DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/24/2022

The Natural

7 minutes ago, DEAN said:

AEW is the opposite of WCW.  I remember WCW being chaotic and slapped together but it just led to shitty main events with Hogan or Nash or Hall.  The undercard always delivered the goodness and kept me around.  AEW is chaotic and slapped together but HERE you get The Forbidden Door PPV and the last two weeks main events.  AND the undercard is also awesome.  WWE currently is delivering on the main events and the undercard but it seems more planned and less chaotic.  Either way, I am happy with the good wrestling.

On this note, I also support Dark and Elevation's commitment to bring us 1998 Worldwide/Saturday Night in 2022

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Wrestling is fun as fuck right now. I mean, I still can't watch a full Raw or SD because, holy shit, it's just too much, but now I'm actually watching a bunch of segments from each show. If Raw were to move back to two hours and the promo quality there were the same as it is in AEW with dudes just talking shit, then it would be way more watchable.

EMBRACE THE CHAOS

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't taken the plunge and gone back to current WWE yet but did have a brief "Abe SImpson walks in the house, takes off his hat, turns around, puts hat back on, walks right back out" moment.  It went like this:

(Meltzer and Alvarez talking about an excellent 15 minute match between Owens and McIntyre)

Me: That sounds awesome!  I should go check that out!!!

(Meltzer describes the match's fuck finish because they booked a match where they didn't want either guy to lose)

Me: Yeah, no.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Akira Fukuzawa"JUST MEET" – LINE 스티커 | LINE STORE

Nyu-nyu-nyuzu update! Latest on Kingston/Guevara:

What happened with Sammy Guevara and Eddie Kingston, Eddie comments
In an update, we've learned much more about the situation between Eddie Kingston and Sammy Guevara.

We're told that Eddie Kingston was mad because Sammy Guevara hadn't spoken with Eddie or cleared the content of a promo that ended up being edited off a show. The two had not conversed since the Blood and Guts show where Kingston threw Sammy Guevara off of the cage. We've heard that Kingston had asked to work with Sammy, who didn't have people exactly angling to work with him, after his feud with Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page.

Those that we spoke to said there were some pretty clear parameters set on Sammy Guevara feuds and promos to not mention his ex-fiancee, which we're told has never come up or been pitched anyway. The original plan was for Eddie Kingston to win the All Out match. In the edited out promo, Sammy Guevara referred to Kingston as a "fat piece of shit," which Kingston took exception to as he felt it buried the match if a "fat piece of shit" beat him. The crux of the frustration, however, was how Sammy Guevara followed up with this after being perceived as difficult working with Scorpio Sky, Ethan Page and Sonjay Dutt in the months prior.

After that, we're told that Kingston had yelled at Sammy Guevara, who smiled at him. Kingston responded by pie facing Guevara. Sammy ended up being incredibly unhappy with this and Kingston was suspended for two weeks.

We were able to reach out to Eddie Kingston, who wouldn't confirm the recounting of events, but said "I was wrong. That is all."

Again, Kingston did nothing wrong. This sounds like a scorpion and the frog scenario lmao.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Since it looks like we're headed for a board AEW Civil War, insert a .jpg or .png with me saying I'm with Team Dean.

Eh, folks can have their opinions.  I'm just trying to remember the downfall of WCW and for me it was the introduction of Vince Russo, who ruined WWE before he showed up in WCW, I thought.  I dig that AEW can book all this shit on the fly and the work gets it over.  As long as people keep watching, buying tickets and getting the PPVs, I'll be happy.  I like that AEW has to produce in the ring to stay alive and can't just coast like the WWE does.  I mean the WWE is making money whether Mandy Rose is over or not. The fact that they TRY to put out a good product is heartwarming, but it's really unnecessary from a bottom line sense.  The rubes are showing up no matter how many good matches Kevin Owens has, pretty much. AEW has to worry about quarter hours and buyrates and ticket sales.  It makes it a lot edgier.  Actually, as long as the Jaguars money, the Ford/Chevy money and SOCCER~! money keep pumping in, they probably don't need to worry either, but I dig that Tony Khan is TRYING to not make this a vanity project.  It's a REALLY good time to be a wrestling fan.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Why would anyone try Eddie Kingston like that? I am 1000% sure he has watched other men take their last breaths because of something he did to them. I’m not saying he’s killed someone. But I’m also not not saying it.

• Haha 8

Building on what Dean is saying, I do feel like Khan has very recent experience in dealing with discord and chaos in both of his other sporting ventures. Fulham is off to a great start this season at least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Were we ever clear on whether or not that timetable got condensed a bit because of Brodie’s health issues?

Absolutely.  "Brodie did the job because he was sick" is one particular conflation of facts and timelines that I'm so tired of.  He lost the title in early October and didn't start treatment until late October in what was, by all accounts, a fast-moving health issue.  As the story has been told in may places, notably by his widow, the onset was fast and he was treated fairly quickly.

• Like 2

Just now, Technico Support said:

Absolutely.  "Brodie did the job because he was sick" is one particular conflation of facts and timelines that I'm so tired of.  He lost the title in early October and didn't start treatment until late October in what was, by all accounts, a fast-moving health issue.  As the story has been told in may places, notably by his widow, the onset was fast and he was treated fairly quickly.

I’m not making accusations. I just couldn’t remember. Cheers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Building on what Dean is saying, I do feel like Khan has very recent experience in dealing with discord and chaos in both of his other sporting ventures. Fulham is off to a great start this season at least. 

Right.  This is the guy who, after that abysmally bad Dark Order angle a few months after the company started, switched up creative entirely and righted the ship decisively.  I honestly have no doubt this backstage bullshit is getting sorted.

1 minute ago, just drew said:

I’m not making accusations. I just couldn’t remember. Cheers.

Oh yeah, no biggie.  If I came off like a dick, I didn't mean it this time.  ?

• Like 1

As for the main event, the trio title is TOTAL ode to Dragon Gate.  I can't watch Dragon Gate because it doesn't have enough psychology and MEANING of Lucha Libre (which is bullshit, I know.  Folks who actually watch all of Dragon Gate can site a million examples where I'm wrong.  I just don't have time to watch ALL the wrestling the world.  Actually, Dragon Gate and current Puerto Rico are prolly the only current major wrestling I totally ignore, currently.)  But if AEW can have THIS main event and have last week's main event in the same time continuum, I can dig a Dragon Gate main event like last night's.  So yeah, I am full of shit for loving last nights main event and dismissing a thousand similar (or maybe superior) efforts in Dragon Gate, but... HEY!  HERE WE ARE! 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I haven't taken the plunge and gone back to current WWE yet but did have  brief "Abe SImpson walks in the house, takes off his hat, turns around, puts hat back on, walks right back out" moment.  It went like this:

(Meltzer and Alvarez talking about an excellent 15 minute match between Owens and McIntyre)

Me: That sounds awesome!  I should go check that out!!!

(Meltzer describes the match's fuck finish because they booked a match where they didn't want either guy to lose)

Me: Yeah, no.

But that was the ONLY shitty finish on the show.  TWO MONTHS ago there would three hours of NOTHING but shitty finishes.  WWE is quickly curing it's horrible illnesses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coach said:

After lurking the board for 15 years, I finally made an account and my first official post. 

I find it odd that people who used to slam wrestlers like RVD and others who were “masturbatory” and sold as much as Circuit City has in 2022 absolutely love Will Osperay and groups like Death Triangle. 

The irony is quite strong. 

Btw, I called this in a tweet a few days ago. Punk and MJF will end up teaming up as The Salt of Personality. Heard it here first:

is this Paintedbynumbers?  Hopefully this guy doesn't have to go through the shit I did. 

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, just drew said:

Why would anyone try Eddie Kingston like that? I am 1000% sure he has watched other men take their last breaths because of something he did to them. I’m not saying he’s killed someone. But I’m also not not saying it.

You do know Urban Wrestling Federation was a work right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Re: Garcia I think he has a specificity of character that he's able to convey through his work and his mannerisms that really help smooth over his weaknesses in delivery.  

Garcia will be face by the time AEW is in Buffalo. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a huge win at that show over Jericho or his hero the American Dragon.  

• Like 1

I mean, should anyone be surprised that Sammy may have some maturity issues?

And, to be fair, should anyone be surprised that Eddie takes some shit way too seriously (although, to be fair, if I was Eddie and Sammy called me a fat piece of shit then I probably would have done more than just pie facing him).

Regardless, that's a punk ass move to go crying about getting pie faced. THIS DOESN'T EXCUSE WRESTLING'S PAST, but Sammy is lucky this isn't 20 years ago where he would have been soma'd on a plane, had half of his head and both eyebrows shaved, and had his nose broken in his sleep with no one claiming they saw anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, porksweats said:

I feel putting the Mox/Punk match as not the main worked much better with the finish than having the 30 minute trio with a main event unification match starting at 9:50. KiLynn King Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Motor City Machine Guns Rock!

starting the main event with enough time for a long main event and having it go short works a lot better than starting it with no time and having it go short.. if you start the main event late and it goes 5 minutes, it's less of a surprise

now if Tony had done the main event at the halfway point and had it go short and followed it up with standby matches, he would have been doing his best Mid-South episode possible

• Like 2

Fightful update on the Thunder Rosa situation:

Thunder Rosa-Jamie Hayter Heat, More on Thunder Rosa's injury
Thunder Rosa isn't competing at All Out, and has heat with a significant portion of the people that are, sources tell Fightful.

Fightful can confirm Voices of Wrestling's report that indicates that Britt Baker and Thunder Rosa can't stand each other, with that having been the case for well over a year. Still, the two attempted to remain professional and work with each other, and from what we're told remain open to doing so for the sake of simply doing their jobs. However, Jamie Hayter also had developed heat with Rosa after she got her nose broken in a match recently. Much of the heat on Rosa has emerged from her working stiff in the ring.

Word emerged shortly before Dynamite that Thunder Rosa was injured, and wouldn't be competing at All Out. Fightful Select had gained word that the original plan was for Toni Storm to emerge victorious and win the AEW Women's Title. Now, she'll compete for the Interim AEW Women's Title against Hikaru Shida, Dr. Britt Baker DMD and Jamie Hayter. We've not learned of the creative plans set for the title since.

We've had talent contact us on both sides of things regarding Rosa, with many saying that she's worked hard to help get other young women's talent booked, and others that perceive her as developing an ego and being difficult to work with. Those that we've talked to who work with her at Mission Pro Wrestling have had positive things to say about her leadership when she's around.

We've been unable to confirm their reports that Thunder Rosa hid in a bathroom after the Jamie Hayter spot. Rosa is said to have been injured, but the actual injury is unknown, speculated to be related to bulging discs. The extent of the injury isn't known, but it isn't a kayfabe situation by the company. 

We've reached out to Rosa but haven't heard back.

She was calling out Shida iirc during their first match on PPV saying something very audibly "are you going to work with me?!" out of frustration. Fast forward and she sandbags and stiffs people (and it's not like it even looks good outside of the dropkicks). 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

The good thing about AEW is that it has some easy solutions to backstage issues given the roster.

Like, for instance, let's say the solution to the Rosa situation is a best of 30 series between Storm and Hayter.

Sounds good to me!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

starting the main event with enough time for a long main event and having it go short works a lot better than starting it with no time and having it go short.. if you start the main event late and it goes 5 minutes, it's less of a surprise

now if Tony had done the main event at the halfway point and had it go short and followed it up with standby matches, he would have been doing his best Mid-South episode possible

We did get a stand by match on Rampage when Hook took Zack Clayton down to the Jersey Snore!

• Like 2