DVDVR Message Board

September 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

1 hour ago, caley said:

So I was flipping around the dial the other night (All right there is no dial but scanning an onscreen TV guide doesn't sound as laid-back) and came across those WWE shows on A&E and I saw them talking about the Bellas and assumed it was a documentary about them and tuned out, only for them to start talking about Stephanie and the show was actually "WWE Rivals: Stephanie McMahon vs Brie Bella" with a write-up that trumpeted the Brie-Stephanie feud and how it was the first time women proved they could have a main event-level feud and match and I do NOT remember that feud/match being that big of a deal. 

This is WWE rewriting history, right? Even at the time, I don't remember this being a big deal but saying it basically rewrote womens' wrestling in the States is some high-level WWE craziness, right? Or was this some sleeper turning point that I somehow blacked out on?!

The feud was a decently big deal, but its definitely bs about it being the first time we saw such a thing seeing how big the Trish/Lita stuff was along with general post attitude era divas stuff up until the two retired or even the JBA/GG feud which got big reactions from the audience in the 80s.

It is revisionist history likely pushed in advance by Vince and the general WWE PR machine because they kind of look bad for how they let shit fail before multiple times due to lack of care from management. They also likely want to pump up Stephanie's cred which is what we saw happen during the Women's Revolution stuff. Its not even like she wasn't a supporter, but it wasn't exactly a secret HHH and co. were the ones actually pushing things with NXT's booking. The only reason things changed on the main roster was due to fans getting upset after hearing the Bellas get candid about not being sure why any woman in NXT would want to move up at the time and either getting punished for it or just their general point being proven with their next Raw appearance. 

• Like 2

Seeing a few references to calling an audible in response to the result of the tag title match at All Out.

I can think of examples of an audible being called due to injury. I can also recall Steve Austin saying he regretted not calling an audible to abandon his heel turn in the closing moments of Wrestlemania.

But I'm not sure I know of any examples of it being done to change a result on account of crowd reaction or similar, particularly the result of a PPV title match which would have a knock-on effect on future plans. Has that ever been a thing in the modern age and if so, when?

The example people keep using is Baba deciding Misawa was going over Tsuruta but even that wasn't DURING the match. That was Baba getting to the arena, seeing the reaction for Misawa and running with it. I'm not sure there is a high profile example of a finish being changed on the fly due to crowd response. Injury, for sure. 

You also have examples of like Janela submitting to Nick Wayne and Nick not knowing he was going over. 

AEW need to turn a negative into a positive and build a fued between Punk Vs The Elite. Punk could have FTR and Wardlow align with him. Punk also needs to turn heel. It's time for him to be a heel as he is happier playing a heel and his babyface run is coming to an end I think.

I think they need to have Punk lose the title to MJF at Full Gear and then go off at The Elite the next Dynamite show and they can build up a nice 3-6 month fued with CM Punk Vs Kenny Omega being the end result. 

I would have MJF have a fued with Eddie Kingston. 

Triple H has been evalated and he gained another job and role while also retaining all his other jobs and roles.

https://www.wwe.com/article/triple-h-paul-levesque-chief-content-officer

The CCO is responsible for hiring and leading a team of content marketers and writers. Brand stuff and implement long term missions. He can further change WWE now.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Triple H has been evalated and he gained another job and role while also retaining all his other jobs and roles.

https://www.wwe.com/article/triple-h-paul-levesque-chief-content-officer

The CCO is responsible for hiring and leading a team of content marketers and writers. Brand stuff and implement long term missions. He can further change WWE now.

Typical. They let someone go and you end up having to do your job and theirs.

Edited by Log
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Triple H's new job seems to be a job made for him. Cannot find anyone online who had the CCO job before him. The job must been under different name or they just combined some other jobs and added more.

President & CFO, Riddick will report to co-CEOs Stephanie and Nick. He is in charge of Financial Planning & Analysis, Strategy, Controllership, Investor Relations, Tax, Data Analytics, Technology, Event Travel and Facilities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

As far as I can recall, Baba gets to the arena, hears the people chanting Mi-Sa-Wa, Mi-Sa-Wa and decides that the night was the night. It wasn't during the match or anything. 

Meltzer always tells the story of someone telling Jumbo that Misawa is going over, Jumbo goes to visit Baba in the back of the arena near the merch to get him to change his mind, and Baba says, "No, tonight is the the night."

20 hours ago, Casey said:

I have my own opinions on wrestling journalism, but in all honesty, if Sapp or any other writer have actual sources and they consider themselves journalists - you don't out your sources. Full stop.

In your opinion, would you rate Sapp as a journalist? Sincere question.

In my head this fuck Sapp is nothing more than tabloid shit stirring media jackal at this point. He's retweeting his team celebrating that they broke 9k subs on their patreon, like he's stirring the hornets nest and celebrating in driving up subscriptions.

That's just me. I mean, I agree with your broad point that legit journalists shouldn't give up sources. Full stop. I just don't see Sapp as legit or a journalist, if that gives any insight into my thoughts. He's no better than those tabloid hounds that ran the Princess' limo into the wall and killed her. 

Assuming all the heat backstage is legit, assuming Nick J got cracked with a steel chair to the head by Ace Steele, I mean there's the assumption if this is all legit happening and the seeds are seemingly mostly being planted by this fuck then all this shit is on Sapp. People's health and livelihood seem to be on the line here, and the Fightful fucks are celebrating adding subs like they give zero fucks about the people they're "reporting" on and the possible real world damage those people are going thru, but hey clicks drive the subs i guess?

(Fightful-accountability rant over)

• Like 4

Rumour that Punk could be fired today ...

From Fighful:

• SRS has heard from reputable sources who have said they heard Punk was injured in the melee, though no one has outright told him to
  • SRS definitively states that Punk was "absolutely wrong" about the Elite leaking the Colt Cabana rumor to him, Dave, or Bryan
  • SRS says he sat on a story for 3 months that AEW talent had felt that Punk had cost Cabana his job and that the Bucks were the ones to save it. He reached out to Cabana for confirmation, who essentially told SRS that he didn't want to talk about Punk or the situation, so SRS was hesitant to publish w/o confirming
  • SRS says that no one is rushing to his DMs to defend Punk, though there are people who see his side
  • SRS says people believe Steel will try to get his job back at NXT but that's not expected to happen after the melee
  • SRS got a phone call from a very well-connected person in wrestling at 5 AM that Punk was under the impression that he was going to be let go. SRS noted that this person never broke news to him before.
  • SRS makes the point that Punk wants everything to be covered fairly yet won't talk to the media
  • SRS is asked about the Brian Last report that multiple people were suspended and that Punk/Omega talked. SRS says information is all over the map: he's heard Steel has been fired, Punk is supposed to have a meeting today and was expecting to be fired, etc. but cannot verify anything as of yet
  • SRS thinks that WWE will at least reach out to Punk if he were to be let go from AEW and see if an agreement could be made
  • SRS says that if he were Tony he would quickly launch an investigation and found out who was at fault in totality, especially with the physical aspect, and then suspend talent and fire Ace Steel
  • SRS spoke with a top WWE talent that said they need AEW to thrive for the sake of the entire industry and fear another monopoly even with HHH at the helm
  • SRS says the call he got last night implied that WBD(Warner Brothers) was not happy 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Boydy said:

• SRS thinks that WWE will at least reach out to Punk if he were to be let go from AEW and see if an agreement could be made

So everyone's finally happy and optimistic about the future and business is headed in the right direction, and they're gonna reach out to a guy who just worked himself into a brawl with executives? Why?

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So everyone's finally happy and optimistic about the future and business is headed in the right direction, and they're gonna reach out to a guy who just worked himself into a brawl with executives? Why?

5ed.gif

Punk literally left wrestling for seven years instead of acknowledging Reigns. Heyman is right there. It all writes itself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"well our executives are much larger than their executives so CM won't mess with us"

Me: "Please let 2022 be the year that gets me back into modern wrestling. I want to have multiple tabs open to keep up with the latest discussion about the graps because it's so enthralling."

**the index finger on the mystical monkey's paw curls**

Me: "Aw, come on. Okay, let me specify: I am not talking about executives being pushed out of the company they've run for fifty years. I want my interest to be raised by the wrestlers themselves."

**the middle finger on the mystical monkey's paw curls**

Me: "Man, fuck you."

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 3
  • Haha 15