DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/24/2022

The Natural

For those saying this is setting up a world title rematch, in what world? Punk, according to the story they told us very clearly, came back too early and also got his ass kicked decisively as a result. Why would I be interested in a rematch a week and a half later? That match effectively killed an immediate rematch in my opinion and sets one up later down the road. How is Punk going to be any better in 11 days after theoretically reaggravating his injury yesterday? Where is the logic? This would have worked if it were a month ago, not so much now imo. 

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The Jim Ross Memorial Trios Titles. That guy's heart is going to explode. 

• Long double teams
  • Ref missing stuff
  • Guys doing movez instead of going for pins
  • Moves he doesn't know the names of, coming at him rapid fire
  • All done by dudes typically under the Hoss Limit

You know how people propose maybe Ross be brought in for big matches to add gravitas?  Maybe the opposite should apply here, where he gets to sit out trios division matches.  For his health and well being.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

For those saying this is setting up a world title rematch, in what world? Punk, according to the story they told us very clearly, came back too early and also got his ass kicked decisively as a result. Why would I be interested in a rematch a week and a half later? That match effectively killed an immediate rematch in my opinion and sets one up later down the road. How is Punk going to be any better in 11 days after theoretically reaggravating his injury yesterday? Where is the logic? This would have worked if it were a month ago, not so much now imo. 

He gets to wear a legbrace that he uses as a weapon.

Hammer Jammer!

Spoiler

Greg The Hammer Valentine vs Jerry Monti - YouTube

(I know that was Garvin's counter, but...)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Unless you're leaving the World champion off the card, that's all they've really got for a main event World title match.

It's not Hangman. Jericho is busy. Kingston is suspended (or just finished it, but either way). Danielson is busy. New Japan guys, on a 4 day notice assuming it's announced next week and not before then? lol, MJF makes even less sense than Punk. I'm not a booker, I play EWR but I eventually get fired most of the time. I'm not pretending to know how the story is going to turn out, but I'm here for the ride. But I still think that's where they're going.

All the people that were quick to back up Meltzer's reporting about Punk/Hangman last week are now not backing up his reporting about Punk/Mox 2. Weird.

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:
  • Long double teams
  • Ref missing stuff
  • Guys doing movez instead of going for pins
  • Moves he doesn't know the names of, coming at him rapid fire
  • All done by dudes typically under the Hoss Limit

You know how people propose maybe Ross be brought in for big matches to add gravitas?  Maybe the opposite should apply here, where he gets to sit out trios division matches.  For his health and well being.

"Three men in the ring at the same time, huh?..." that shit cracks me up to this day. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Unless you're leaving the World champion off the card, that's all they've really got for a main event World title match.

It's not Hangman. Jericho is busy. Kingston is suspended (or just finished it, but either way). Danielson is busy. New Japan guys, on a 4 day notice assuming it's announced next week and not before then? lol, MJF makes even less sense than Punk. I'm not a booker, I play EWR but I eventually get fired most of the time. I'm not pretending to know how the story is going to turn out, but I'm here for the ride. But I still think that's where they're going.

All the people that were quick to back up Meltzer's reporting about Punk/Hangman last week are now not backing up his reporting about Punk/Mox 2. Weird.

Make it make sense. How in kayfabe terms does Punk making a miraculous turnaround hold any water? Why should i be interested in that rematch right now? This feels like boxers with auto rematch clauses calling for an immediate rematch after getting demolished. 

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I 100% agree with you. Either they do a deal where the ladder match winner gets a title shot later, or a forbidden door open challenge thingie. I’m not sharing these are GOOD ideas, but they are to me far more likely (and logical) than Punk again

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I don't think NJPW will have been happy with those barbs by Kenny Omega about low attendances.

Also probably not happy about JR saying Osprey needs to sign with AEW on the air.

• Like 3

Just now, Log said:

Also probably not happy about JR saying Osprey needs to sign with AEW on the air.

Just as Tony is telling wwe to fuck off for tampering. 

I think the Omega and Ospreay story plays on Kenny's bitterness towards njpw and if it's not that then I don't think he really cares. My guess is he loses to Ospreay at the Tokyo Dome and wins a rematch in the US later. 

• Like 1

And now, what you've all been waiting for:

-This first segment was pretty good. Daniel Garcia, as so many others have pointed out, is incredible at certain things, and conveying a focused set of emotions. Jericho's recent promos are like Judd Apatow movies; trim the runtime by 20% and they'd all be classics. The only problem is I'm not sure how you get to Garcia/Jericho at Grand Slam, which I'd guess is their endgame, without Jericho going over Danielson. That result would cause other problems, notably that it would be fucking stupid.

-I love Dax Harwood's old school sensibilities about the business and tag wrestling and the like, but I think sometimes guys like him romanticize putting other people over. Like it's the right thing to do. And sometimes it is, but that finish might've been a good time to drop a "that doesn't work for me comma brother." Getting MCMG into that 6 man is an unspeakably huge upgrade from the previous lineup. Great match, and Dax would catch a charge if he chopped someone like that in a barfight.

-Thunder Rosa breaks my heart in so many ways. You can tell she cares so much about putting out the best product possible in her matches. And when she first got to AEW she was the kick in the ass that division sorely needed. It's just sad to see how much her work has gone into a tailspin since she won the title. As for the "why did Thunder Rosa only get three minutes to tell her story when Punk got fifteen" talking point that's been going around certain dreadful corners of the internet, Rosa isn't a native English speaker. That whole thing might've been a pretape. We don't know. There are problems with AEW women's division, but not making a woman who isn't completely comfortable speaking english go out in front of a live audience when she's clearly an emotional wreck isn't one of them.

-"Sometimes your kids are just numbnuts." National Treasure Tony Schiavone, ladies and gentlemen. This whole Gunn Club situation is relatable to me, because my dad is one of my best friends and always has my back, but he loves giving me a hard time too. We never came to blows, but we would've thought it was hilarious if people chanted "Ass Boy" at me for no reason. This was more angle than match, and that makes sense. The Acclaimed are so goddamned over. 

-Britt Baker. Ugh. At some point we're going to have to stop pretending that she's a top level performer and not someone Tony owes a debt of gratitude to because she stayed healthy through a global pandemic. Her promos have regressed, and that's the strongest part of her game. If she wins the Women's title, rather than Storm or Hayter, it would be an unspoken admission that TK has no idea what to do with the division.

-Swerve in Our Glory and the Acclaimed are gonna dance at All Out. This should rule, and I could see this going either way. I love SioG, but sooner or later you're gonna have to start adding acclaim to... the Acclaimed. Shit. Too many acclaims.

-Holy shit. Holy mother fucking shit. For weeks I've said here and elsewhere that I couldn't imagine a feasible scenario where the CM Punk that's been present in AEW so far beats this most recent version of Jon Moxley, but not even I imagined this going how it did. I guess we'll never know if Punk ever gets the real-life ass beatings his actions so often warrant, but this was the onscreen version of that. I loved every second of this. I felt like that girl who watches Darnell beat up her shitty boyfriend in that one "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong" skit on Chappelle show. I savored that ass whipping. I don't know whether or not everything we hear about AEW's backstage environment is true, but I 100% believe this was the match that was supposed to happen at All Out. You don't come back from a shattered foot in 2-3 months, especially without the benefit of painkillers. I think all that "he jumped over the ropes" stuff was done in an attempt to hide that he's still too hurt to go. There was also a report this week that it was Jon Moxley's idea to do the All Out match this week on Dynamite, instead of at the PPV. I find that wording very interesting. It would make sense to me that Mox wouldn't want to squash Punk in Chicago and risk being the guy who killed that town for AEW. I also don't believe these two will be the main event of All Out. That wasn't the kind of loss you come back from in nine days, injury or not. Then you make both guys look like chumps; Punk for being a bitch and not being more competitive against a guy he could turn around and beat nine days later, and Mox for losing to a guy he smoked less than two weeks ago. Shit, even Cody had the good sense to let it simmer for a couple of months before coming back against Brodie Lee. That Punk loss is the kind of things you film vignettes over. Training montages and shit. Something will happen at All Out. It might involve Punk. But I highly doubt they're running that match back nine days later. 

-Christian Cage is doing some of his most compelling work here. He's talking like the guy in the movies that shows up from the big city and buys the factory that employs most of the locals and is going to fire all the local workers and replace them with robots & illegals. The kind of thing that would've gotten wagered over a high school basketball game in any number of early 80's films. And then the foreman's son who quit the team the year before has to come back and lead the squad of plucky undersi- Wait, what were we talking about? Holy shit. Anyway, great stuff from Christian there.

-The unsung hero of this show might've been Ricky Starks. The live audience was clearly still a bit in shock from the Mox/Punk encounter, but by the end of his promo they were all in. No pun intended. That line about "where I'm from, we cut the heads off of snakes!" That's the good shit. The emotion from Starks felt very real, and if I were TK he'd be on my short list of guys to build to that tip-top level over the next year. Everything about this guy screams STAR, and from what I've read there's still some hurt feelings on his end after being told "no" by Triple H in the previous PC era, so he's a guy who's loyalty I'd be looking to secure, by both compensation and exposure. Fantastic fucking promo.

-That Mox promo was the good shit too. Thay reminded me of the "Paradigm Shift" promo from after DoN in tone and intensity. He's so effortlessly menacing with an air of cool. Like Todd from Beavis and Butthead if Todd had a job with benefits. I think they'll play the "undone by his own hubris" card at some point to get the title off of him, but I don't think it'll be All Out. 

-This main event. First of all, let me say that when AEW announced they'd signed PAC at their kickoff press conference it was the best news I'd head that day. There was a time 2-3 years ago one could've made the claim he was the best wrestler alive. I think the pandemic slowed that more than any downturn in performance. It's such a joy to see him more regularly on tv, and if you haven't been watching his title defenses on youtube, that's a "you" problem. They've all been really good. I haven't seen much of these other guys. I really only know of Ospreay from when Seth Rollins called him a broke bitch on twitter a couple years back. That was officially the only time in his entire life that Seth Rollins wasn't lame as hell. Probably. I didn't know him in grade school or anything. This sort of match really isn't my style, but if you're gonna go out there and do that, be really good at it, and all of these guys wrestle that high speed international tempo really, really well. I'm so stoked for Kip Sabian, too. That dude has put the time in on re-inventing himself and has earned a chance. If they run with him and PAC at the PPV, I'll be even more stoked for him. As I'm not familiar with Ospreay, I'm really not familiar with any beef between him and Omega, but anything that keeps the Bucks and Omega away from the main titles feels like an absolute win to me. 

Like I said earlier, I really dug this show, and I'm not sure why people are harping on all these late match announcements. It would bother me if the matches they announced looked like they were gonna fucking suck, but I haven't seen one announced yet that doesn't make me want to buy the ppv. Do Tony Khan and AEW in general have issues that need worked out? Yes. Would I want to watch a show that felt this chaotic every week? No. But to me, this episode felt the good kind of chaotic like the episode from last year when Malakai Black debuted. Just good shit all around. All Out is shaping up to be both compelling in story and match quality, and this week affirmed my decision to pay actual American currency to either order the show or drive an hour to the nearest theatre showing it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If we're looking at long term booking, the better move would be to let Punk sit and rest and fully heal up because it's clear he wasn't going to be ready by All Out and it sounds like Moxley had an idea to move on from having an interim title. So Moxley defends against, shit, uh, fuck it, call up NJPW and see if you can bring in someone from NJPW. Shit, Ospreay is right there too. If he can stay in the states for a little bit longer, you may as well have him go after Moxley. If not that, then maybe they re-run Moxley vs Jericho if Jericho beats Danielson.

Then at some point Punk returns and then Hangman calls him out, you run Hangman vs Punk, Hangman wins, and Punk needs to set off on a path to getting another title shot.

• Like 2

AEW is the opposite of WCW.  I remember WCW being chaotic and slapped together but it just led to shitty main events with Hogan or Nash or Hall.  The undercard always delivered the goodness and kept me around.  AEW is chaotic and slapped together but HERE you get The Forbidden Door PPV and the last two weeks main events.  AND the undercard is also awesome.  WWE currently is delivering on the main events and the undercard but it seems more planned and less chaotic.  Either way, I am happy with the good wrestling.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Also, this show rocked. So many good promos and fun segments. Punk vs Moxley shows you that not all title matches have to go for 20+ minutes and someone can fuck around and find out. Moxley looks like he's god tier and I fully support a "STOP THE MOXLEY" angle like someone else suggested. The main event fucking ruled and had me jumping off of my couch. I even dug the payoff to the weeks of teasing Pac and Kip. Like, I'm actually excited Kip is back, which feels like a really weird thing to type out, but here we are. Plus, maybe it means Pac is going to blow the doors off of Kip.

And, yeah, figure out a way to have Ospreay be signed to NJPW and AEW.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

AEW is the opposite of WCW.  I remember WCW being chaotic and slapped together but it just led to shitty main events with Hogan or Nash or Hall.  The undercard always delivered the goodness and kept me around.  AEW is chaotic and slapped together but HERE you get The Forbidden Door PPV and the last two weeks main events.  AND the undercard is also awesome.  WWE currently is delivering on the main events and the undercard but it seems more planned and less chaotic.  Either way, I am happy with the good wrestling.

Since it looks like we're headed for a board AEW Civil War, insert a .jpg or .png with me saying I'm with Team Dean.

• Like 5