DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/31/2022

The Natural

So they are setting up Kenny versus Ospreay like they set up FTR versus the Briscoes, almost completely on line.  And like FTR vs the Briscoes, it will move me to shell out actual money for a PPV.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

Also gotta say I loved Jericho's WAR reference, I wonder if that's a sign for anything happening.

My heart will come out from my chest if Tenryu shows up for no reason and guh punches Danielson. How's Tenryu's health btw?

• Thanks 1

I'm watching now. That Punk/ Steel segment stunk. Punk is definitely turning heel sooner or later, but I thought there was no way they'd do it in Chicago. Now I think they will. Mox had to pull the boos out of the crowd during the open and the end of the Punk horseshit screaming about "Chicago!" is a red flag.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm watching now. That Punk/ Steel segment stunk. Punk is definitely turning heel sooner or later, but I thought there was no way they'd do it in Chicago. Now I think they will. Mox had to pull the boos out of the crowd during the open and the end of the Punk horseshit screaming about "Chicago!" is a red flag.

It seems a lot of people here liked it, which is fine. Different strokes and all, but nothing about that segment really worked for me. Especially Mox waiting to come back out after Punk is done. If Mox is there and he has something to say to Punk, why wouldn't he come out and say it straight to his face?

If Punk's foot is garbage right now and the main reason he lost, and more balls than brain, why is he going to fight Moxley again on Sunday? Because it's even ballsier than before?

Punk's sudden change in attitude felt forced.

Dunno about a Punk heel turn other than Punk has come off as very unlikable the past few weeks. Even Chicago was turning on him tonight before the Shouty McShouty to get a reaction stuff started. But Punk turning heel in his hometown kind of seems like a Vince/Prichard/WWE move. I kind of feel like none of the pieces have been set up right at all. 

I still feel like last week was a complete and total waste just to pop a quick TV rating at the cost of your actual PPV show. It wasn't even that big of a ratings jump.

I just kind of feel like Ace Steel was the last person we needed to see tonight. Can you imagine what would've happened if that was Colt Cabana instead? 

Just saying, if you are going to bring out one of Punk's old friends from ye olde days, you brought out the wrong guy.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

W. Morrisey is gonna be a fun match against Wardlow one of these days.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Psst

And yes, the match was good.

Got a kick out of the thumbnail of W. Morrissey points up to Craig's post.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Got a kick out of the thumbnail of W. Morrissey points up to Craig's post.

The thing with Morrissey is that the more you ignore him the closer he gets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, punkenhead said:

I realize he is not everyone's cup of tea (British reference), but I like this Will Ospreay dude. He has "it". Starks, Yuta, Ospreay, and Garcia for pillars. Forget those other scrubs. 

Switch Will Ospreay with Darby Allin and those would be my four.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hard Agree with Dave: it was weird not to establish the injured foot as a key factor hurting Punk's chances of winning the rematch. He essentially ignores the foot injury completely during the second half of the promo, although I gotta assume him and Moxley will work/sell the foot a lot during the actual match. 

Hard Disagree with Dave (and Alvarez) Ace Steel deserving a raise. Maybe I just don't get romantic about the off-brand AJPW era of American Indie wrestling from the early aughts but Steel's appearance felt indulgent and corny. If we're going by the "he was there and being there is enough to be a name worth revitalizing" logic then maybe HOC should have had Kishin Kawabata or Richard Slinger come out to pump up Marufuji before his match with Kingston last Saturday. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fbh3S-SWQAI2VhW?format=jpg&name=small

One of my favourite wrestling shots: commentators with crowd.

Right to left: Oklahoma business casual, LA slightly better than business casual, we're going to the nice steakhouse tonight

10 hours ago, MKERyan said:

This gimmick is even worse than the Adam Cole hating one

No it's not.  Moxley is amazing and is so far above Punk it's not even funny.  Changing the title this weekend is some real "Vince senior taking the belt off hot Billy Graham and giving it to dull-ass Bob Backlund just because that was the plan from the start" shit.  Like I know he had a long term plan with Punk, which the injury derailed, but come on.  Mox is cooking on all cylinders and feels real.  Punk's a cheap pop machine.

What do Punk and the Republican party have in common?  Both scream about Chicago when they need a cheap way to rile up their base.

W. Morriesey is here!  Stop me if you've heard this one before!  He chokeslams this charming man Bononi, mistimes a chokeslam on Nemeth because Nemeth said to do it "now," and Morrissey was confused, wondering how soon is now.  Avalon is talking shit and gets  a chokeslam for his efforts as his big mouth strikes again.  Morrissey softly whispers to the zaftig JD Drake, "you're the one for me, fatty," as he takes him down.  He reads Hathaway's card, which is inscribed with kind words telling him he is human and needs to be loved, and decides to go with him.

TK must clearly lurk Reddit at least...there was a long post outlining all the women's segments of the past; it was like 9 out of 10 were in the "death spot" and all were short.  So we get two in a row now in a different spot.

A week after we hear Discovery wants to tone down the cursing, Ace Steel drops the F bomb.

LOL @ shots of Regal at the commentary desk using the audio box with Excalibur's shoot first name written all over it.

I can relate to the idea of injuring yourself and then being really in your head about reinjuring it.  Like the story was Punk got a bit of the yips last week after kicking Mox and freaked out.  Punk needed to lean into that more.

Punk getting mad and fat shaming a dude for chanting the name of his former best friend he tried to get fired is a bitch move of about 6 different levels.  Cabana should become Punk's Shelly Miscavige, where people just yell about Cabana everywhere Punk goes.

I would have enjoyed seeing like 40 guys sprint to the ring to try to get the contract.  I did like how "unplanned" Steel grabbing it felt, with him walking out in the background during the announcers' segment.

LOOOOL Ospreay goes all in on the meme what's up and starts his promo with BRUV

PRESTON VANCE IS TOO COKED UP TO FEEL YOUR TAZER, JOSE

I continue to be in love with the six man tag team let's kill Jim Ross fuckfest division

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm going to say Punk loses at the ppv in around 20 minutes and turns heel. Everything about that makes more sense than the alternative, except for the part where the show is in Chicago.

Man, I’d actually be interested to see how he’d try to pull off a heel turn in Chicago, which feels like it might be the play here. Like are Aaron Rogers and Yadier Molina gonna show up and help him conchairto Mox or what.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4