DVDVR Message Board

September 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

Braun ragdolling Brock in that 4 way from SS 17 was awesome, then his booking went to shit. Looks like he's only had 8 matches since being released and I have no idea how he's moving in-ring these days. He does look to have leaned up quite a bit based on his social media, so maybe that's helped his knee problems.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, twiztor said:

oh, very cool that you commentated on that! it will be a couple weeks before i get there, but it adds one more thing to look forward to. i enjoyed how you worked as a bit of the middle man during the Moosin MMA event (i may have mentioned that before?)

i'm really just starting a ROH watch, did you work a lot of their events?

Moosin-- Thanks! It was great to work with Bas Rutten. The other guy was a local comedian/host named Tom Megalis. I was hoping we could do more pay-per-views, which could lead to getting into UFC (like several of the fighters on the show, most notably Stipe Miocic). We drew 15K to 20K PPV buys with no TV to support it, which was great. Unfortunately, our financial backer was allegedly thrown into a Korean jail and the company fell apart.

ROH - I did 10 of their first 50 shows. Play-by-play for GBH, All Star, Scramble Madness and Night of the Butcher. Ring announcing for the first three shows in Dayton (Wrath of the Racket, Battle Lines Are Drawn, World Title Classic), the first one in Pittsburgh (Revenge on the Prophecy), and the first one in Chicago (Reborn: Stage 2). When I got to ROH Gold in Dayton, they told me that they had picked Bobby Cruise to be their permanent ring announcer. But they paid me and let me be timekeeper, so much love to all!

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think Braun definitely has some value to him, he is both fresher in terms of his face not being anywhere of note for over a year now and in terms of giving his body some time to rest up. He was very over on a few different occasions and was more a victim of some iffy booking calls than anything else. I don't know that you can or should count on five years of value out of him, but they are thin at the top of the card and he can probably fill a Kane-esque role for maybe a couple years.

• Like 1

To me, Braun's most valuable use would be part of the returning trio of Braun, Rowan, & Bray (cult swamp variant). The Bloodline's dominance is one of the better parts of the product in the recent past. Why not try to capture some of that lightning in a bottle that was The Shield vs The Wyatt Family in a similar, but different form? Compelling little bit of business that could occupy The Bloodline until the run up to Mania.

• Like 4

Lol.

2019:

There’s three brands to me within the WWE. There’s Raw, there’s SmackDown and there’s NXT. This doesn’t seem developmental, you know what I mean? Barclay’s Center, sold out. Chicago, sold out. LA. Every place we’ve gone, we’ve done it here in London. It’s just a different brand. There are three global touring brands. Legitimately. And that’s really what it is. The platforms are different but those are all steps of growth and as you see it now on USA in the US I think all these brands have that opportunity to grow. There’s three banners. There’s RAW, there’s SmackDown, there’s NXT.

2022:

They (AEW) beat our developmental system. Good for them.

NXT is developmental when something bad happens, and when something good happens they're the third brand. Or when they need some guys and women to fill an entire Smackdown episode because Vince McMahon left all of the talent stranded in Saudi Arabia. It's developmental, in 2022, but back then, they had NXT run the gamut over the two main brands at Survivor Series. Revisionist history.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty much the banal and self-serving interview you'd expect from any promotor with a couple noteworthy points.

For as much as people have made of Vince's relationship with Bray, Hunter's comments on him are by far the most interesting thing in the whole conversation. Characterizes Bray as a creative guy who sometimes needs to be told to stop thinking and stick to something and do it. He's a "tornado" that someone needs to "harness." "A victim of his own mind." 

2 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I ain’t believing that well documented all-world wrestling nerd HHH doesn’t watch Dynamite. Not for a second. That’s some “Vince always said it like that so that’s how the boss is supposed to say it” stuff right there.

HHH watches Dark Elevation. Probably live on first airing. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I ain’t believing that well documented all-world wrestling nerd HHH doesn’t watch Dynamite. Not for a second. That’s some “Vince always said it like that so that’s how the boss is supposed to say it” stuff right there.

HHH watches Dark Elevation. Probably live on first airing. 

You think he has time to watch AEW? I don't think its a matter of him not wanting to opposed to him just being super busy. .

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Sasha Banks is still listed with WWE. And the company recently took some fan's anti Sasha sign away.

Wrestling Observer (specifically Meltzer and Alvarez) think Sasha and Naomi will be back on WWE tv any week now.

On 9/1/2022 at 12:09 PM, madl said:

How big a part of EC’s promotion was Braun supposed to be?  EC announced a very ambitious touring schedule for fall and early winter.  

How has that shit not bombed out already? "Hey guys, let's do an Indy wrestling promotion where the gimmick is that we hate Indy wrestling!" Fuckin' brilliant I tell ya ...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Lol.

2019:

2022:

NXT is developmental when something bad happens, and when something good happens they're the third brand. Or when they need some guys and women to fill an entire Smackdown episode because Vince McMahon left all of the talent stranded in Saudi Arabia. It's developmental, in 2022, but back then, they had NXT run the gamut over the two main brands at Survivor Series. Revisionist history.

Thought the comment was funny because:

a) He was running developmental at the time.

And

b) They were the ones who picked the fight to begin with.

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

How has that shit not bombed out already? "Hey guys, let's do an Indy wrestling promotion where the gimmick is that we hate Indy wrestling!" Fuckin' brilliant I tell ya ...

It's been co-opted by the NWA of all promotions!

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I'm enjoying Chris Jericho being on the front foot here with his NXT slander. 

Pulling the camera all the way back (Rainmaker Pose~), this might be the kinda slander that makes NXT 2.0 try a little harder. Some of HHH's favorites are not going to click with big, casual, family crowds and certainly not everything on NXT is serving its intended purpose so sure, go ahead and put the heat on 'em a bit and see if the company doesn't turn into the Black & Gold/Dayglo Pollack hybrid we probably all want it to be.

Another point that comes to mind - there's a list of guys who would we assume would rather do business with Vince than Hunter. It's a small list but it exists, and I know that CM Punk and Chris Jericho have always been near the top of it. Given Jericho was the first guy to go public with the tampering stuff (and seemed to do so immediately), do we think the "Jericho is a shoe-in WWE return" narrative is shut down for now?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
have i ever written in this little "Reason for edit" box before??