DVDVR Message Board

September 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

So apparently if (and only if) I use Firefox as the browser on my older tablet I can post pictures. Hooray! I will now post too many pictures! Start of the party:

: 3ZAUvoI.jpg

End of the party: (Cooger's mask-free face blurred out):

tfAMKFi.jpg

Meeting Yuka, who also got a mask:

hQyceBA.jpgM1TFniC.jpg

Yoshiki the promoter:

:3txHCn7.jpg

MMA guy Tetsu Kondo:

tfdW8hH.jpg.

Dotonbori Pro wrestlers Kinron and Koyama:

5PC6G0B.jpg6WLXO0B.jpg

Back to work! I will prob. post several more in a few hours.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 20

17 hours ago, JLowe said:

Love how Brock very subtly and naturally gets himself away from the ropes and into position for the pin...

I've got 5 likes on this rather than laughs and I'm worried that my sarcasm didn't come through.

Totally random: just discovered that there’s a weatherman in Nashville named Marcus Bagwell (who looks more like 2 Cold Scorpio than Marcus Alexander Bagwell, so the confusion would only be in name)

That guy probably doesn’t mind that Buff Bagwell obtained all of his wrestling fame after switching first names?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I've got 5 likes on this rather than laughs and I'm worried that my sarcasm didn't come through.

To be fair it happens so quickly that you can easily view it as Brock trying to get up but being too loopy from the knee. Not like an "unconscious" wrestler scooting their entire body into position for a dive. Brock is nothing if not smooth.

26 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Totally random: just discovered that there’s a weatherman in Nashville named Marcus Bagwell (who looks more like 2 Cold Scorpio than Marcus Alexander Bagwell, so the confusion would only be in name)

That guy probably doesn’t mind that Buff Bagwell obtained all of his wrestling fame after switching first names?

This man is clearly from a mirror universe. You have to kill him to preserve the integrity of our universe before things begin to unravel. Or, he has already caused things to unravel so killing him should stop things as they are.

• Haha 3

From Sapp. Throwing this in the general thread because it involves multiple companies:

Ryan Frederick on the Wrestling Observer message board that current AEW EVPs Young Bucks sent out feelers within the company to gauge possible interest whenever their contracts are up. This has been an ongoing rumor among sources Fightful has spoken to dating back to August. One source indicated that they've been sworn that the Bucks asked to speak to someone in management, which we've been unable to confirm, but the rumor has persisted within WWE for several weeks.

Sources close to the Young Bucks say that they haven't been given that indication whatsoever. That person would likely be in a good position to relay that information, but says they aren't sure who the Young Bucks would even reach out to in that regard.

It's worth noting that we'd heard people who worked in talent relations had outright reached out to AEW talent last month.

Another source that has long worked with higher ups confirmed they'd heard the rumor, but hadn't asked people of influence within WWE, because they weren't sure how that would be received. However, they were there in 2018, and were quick to remind us that the Young Bucks nearly signed with WWE then before helping start All Elite Wrestling. That person believes that they wouldn't even need to gauge interest about coming into the company, and would likely be taking the temperature on other situations related to possible free agency.

We were given no indication prior to AEW All Out that the Young Bucks wanted out of AEW. Since then, talk of that has remained quiet for obvious reasons regardless. We'll be asking more about this among people backstage in the company today at Raw. 

• Like 2

I made it through work OK yesterday but fell asleep immediately once I was done. No hangover yesterday, either! Got some nice messages from party hosts and attendees, apparently good times were had by all. I can post pictures on the site using Firefox, but I can't make paragraph breaks (?) So this'll be a wall of text followed by a(nother) bunch of (random) pictures. I'm gonna include a picture of Spel Delfin, cuz it illustrates the wrestling thing that was on my mind at the party. In that as much as Osaka Pro was a pro wrestling happy Camelot that I got to be part of there have been rifts and splits even in Osaka Pro's history. Some people there still  harbour hard feelings toward Delfin. My friend Cooger/Kuuga split from the promotion. Camelots don't last forever. We are lucky if we get to experience their brief flourishing in person. Why am I thinking a lot about that this week in particular? Who knows. Also: Fuck CM Punk. But nothing is better than the atmosphere at a Kuuga party. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful park (Hamdera Koen, in Osaka). I got to see many friends that due to covid I haven't seen for over three years. And I got to make at least three new friends all of whom I will exchange big joyful greetings with the next time we meet. Maybe in December. It is very much an "if you are Cooger's friend then you are my friend" situation. I may very well be the only gaijin many of the 34 atendees and half a dozen hosts generally interact with. Maybe me and Quiet Storm. My Japanese is still the shits considering how long I have been here. Makes no difference. Everyone is so patient with me. 5 hours of non-stop drinking and eating and shooting the shit. Too much laughter. Many hugs and fist-bumps. I hope everyone has situations like this in their life. I remain utterly grateful that I can be part of this. What a gift. Speaking of: Oh boy is it hard to see while wearing that mask! I cannot believe Kuuga does his senton atomicos and other crazy stuff while visually impaired to that extent. Anything below knee level is basically invisible. While making my way to the convenience store to help with buying ice cream to be shared at the party, like everything everybody brought or bought was shared, I literally could not tell the difference between the mowed grass and the high grass until the high grass started tickling my shins. Did I wear the mask on the hour-plus train ride home? You know I did. I also wore it to the supermarket and the convenience store. I passed by an older man who was holding hands with (presumably) his tiny granddaughter. I almost plowed into her because I could barely see. Tragedy was avoided at the last moment. We both stopped. He whispered to the little girl. She bowed deeply and said "konnichiwa." I returned the courtesy. We all smiled and moved on.

aphUEFO.jpgannsbSN.jpgBbPpRcL.jpg74XRgVS.jpg892sXHV.jpgN41oNNa.jpgRMQfyOC.jpgWwo6EbT.jpgLCZXEfx.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

KEzplIi.png

And so this isn't just a meme post I've been watching old Memphis TV since Memphis has been one of my big wrestling blind spots and boy I was not prepared for Lawler to drop several slurs on the first episode.  Like I know '79 was a different time but I didn't realize they were just letting shit fly on TV.

It's a shame because the angle (Jimmy Valiant trying to insert himself into a tag title match) was good as hell otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

And so this isn't just a meme post I've been watching old Memphis TV since Memphis has been one of my big wrestling blind spots and boy I was not prepared for Lawler to drop several slurs on the first episode.  Like I know '79 was a different time but I didn't realize they were just letting shit fly on TV.

It's a shame because the angle (Jimmy Valiant trying to insert himself into a tag title match) was good as hell otherwise.

Up until just a couple years ago, like 90% of face promos against heels was basically, "Huh huh. That guy's gay.  Huh." It's jarring just to hear some of the shit that was being said even into the 2000s.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

When your dad is Jun Kasai.

Not sure if there is a clip of it anywhere, but this reminds me of Kyoko Kimura carrying a crying Hana Kimura after one of her deathmatches in BJW 16 years ago. The fact that this is so much the norm Jun's kid doesn't even react just amuses me. Also kind of wondering how many kid he has now as I know he has an older one he took to Stardom shows a few years back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Log said:

Up until just a couple years ago, like 90% of face promos against heels was basically, "Huh huh. That guy's gay.  Huh." It's jarring just to hear some of the shit that was being said even into the 2000s.

Dude, I’ll write more about it when I start writing up Summerslam 89 in the other thread, but the over the top WWF brand of Dusty Rhodes was more of an offensive racial caricature than Akeem could ever be.  I felt dirty watching that promo.

So yeah, I fully agree that wrestling’s past is full of straight awfulness that was acceptable at the time.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Guy filming himself in his car. That's usually a fountain of quality information.

There's also the first 20 seconds or so of silence punctuated by a  repeated "Is this thing on?" that really lends it gravitas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Guy filming himself in his car. That's usually a fountain of quality information.

Don't tell me the guy who preyed on underage fans isn't someone to be trusted ? That's just not possible ? WWE always tells us how their superstars put smiles on the WWE Universes faces ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1