DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/29 - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

RAW

Raquel Rodriguez and Aliyah vs Dakota Kai and IYO SKY tonight, to crown the new WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions.
WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle returns.
The Usos and Sami Zayn.
Riddle face-to-face with Seth “Freakin’” Rollins.

It's 9:41!  Let's see if I can make it to the end without having to SUFFER through commercial breaks or long winded PROMOS~! in real time!  We start off with AJ Styles and Dolph Ziggler wrestling Damien Priest and Finn Balor.  This should be good.  AJ Styles is top five in the world.  Balor avoids touching Styles.  Styles whips up on Priest early.  We come back from a commercial and Balor is beating on our face in peril, Dolph Ziggler.  Stuff happened while we were gone.  Dolph counters a Balor Styles Clash attempt with a FAMEasser!  Styles makes the HOT TAG and Styles and Priest have a few awkward moments.  Priest chokeslams Ziggler and pins him.  That was quick and not overly good.  I blame Damien Priest.  It's Bianca Belair,  Asuka and Alexa Bliss versus Dani Mo, Kay Sparks and Katy Hart?  That's definitely Dani Mo.  An episode of RAW ELEVATION breaks out!  Belair, Asuka and Bliss reminds one of Rush, the Butcher and the Blade from earlier in the evening.  The Street Profits and Alpha Academy have a match!  Kurt Angle is watching!  Otis is a POWERHOUSE!  He does powerful things!  Montez Ford hits a nice dropkick.  Angelo Dawkins and Gable are MAGIC together.  Dawkins does a GREAT Big Man Tope Con Hilo!  Gable hits a gnarly Dragon Screw on Dawkins.  Montez Ford hits a SWEET Flying Cross Body Block that lands with a loud THUD!  Montez Ford is fucking awesome.  He takes a toprope superplex by Gable and we go to commercial.  Gable takes a DDT like RVD and it RULED.  Otis beats on Dawkins!  Dawkins gets some nearfalls on Chad Gable!  Great nearfall on Ford hitting a Superfly Splash that Gable rolls through.  Gable counters a Sunset Flip attempt by turning it into a Northern Lights Suplex!  So Gable is working on two matches of the week in a row.  Otis tags in and pummels Ford.  Gable hits a toprope headbutt but Dawkins makes the save!  GREAT Ankle Lock by Ford!  Dawkins hits a POUNCE on Otis on the floor!   Montez Ford hits an ENORMOUS Superfly Splash for the win.  That match was fucking AWESOME.  It's Bobby Lashley versus the Miz!  Lashley elbows the Miz in the mouth!  The Miz takes an ass beating.  The Miz goes on offense and it's good!  Ciampa CHEATS!  The Miz goes all BattlARTS with kicks and chops!  Lashley CRUSHES him as the Miz comes off the top and we go back to the Miz taking an ass beating.  They do some shenanigans and they miss Ciampa doing SOMETHING.  Dexter Lumis shows up.  Lashley applies the Full Nelson and wins!  That started out okay and kinda got booked nine ways to Sunday.  It couldn't QUITE make it to the good column.  If the Miz got in a few more nearfalls or did something cool on offense, it might have pushed it over the Mendoza Line.  One should note, though, that has been NO shitty finishes tonight so far.  Everything has been clean as a sheet.  Jay Uso versus Kevin Owens!  Can Kevin Owens do it two weeks in a row?  Jay Uso throws great punches.  GNARLY Toprope Air Raid Crash by Owens!  GNARLIER Swanton by Owens, CRUSHING Uso.  Great nearfall on an Uso Splash.  Great nearfall on a Love Machine Splash by Owens.  Sami Zayne BEGINS his face turn by not hitting Owens with a chair!  STUNNER! OWENS WINS!  That was fucking great.  Not as fucking great as last week's but still fucking great.  IYO SKY and Dakota Kai are about to pin Aliyah, I'm guessing.  It does seem like it's Aliyah's DESTINY to be pinned.  Can she FULFILL her DESTINY?  Raquel Rodriguez is a POWERHOUSE!  She does powerful things.  I love that HHH still enforces the You Must Watch The Video Screen Like A Weirdo rule still.  IYO and Kai are awesomely hateful beating on both opponents on the outside.  Rodriguez once again has to win single-handed.  I get the feeling that Aliyah is going to make the hot tag and FULFILL HER DESTINY!  Rodriguez is awesome with her nasty but desperate offense!  OH NO!  Aliyah DOESN'T FULFILL HER DESTINY AND ROLLS UP KAI FOR THE WIN!  That was good.  Wrong team won, but that was good.  I love that Raquel Rodriguez has to work 98 percent of all the matches and it was fun to have Aliyah actually do something.  That was some fun professional wrestling.  HHH! HHH! HHH! Two GREAT matches.  One really good match.  HHH! HHH! HHH!

• Like 4

Loved what I was able to watch.

I started with the Alpha Academy segment. I was saying in the chat that it was incredible recency bias but the AA vs. Street Profits tag match felt like a MOTYC. That was as good as it gets for a random mid-show tag team match. A whole bunch of hot tags and cut-offs and incredible athleticism. Just awesome one-upmanship throughout with things like "oooh, Gable just turned some slingshot thing into a Northern Lights???" and that insane pounce over the table.  I'm sure it's something everyone is going to forget by Wednesday night but that match was an absolute banger. 

Is KO the best in the world right now? I know it's Mox but like Phil S. said in The Ringer, KO just knocks everything out of the park. He's one of the few people alive who can really do anything in the ring and on the card. That's probably the most important role to have in the WWE. It's what made New Day HOF dudes. That was a banger of a singles match with a great narrative starting the Sami storyline. (Sami's not too far behind KO, either.) 

Main event was fun. Dakota Kai is an awesome cheapshot artist little shit-stirrer heel. I love Raquel having to do all of the work and that they're intentionally casting Aaliyah as out-of-her-league but smart enough to do a sneaky tag roll-up. That's a great way to actually give her a character and make her feel like a viable wrestler. 

I also really liked the two promo segments and how they were set up. I don't recall ever seeing the structure for either of those on Raw before. Rollins trying to talk to Riddle normally only to give him the nastiest of insults "after taping ended" was really good heel jerk stuff. And the empty arena interview with Johnny Wrestling interrupted by Austin Theory was also well-produced, too.

• Like 2

JD vs. AJ/Ziggler was fine.

Didn't pay much attention to the women's squash match.

Didn't catch all of Profits/AA, but what I caught was good, especially the action towards the end. As much as I love the Usos, Street Profits really should be tag champs right now.

I skipped the Rollins/Riddle segment only to catch the end of it after seeing people talk about it. It was low in about as good a way as it could be. They managed to sell that Riddle wants to beat Rollins's ass for sure. I'm going to be disappointed if that match doesn't start with Riddle trying to actively murder Rollins even worse than he tried Roman at the start of their title match.

The Theory/Gargano segment was solid. Theory was just enough of a dick while still taking the "high road" despite Johnny superkicking him for acting like a dick the previous week. They made me want to see Gargano kick him in the face again which is exactly how it should be. Theory should either be goofand/ or a guy you want to see punched/kicked in the face. it is what he is best at.

Miz/Lashley was decent for the story they were trying to tell though I have no idea what they are going for with the story with Lumis. Feels weird that they seem to aiming for proper creepy with Lumis opposed to the goofy creepy he did in NXT. 

Dug what I caught of KO/Jey. Based on what they are doing here I assume they are building to Owens and Sami taking the belts off the Usos.

Raquel/Aliyah vs. Io/Dakota was good fun. Aliyah looked solid in her parts, and the other three were basically workhorses putting together some good action and moments. Kind of dug them playing off of how Raquel pulled a victory despite a handicap situation just last week on Smackdown, and the finish was Aliyah playing smart and sneaky was unexpected but neat. I kind of like that Io & Dakota lost here. They aren't hurt with it coming via trickery and it killed what was originally an incredibly predicable outcome. Guessing despite this we see Io and Dakota take the belts soon enough. At least Raquel gets to hold tag titles for more than few days finally.

• Like 1

I thought this was a weak show compared to recent shows. I guess everyone is entitled to an off night. Judgement Day vs. AJ/Dolph was all right. I forgot Dolph lost to Finn last week thus why he was in this match. Edge showing up was pretty cool after the match and him letting the Mysterio's sneak attack was nice. Poor Dominik though. I really hope they dont do an angle where he turns on Rey just so she can be his new Dom gf.

The Women's 6 woman was odd. Though I was happy to see Kayla Sparx make it to tv. She took the KOD like a champ.

Nice to see Kurt Angle look healthish especially after just getting two new knees. I thought the whole segment with Alpha Academy was dumb and a step backward. But it led to a really good Profits vs. Academy match so it wasn't a total loss.

Poor Miz having to face Lashley after going through God knows what with Dexter. I loved how he was seeing him everywhere. The match it self wasn't bad. Just was kinda there I guess. Lashley continues to dominate as he should.

Sami and The Uso's leading to KO confronting them was good. I loved how Sami and Jimmy are tight but he and Jey are getting there. I agree this probably will lead to Kevin and Sami reforming as a team to take them on down the line. KO vs. Jey was a good match. I was susrprised to see Owens win. Figured there would be a dq or something.

Raquel/Aliyah vs. Io/Dakota was good. I'm glad they got the main event and some time to breathe. I don't get what they are doing with Aliyah though. She could have been the one taking the beating waiting to get the hot tag on Raquel who comes in a destroys everyone. I was surprised they won, but I like Aliyah so I'm glad she finally has some gold.

But yeah a bit of a back step in terms of show quality I though. It just seemed like everyone was off tonight.

They're bringing the women's tag titles back! Sasha and Naomi are gonna be in the tournament! Nope.

Well, they'll take a team out somehow and put in Sasha and Naomi! Nope.

Well, Sasha and Naomi will show up after the tournament to challenge the winners! Nope.

Well, surely Sasha and Naomi will show up at the PLE this weekend!

Catching recaps for now, won't get to see til the weekend maybe but by far this shit has me hooked to catch a replay now!

Just needs Rollins adding that "and we allllll know why" imho to take this even more next level

10 hours ago, DEAN said:

Sami Zayne BEGINS his face turn by not hitting Owens with a chair!  STUNNER! OWENS WINS!  That was fucking great.  

You know, I joked earlier, but they're either going to have KO and Sami take the tag belts off the Usos, or... and this is crazy to think.... maybe Hunter really does have bigger plans for Sami?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You know, I joked earlier, but they're either going to have KO and Sami take the tag belts off the Usos, or... and this is crazy to think.... maybe Hunter really does have bigger plans for Sami?

You could do it both ways honestly. Have the reunion be over the tag belts, but given the long standing love/hate relationship of KO/Sami, you could have it merge into a split that morphs into a triple threat for the title where Sami finally gets his moment. 

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

You could do it both ways honestly. Have the reunion be over the tag belts, but given the long standing love/hate relationship of KO/Sami, you could have it merge into a split that morphs into a triple threat for the title where Sami finally gets his moment. 

I don't know about fauntasy booking a triple threat match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

I'm not a fan of it either, but I think it's definitely booking we've been conditioned towards in the past.

NEW REGIME! HHH WOULD NOT DO THAT TO US!

• Haha 1

Tried watching Raw again. I certainly wasn't feeling the Street Profits tag match the way Gregg was, but I still thought it was very good. I think since nearly day 1 of seeing Montez Ford I thought he was going to be a huge star and future world champion. I think he's even closer to that point now. The other cool thing is, even if they break the team up or keep them as friends, but have them both pursue singles careers, Dawkins has become really fucking good too. That pounce onto Otis outside the ring that sent Otis flying looked awesome. And since I've been a bit out of the WWE loop until recently, Gable's SHOOOOOSH act cracks me up. Gable is such a talented guy and it's nice seeing him do shit that isn't just, hey, I'm short.

The little Jon Jones "hey pussy, you still there?" thing they did with Rollins and Riddle was actually pretty good. It's nice seeing Rollins exposing himself as being fake and it's also nice seeing Riddle be serious. I still thought it was cheesy, and "bitch ass" is such a high school thing to say, but I still dug the segment regardless because it was so different than everything else.

KO is awesome. He's always been awesome. He always will be.

Austin Theory sucks. Like, really, really, really sucks.

I kinda like what they're doing with Miz and Ciampa even if I'm not 100% digging the Miz/Lumis angle. I can see Ciampa eventually turning on Miz because he gets fed up with Miz being afraid of Lumis.

I'm not feeling anything for this feud between Edge and the Judgment Day. Partially because I think Edge really represents that milquetoast WWE style of wrestling, partially because Dominick sucks, and partially because I don't quite like what they're doing with Ripley. 

I didn't quite care for the Women's Tag Titles match, but the end was surprising.

And now I'm drinking the Kool Aid. It really does feel like Drew is going to beat Roman and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I think they'll have a hell of a match that should be as brutal as Gunther vs Sheamus, but I'd like to see Roman hold both titles and eventually drop them to Cody. Then again, as AEW showed, it didn't hurt Hangman one bit to have Christian defeat Kenny first and then later have Hangman beat Kenny, so I suppose as long as they do it right, if Drew wins, it's not going to diminish a potential Roman vs Cody match in the slightest.

Sami Zayn is the best thing on professional wrestling television at the moment. The in-ring work, the in-ring character, the performance in promos/vignettes (whether in-ring or backstage) are just all grand slams currently.

• Like 1

AJ/Hollywood Hunk II v Balor/Priest was fine if a bit underwhelming to begin this show. Not many promos trigger the ffwd button faster than a babyface Edge. Goddamn, Rhipley's the star here! They need to Reigns her over everybody. Dominik Mysterio is a Mike Judge teen boy cartoon character, and for this reason I think I might love him. I also love the build to a tag match on PPV - that seems like a excellent 'fuck you to the old man' thing to do! I'm warming to the Miz, and hope everbody's gotten on board with a Ciampa push!? That is to say 'I am'. Somehow I didn't FFWD thru Aliyah and Rodriguez's promo, and I'm glad I didn't. Raw Elevation indeed with the Women's Trios action. Comparitively the Dark Elevation trios strangely have been much better than this. I'm fascinated by the lack of heat and WWE production white noise track. I'm not sure the babyfaces came across heroically here? But goddamn do I love Asuka. While I wasn't watching WWE, I'd heard word that Gable was a really great in ring worker, but I had no idea he was so capable of 'sports entertainment'. The last two weeks they've had him going too long in these promos, but I still dug this nonetheless. I hope Angle's health is good. My limited exposure to the Street Profits already has me believing, and this match just furthered the cause. All the talk is of Ford, but Dawkins is great, especially here. That 'pounce?' on Otis was maybe the highlight of this show. Great bump from the big man across the desk. Skipped the Rollins-Riddle segment. Miz-Lashley was solid to begin. Miz looked good here. Is Big Bob maybe a better heel? I'm not sure I'm into him right now, but the 1980s vibe of his babyface role interests me. I liked seeing Lumis up in the balcony, but... wait... Wow! Judging by the commentator's call, and the later interviewer's question, they're doing Warrior-Hogan '98 only Hulk sees him!!! Well, I guess the computer generated graphic marquee still reads WWE after all! Sami Zayn's talents have been wasted with the lame Bloodline skits, but here he and Owens hit it out of the park. Owens has thus far been (outside the creative team change) the biggest reason to watch WWE again. This match with Jay Uso was another notch. The Gargano video was solid, the campy segment that followed worked fine too. I mostly liked the Main Event. Kai/Sky r a solid team. Judging by that crowd I might be alone, but I'm interested to see what comes of this Aliyah/Rodriguez duo. I watched a lot more of the show without FFWD this week. What I saw I mostly very much enjoyed. But yeah, they r absolutely doing a Hogan-Warrior '98 part 2! 

I love Raquel/Aliyah winning as I thought they had zero chance. Even after they won, I still thought they were going to pull some 'dakota wasn't legal' deal. They are great together and I hope they have a solid reign.

Hilarious seeing the security guard LEAP over the rail when the fan in front held up a "We Want Naomi But Not Botcha Banks" sign.

Great to see Kurt looking good in the old school Team Angle style outfit. Also enjoyed the Elevation trios tag. Katie worked Serena on last night's Elevation and then was here on Raw in the same night.

• Thanks 1