DVDVR Message Board

September 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
58 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

LEAVE MARK DAVIS ALONE! 

He is living his best life.

If that's his best life, I'd hate to see his worst.

1) Al Davis would have made for a heck of a wrestling personality

2) If the Queen had died a week ago (on Thursday the 1st instead of yesterday the 8th), would that have impacted Clash at the Castle? They’re cancelling soccer games this weekend due to the death so I’m just curious if the WWE managed to narrowly avoid a bit of a mess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

As of right now (0430 ET), it's only tonight's lower league matches. No decision as of yet. Polls seem to show people don't want stuff canceled. 

Now canceled. But apparently cricket, rugby and golf stillon.

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

1) Al Davis would have made for a heck of a wrestling personality

2) If the Queen had died a week ago (on Thursday the 1st instead of yesterday the 8th), would that have impacted Clash at the Castle? They’re cancelling soccer games this weekend due to the death so I’m just curious if the WWE managed to narrowly avoid a bit of a mess

Based on the Claressa Shields vs. Savannah Marshall card being postponed, which is basically the biggest women's only boxing card in history, Clash at the Castle would have likely been postponed as well or maybe cancelled cause that would throw off their schedule/booking. The local promoter of the Shields vs. Marshall card tried to go forward with the card to the point of moving the weigh-ins back several hours only to get shut down. Given that Shields/Marshall and women's boxing in general has a tough time galvanizing fans to buy tickets (w/ Katie Taylor vs. Amanda Serrano being the exception), I imagine they definitely didn't want to postpone this card and a full month at that. That's rough.

• Sad 1

They don’t seem to be cancelling “entertainment” like West End theater. Plus, it was in Wales and it seems like things are a bit more normal in Wales and Scotland than England proper. 

they probably could have gotten away with a moments silence. I mean, it’s wrestling. People already have a low opinion of it. 

Just now, odessasteps said:

They don’t seem to be cancelling “entertainment” like West End theater. Plus, it was in Wales and it seems like things are a bit more normal in Wales and Scotland than England proper. 

they probably could have gotten away with a moments silence. I mean, it’s wrestling. People already have a low opinion of it. 

I doubt it. The usually "we will be the entertainment the world needs" thing they usually do wouldn't have worked because it's a notable stadium show. Also, the venue would have likely shut them down as a courtesy so it would look like it wasn't their choice much like the Raymond James Stadium thing a couple years ago.

• Like 1

This is also the company that was proudly the first thing to come back after 9/11. 

supposedly, the DCMS (culture /sports ministry) left it up to the individual sports about whether to play or cancel and football chose to cancel this weekend while other sports didn’t.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

This is also the company that was proudly the first thing to come back after 9/11. 

supposedly, the DCMS (culture /sports ministry) left it up to the individual sports about whether to play or cancel and football chose to cancel this weekend while other sports didn’t.

9/11 happened at a much different time in the company. They were also 2 1/2 years removed from continuing a show after a person died. In the ring. There is no way in the hell the WWE would do that now.

Now, coming off the Vince controversy and trying to keep away any bad press, they would have 99% postponed that show out of respect. That said, they would have seen how quick they could have rescheduled it. 

• Like 1

My new top ten matches for the year:

10. Bianca Belair vs. Becky Lynch. WWE WrestleMania XXXVII Night 1, 2nd April.

9.  Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii. NJPW Wrestling Dontaku, 1st May. *****.

8. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Dynamite, 6th April. *****.

7. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Jay Briscoe/Mark Briscoe. ROH Death Before Dishonour, 23rd July. *****.

6. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Jay Briscoe/Mark Briscoe. ROH Supercard of Honour, 1st April. *****.

5. CM Punk vs. MJF. AEW Revolution, 6th March. *****.

4. MJF vs. CM Punk. AEW Dynamite, 2nd February. *****.

3. Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins. WWE Hell in a Cell, 5th June. *****.

2. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January. *****.

1. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus. WWE Clash at the Castle, 10th September. *****.

---

Three honourable mentions:

3. Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins. WWE WrestleMania XXXVII Night 1, 2nd April.

2. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Battle of the Belts III, 5th August.

1. Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 6th March.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

My new top ten matches for the year:

Thanks for that, some stuff there I haven't caught yet that I'll go back to catch this weekend (especially as there's no football this weekend because of the whole dead queen thing)

My own top 10, for something with almost no crossover with yours

1. MUSASHI vs Fujita "Jr" Hayato, Michinoku Pro, 1st July, Michinoku Pro Tohoku Junior Heavyweight Title
  2. Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Go Shiozaki, NOAH, 1st January, GHC Heavyweight Title
  3. El Lindaman vs Shigehiro Irie, GLEAT, 18th May, G-REX Title
  4. Z-Brats (Diamante & Shun Skywalker) vs Kung-Fu Masters (Jacky Funky Kamei & Jason Lee), Dragongate, 30th July, Open The Twin Gate Titles
  5. Arisa Nakajima vs Tsukasa Fujimoto, SEAdLINNNG, 29th April
  6. The Briscoes (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs FTR (Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood), ROH, 1st April, ROH World Tag Team Titles
  7. Daisuke Masaoka, Jun Kasai & Masashi Takeda vs ERE (Drew Parker, Toshiyuki Sakuda & Violento Jack), FREEDOMS, 10th July *
  8. Bandido vs Mike Bailey, Wrestlecon, 31st March
  9. Kenoh vs Kaito Kiyomiya, NOAH, 1st January, GHC National Title
  10. Fuminori Abe vs Masato Tanaka, 8th July, ZERO1, Fire Festival

* notes a deathmatch.

Top 6 are all matches I have at *****

I think my favourite thing about 2022 wrestling is that I have a Tomoaki Honma match in my top 25, the Kasai & Honma vs DOUKI & Despy match from TakaTaichiMania 2.5 in May. El Desperado vs Jun Kasai has been one of the most entertaining low-key rivalries in Japan over the past few years, since they met in a wild & violent brawl in 2019 where Despy broke his jaw & that meant DOUKI got booked for the Best of the Super Juniors & the wonderful little gremlin has been a highlight of New Japan's juniors ever since.

• Thanks 1

FcOu4kTaMAEgnWE?format=jpg&name=large

Chris Van Vliet is right. I have the following main roster matches at ***** since 1997:

• Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin. WrestleMania 13.
  • Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker. In Your House 18: Badd Blood.
  • Steve Austin vs. Dude Love. Over the Edge 1998.
  • Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. Royal Rumble 2000.
  • Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit vs. Edge/Rey Mysterio. No Mercy 2002.
  • Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. No Mercy 2002.
  • John Cena vs. Umaga. Royal Rumble 2007.
  • The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania XXV.
  • The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania XXVI.
  • CM Punk vs. John Cena. Money in the Bank 2011.
  • John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. Extreme Rules 2012.
  • The Shield vs. Team Hell No/Ryback. TLC 2012.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. SummerSlam 2013.
  • The Wyatt Family vs. The Shield. Elimination Chamber 2014.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. Batista vs. Randy Orton. WrestleMania XXX.
  • Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns. WrestleMania XXXI.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles. TLC 2018.
  • Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins. Hell in a Cell 2022.
  • GUNTHER vs. Sheamus. Clash at the Castle 2022.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I think when most people talk about weeping tears of joy it means more than when I talk about it. Because I cry a happy tear or two about twice a month, on average. Because my life is awesome.

Last time I actually wept for joy was in Jan or Feb of 2019, coming home on the train from the Shinnenkai (start of the year party) with Cooger/Kuuga/Asian Cooger/Cougar etc etc and our many mutual friends. I had to bury my face in a towel. I was howling with joy. I was also hilariously drunk.

Last time I wept with sadness was unexpectedly hearing Ol' 55 while riding the train. I bet I have cried hard on trains more than most people (three times).

And I also drank hard and non-stop for over five hours today. So I might get vulgar, telling today's tale. 

Today - drunk as I was (very) - it was just a couple of tears. That's more usual, for me.

But. Fuckity fucking fuck, listen to this: Cooger gave me one of his old masks. It is mine now. I am, forevermore and officially, The Gaijin Cooger now.

A nice young lady named Yuka, who was one of maybe half a dozen people at the BBQ with whom I did not already have a connection (but with whom I am now inextricably connected forever) also got one. A mask, that is.

fucking fuckity fuck it fucking sucks that I can't post pictures on this site any more. Oh boy do I have some nice pictures from the puroresu party. With Cooger, with my old friend Kenji, with Yoshiki the promoter who hooked me up with tix to Big Japan and to Jaguar Yokota's joshi promotion with MMA promoter Tetsu Kondo who very nearly convinced me to take one last submission grappling match a few years back... with old friends and indie wrestlers, hanging out and cooking and laughing and so on.

If Natch or Octo or someone wants to post pics from my Facebook, feel free. Some folks like seeing those. I will post a bunch.

I am Gaijin Cooger! Holy fucking hell am I happy right now.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Saw a great show from Palmetto Championship Wrestling last night.  Easily the best thing to happen to me the past few months was discovering PCW, and last night was Nigh One of the Palmetto Classic tag tourney.

I fucking love indy local wrestling.

• Like 3