DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/31/2022

The Natural

First, I think it's hilarious that disliking a known duplicitous prick is a gimmick now. It's amusing.

Ok, on to the show.

-Another week, another fire Jon Moxley promo. I sure am glad these weekly flame-throwing promos will come to an end so a 45 year old has been can continue lying to himself about his talent level. I understand that Tony Khan needs to worry about the next round of rights fees. CM Punk can be on the show every week and not derail one of the best years in-ring I can remember anyone having. Mox is everything Punk thinks he used to be and desperately wants to be again; menacing, teeming with angry energy, and effortlessly cool. And I bet Moxley never tried to proclaim himself "the locker room leader" only to have said locker room laugh in his face.

-Bryan Danielson is one of the greatest wrestlers to ever live. He's turned into a really believable, emotionally relatable promo in the last 8 years or so, too. Jake Hager has become one of AEW's secret weapons. He's a believable, credible gatekeeper. Everything he does looks like it hurts. Great little match with a fun finish. Loved the Gang Warz afterward. Any Wheeler Yuta appearance is a good one.

-I was excited to see the Wingmen, but I knew some shit was about to go down because... it's the Wingmen. Morrissey looks great, and you can't have too much size on your professional wrestling show. I know there are folks on this board who desperately need to believe that size doesn't matter when it comes to their favorites, but there is zero substitute for big dudes doing big dude shit on your fake fighting show. I am officially intrigued by Big Stoke and what he's cooking up.

-Women's 4 way was fun. I'm not as high as some on Storm, but she shone in this match. Baker eating the pin here makes me think she won't at All Out. I'm officially begging Lurker Tony not to go back to Britt with the women's title. It's the least interesting option. 

-PAC and Kip Sabian will be a banger. Super excited for Sabian. 

-Miro is so cool. I wish HOB didn't have to be the ones on the barrel end of this. I'd like to see them get Malakai going on a big singles run, and maybe Buddy & Brodie going for the tag titles. These guys rule, and people that rule should get more play.

-Ugh. More of this nonsense. Not a fan. Also, nothing screams "trying too hard" to me like proclaiming yourself to be a "'fill in the blank' kid." You're 45 fucking years old. You have a mortgage and a gray beard. You're a grown ass man. Take your multivitamin and shut the fuck up. Again, I understand there are business implications, but putting the title back on Punk after the alleged backstage nonsense surrounding him seems tone deaf and mark-ish. The only thing that would save this stupid shit would be an MJF return.

-Jungle BOy has regressed a bit on promos, but he still manages to convey a lot of intensity in his voice. I hope he takes the next step in his ascent against Christian.

-FTWar rules. That match will rule. That is all.

-Mox is such a badass he comes out to cut a second promo that also rules. Send that try hard out on his shield, Mox.

-What a weird, wonderful little 4 way this match was. I know I come off as a curmudgeon, but Wheeler Yuta's "glow up" over the past year has given me immense joy. Such an authentic feel. Was happy for him for winning this match. Talk about a guy who snatched stardom from the jaws of mediocrity. Absolutely awesome.

-This six man just isn't my thing. It's very high quality flippy nonsense, but if you can't do it at the speed the Death Triangle can do it, you shouldn't do it. I am enjoying this toned down, less self aggrandizing style the Bucks have been deploying lately. The Elite wins, setting up a showdown at ALL OUT with one of two feel good stories.

All in all, I didn't hate this show. Most of it was really good. It just feels a lot like TK is trying to capitalize on feel good vibes from a year ago with Punk. Hopefully there's either a heel turn or another Punk loss, because I have zero interest in CM Punk; Man of the People, particularly while Colt Cabana is banished to Ring of Honor due to Phil's hurt feelings. Everything else on the card looks really great, though. A movie theatre near me is showing the PPV, so I might go down there. Save some $ by buying a movie ticket instead of paying 50$ for the ppv. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Yeah, but why are they playing tennis? I mean, I guess some people just wanna watch a great tennis match, but...

(Just kidding. The whole Serena thing has tons of compelling back-story. GOAT taking a victory lap is classic storytelling)!

I know what you’re saying and I always enjoy your posts.

There are no better storylines in wrestling right now than this, and the multiple storylines during the match on Wednesday were outstanding. This is truly great tv, I highly suggest everyone tune in tomorrow and see this red hot sold out crowd watch an awesome battle with a career at stake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 7:58 PM, MKERyan said:

The real issue with the Wingmen/Morrissey segment was JD Drake being out there when they just did an angle on one of the YouTube shows where he said he was re-committing to The Workhorsemen

WEVE BEEN THOUGH THIS BEFORE!!! JD IS IN TWO MAN SIZED TAG TEAMS BEACUASE HES TWICE THE NORMAL MAN!!1

• Like 4

On 9/1/2022 at 5:34 AM, EVA said:

Ever played sports? Or even seen a sports movie?

Yeah, it's like, unless it isn't someone promising you something you covet, what other kind of motivational tools there even are than yelling your brains out at someone? Not saying it's a good thing, but it's most definitely a thing! GET THAT FUCKING BALL!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think Jungle Boy cut a better promo last night than CM Punk.

JB does’t need to shout out his hometown 17 times in one promo because it’s the only way he’ll get a pop.

Though I think the residents of Valley Village, CA would appreciate it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

JB does’t need to shout out his hometown 17 times in one promo because it’s the only way he’ll get a pop.

Though I think the residents of Valley Village, CA would appreciate it.

Jungle Boy is from the jungle….

also, with all this gimmick talk I’m hurt my name didn’t come up once!

• Like 4

He himself said he didn't get tased. Jose The God of this Shit was just keeping him at bay. The angle, while it felt a little shoehorned accomplished two things: getting Uno outta there so Hangmin can replace him and setting up Andrade not so subtly wooing Preston Vance into the fold. Why would they taser the guy they want to join them? 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DEAN said:

This is great.  BRUV!

I understood Osprey's message completely wrong at first and thought he was somehow talking about the band The Mission.

Actually, they went gold in South Africa in '90 or '91 with their third (or fourth) studio album, so the statement of "The Mission was never gold" is inherently false.

While I was in the midst of misunderstanding the sentence, I also thought "I'm not familiar with the songs 'Just to Hurt' or 'Fake Names', are they something new?"

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

I understood Osprey's message completely wrong at first and thought he was somehow talking about the band The Mission.

Actually, they went gold in South Africa in '90 or '91 with their third (or fourth) studio album, so the statement of "The Mission was never gold" is inherently false.

While I was in the midst of misunderstanding the sentence, I also thought "I'm not familiar with the songs 'Just to Hurt' or 'Fake Names', are they something new?"

You’re going to end up in dad-joke jail with @Gordlow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

You’re going to end up in dad-joke jail with @Gordlow.

Well, at least there will be some company.

As far as the show goes, I missed the majority of the main event as I dosed off. I shouldn't have laid down on the couch. What I saw was good. From what I understood from the ring introductions, Kenny is better than Osprey, or did I misunderstand that as well?

The dueling promos by Mox and Punk/Steel were fine. They sold me on match somewhat.

I was saddened by Silas Young not getting any ring time during the six man squash.

Well, there's the Hangman switch. That looks like the obvious finals match. Haven't watched Rampage yet.

Bryan-Hager and the 4-way were good shit.

The PPV is F'n loaded and I'll probably watch it in segments like the other 4 hour shows.

Jiji asked how the Hobbs vs Starks will go, and I say it should go exactly the other way that Jungle Boy vs Christian ends up going. Other one should end with the heel winning and the face winning the other one. I think Starks could take a loss here, provided that he then moves on to something bigger and meaningful (and successful) right after, and then settles the score a year or so later. I agree that after this one match, they should stay away from each other and find success before feuding some more.

If the joker is Adam Cole and not MJF, I consider it trolling. Quality trolling, yes, but trolling nonetheless.

Edited by Shartnado
Some actual thoughts about the show
  • Like 2