I've ever thought of Booker as a super worker, he was a great TV worker and an athletic big dude.

This is where I'm at. I'm doing a Nitro/WCW PPV watchthrough, and Booker is an excellent athlete who is good at clubbering and is a solid bumper/seller, too. He's got a signature bump (kick whiff that leads to a self-crotching on the rope) that always gets a good pop, and he looks impressive flying through the air. It's not just that he was being compared to a guy in Stevie Ray who doesn't have the athletic ability that Book does; he's genuinely an explosive athlete who is good at bumping, selling, and stooging just to the right amount.

He's basically always good for a good match, but he's not going to be in great ones very often. Partially, that's the nature of when he finally became a singles star (in an era where great matches were fewer and farther between because of the style). By the time he was ready for liftoff in WWE, he'd lost some of that athleticism and wasn't strong enough in other areas to make up for that, though he's always been underrated when it comes to heel stooging.

I'd classify Booker as basically the line for "are you good enough in ring to be featured as a main event talent?" I think his career as a sometimes World Champ and dominant tag team member is right about in line with his ring ability and charisma levels. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 12

I might be the minority here but I think WWE's tag team division is better then AEW's.

I know AEW have 3 great tag teams in the Young Bucks, FTR and The Lucha Bros but I think WWE having Imperium back they are starting to get a really good tag divsion.

I also think The Uso's don't get enough credit from wrestling fans as being a great tag team. 

You also have The Brutes, New Day, Street Profits as well. I also like Gable and Otis's team.

If you would of asked me even 6 months a go I would of said AEW's tag division is so much stronger but not now.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think Booker's best stuff was the early Invasion when he was getting absolutely nuclear heat.  I remember him having some really good matches with Angle and Jericho around that time.

It's certainly memorable, that I will say. He had so many great matches with Regal, Finlay, etc. but my first inclination was to ask if fighting Austin at the grocery store would count. 

Secondary to that, I remember really, really liking his TV title mini-program in early '98 with Rick Martel but I can't remember if Superbrawl was the best one, or if they had better on TV 

• Like 4

By the time Stevie got that Achilles injury, you could really tell Booker had really worked hard on every phase of his game. Even the tag matches several months before that, he was carrying more than his fair share because he was getting big face pops when Harlem Heat were kinda heels but not really due to WCW feuding with the NWO.

There is a good TV match he had with Lex on the 10/20/1997 Nitro where Lex basically puts Booker over post match with Gene Okerlund. He carried Lex in that match to the point where Lex was super impressed. I think everyone probably saw star written all over him.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's certainly memorable, that I will say. He had so many great matches with Regal, Finlay, etc. but my first inclination was to ask if fighting Austin at the grocery store would count. 

Secondary to that, I remember really, really liking his TV title mini-program in early '98 with Rick Martel but I can't remember if Superbrawl was the best one, or if they had better on TV 

I remember a great TV match with Martel and I didn't get the WCW PPVs at that time. That was a good program, Martel was looking really good and then got badly injured. I saw on Wiki the injury was at Superbrawl, and then he got hurt again when he tried to come back in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Boydy said:

Eddie Kingston talking about his mental health struggles resonates with me and helps me with my mental health struggles. 

I hope this video helps people.

I came here to post this, @Boydy as someone who suffers from mental health issues including self-harm and suicidal thoughts. I've always asked the community here to keep it to here as very few know that. This moved me. If any of y'all need to talk or someone just to listen, please PM me. Thanks, Paul xxx.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I came here to post this, @Boydy as someone who suffers from mental health issues including self-harm and suicidal thoughts. I've always asked the community here to keep it to here as very few know that. This moved me. If any of y'all need to talk or someone just to listen, please PM me. Thanks, Paul xxx.

Cheers Paul much appreciated. I am in a good place lately through using exercise as a way of coping etc. 

But I will message you if I need to talk and also if you ever need to talk then please message me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Boydy said:

Cheers Paul much appreciated. I am in a good place lately through using exercise as a way of coping etc. 

But I will message you if I need to talk and also if you ever need to talk then please message me.

Cheers, Boydy. Glad you're good and thanks for saying I can PM you if I need to. Best wishes, Paul xxx.

22 hours ago, Boydy said:

I might be the minority here but I think WWE's tag team division is better then AEW's.

I know AEW have 3 great tag teams in the Young Bucks, FTR and The Lucha Bros but I think WWE having Imperium back they are starting to get a really good tag divsion.

I also think The Uso's don't get enough credit from wrestling fans as being a great tag team. 

You also have The Brutes, New Day, Street Profits as well. I also like Gable and Otis's team.

If you would of asked me even 6 months a go I would of said AEW's tag division is so much stronger but not now.

The Acclaimed. SioG. Private Party have gotten really good again. Andrade & RUSH. Silver & Reynolds have gotten really good. Best Friends. The Ass Boys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

The Acclaimed. SioG. Private Party have gotten really good again. Andrade & RUSH. Silver & Reynolds have gotten really good. Best Friends. The Ass Boys.

Don't get me wrong I love both companies tag division.

I just seem to enjoy WWE's tag team matches more then the AEW's stuff lately. 

I do love the Acclaimed though.

I also do enjoy Private Party's entrance. I wish I had their rhythem lol.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:31 PM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

What's Booker T's best match?

Booker T vs. Bret Hart from the 2/22/99 Nitro gets my vote for Bookers best singles match. Easily one of Bret's top 3 WCW matches too in my opinion. It might be the last great Bret singles match (other than the Benoit match from later that year). I can't find a version to link to in good quality unfortunately. But check it out if you can.

• Like 6