DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/24/2022

The Natural

Re: best squashes ever, Hansen did two in a row back in early 90s AJPW where the MVC squashed him and poor little Deaton with Gordy getting the pin on Stan. Stan gets so FREAKING PISSED that he squashes the Youngblods within an inch of their lives at the next tv taping. If you watch them in sequence it's a truly inspiring use of the squash in both cases (first in establishing the new studs, second in reminding people the old stud will still kill you). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Not since he "matured" during the NJPW run. But his Golden Lions era was INSUFFERABLE and extremely Ospreay -esque. 

I think he's become a better storyteller in the ring, but I still feel rarely compelled watching him. I think AEW and having to work to TV has done wonders for him though. 

It's all subjective. I don't think anyone can deny the talent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

THAT is how you do a six man party match fuckfest and every match for this title needs to be that.  Maybe minus the interfence, but you know what I mean. I want fewer tags and more double teams that last forever.

The Jim Ross Memorial Trios Titles. That guy's heart is going to explode. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Dog said:

How is Omega appreciably different from Ospreay?

Better acting, able to convey things resembling human emotion, less of a goof, 100000x better selling, never covered up rape allegations for his "lads" and "mates" and doesn't badger women on social media for turning down tours he would have taken. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In general, Kenny is way more interested in character, story, and selling than Ospreay. It may at times be goofy, over the top, and completely contrary to what many people think wrestling “should” look like, but he is definitely engaging with those core principles of good wrestling. Whereas Ospreay’s approach seems to be “LOOK HOW AWESOME I AM WHILE I GET ALL MY SHIT IN” and is very much dependent on his opponent to wrangle him into something more interesting (see: Orange Cassidy at Forbidden Door).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Dog said:

My most recent thoughts about Omega as I’m only just now becoming acclimated:

Spoiler

I appreciate the thought put into his matches, but the few times I've seen him, I always get the sense that he's unable to translate that "thought" into action that doesn't show you what he's thinking at every moment.

You wouldn't want to watch a brilliant magic trick where you can see every little movement the magician is doing to make it work. You'd appreciate the thought put into the trick and the craft involved but you wouldn't connect to it at all on a performance level.

On a personal level, what's weird is that you think cerebral stuff like this WOULD be totally down my alley. head over heart, etc. That I'd want elaborate narratives with a thousand moving pieces and all building to a greater whole.

But not if you kill the baby with the bathwater and totally miss the point.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dog said:

Do all the people who hate Ospreay feel more or less the same about Omega?

Good question. Much less. I really like Kenny Omega for his matches in NJPW with Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Tetsuya Naito and vs. Bryan Danielson in AEW. ***** matches. The One Winged Angel is cool and same for the V-Trigger though he overuses it. Not as keen on Kenny Omega/The Young Bucks trios tandem as the Elite. Omega is a better storyteller as well.

I can't warm to Will Ospreay even though he's a Brit. Comes across as a right tool. The flippy shit as well. Doesn't help Ospreay does one of my least favourite moves ever, the Springboard Cutter when the opponent has to sway like a Mortal Kombat character awaiting a fucking Fatality. Stormbreaker is shit as well and I would say that if any other wrestler used it. Hope that helps?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Better acting, able to convey things resembling human emotion, less of a goof, 100000x better selling, never covered up tape allegations for his "lads" and "mates" and doesn't badger women on social media for turning down tours he would have taken. 

This as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Better acting, able to convey things resembling human emotion, less of a goof, 100000x better selling, never covered up tape allegations for his "lads" and "mates" and doesn't badger women on social media for turning down tours he would have taken. 

I don't know if the last bit is in reference to this, but: He cyberbullied Sadie Gibbs for leaving a Stardom tour early because someone in her family died. Ospreay tweeted out (but it's been deleted now) "I don't care who's fuckin' dead, you've got a job to do". Then of course, you've got the whole Bea situation from All Out 2019, where Bea stiffed Sadie and no-sold her offense, and then they got into a fight backstage after the match.

Just now, The Natural said:

Stormbreaker is shit as well and I would say that if any other wrestler used it. Hope that helps?

That move, for me, is like the only good thing about Ospreay. Well, that, and his entrance jackets are pretty dope.

I mean, at the end of the day, if his match is on a show I'm already watching, I'll watch it, but I'm never going to seek out any of his matches. Maybe that'll change in time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are night and day in terms of storytelling and psychology. I don't know if there have been (m)any better longterm, big match storytellers than Omega. His main shot at Ospreay highlights their difference: Ospreay has loads of great matches that people consume and forget whereas Omega tells stories that move people and will stand the test of time. It's as if Ospreay homeschooled himself on how to be Omega but missed the most important part. That he's this cocky and up his own ass is the best and it suits him and his lack of storytelling really well, bruv. It's a fascinating contrast and I think it'll be a wonderful feud that kicks off in earnest next week.

I was of the opinion that White is the NJPW guy you want (if Okada doesn't get bored and wants to do stuff stateside longterm) but Ospreay's promos on Omega and every one of his matches in AEW have won me over completely. The Jake Paul but Bruv gimmick is something he's mastered completely too. He's leaned into being himself, a piece of shit. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dog said:

They got into a hilariously nerdy argument after the show went off the air, debating who drew more fans in New Japan, and who had the most memorable 5-star matches. 

• Like 5

My mom passed away Tuesday morning quite suddenly, literally in front of me.  The shock is still real. I had planned to watch Dynamite in real time to distract myself but alas that did not happen. I watched some of it - the whole Punk thing is right up there with I do not know. 

• Sad 17

I know I'm a Garcia promo defender but I don't think his perceived flaws are actually flaws. He delivers his lines as a person would actually talk rather than the clichéd wwe promo manner. As somebody said earlier, not everybody needs to be The Rock. I wish more people would watch territory promos when wrestlers just talked like themselves most of the time. Garcia in that sense is very much a pro wrestler and not a sports entertainer. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

My mom passed away Tuesday morning quite suddenly, literally in front of me.  The shock is still real. I had planned to watch Dynamite in real time to distract myself but alas that did not happen. I watched some of it - the whole Punk thing is right up there with I do not know. 

Oh, man. I'm so sorry, @chriskbrown50. My condolences to you and your family at this sad time. Here if you want to talk by PM, Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural

8 minutes ago, Gorman said:

They got into a hilariously nerdy argument after the show went off the air, debating who drew more fans in New Japan, and who had the most memorable 5-star matches. 

I don't think NJPW will have been happy with those barbs by Kenny Omega about low attendances.

Spoilers from Rampage that could pertain to All Out

Spoiler

Dark Order (10, Reynolds, Silver) beat House of Black to advance. Is the All Out main event really going to be The Elite vs. Best Friends or Dark Order without Hangman? Not to be that guy, but that does NOT seem like a PPV main event. Let alone, when you have only 4 a year. If it was United Empire vs. The Elite, I could buy that. Even The Elite vs. HoB, but I don't know about Best Friends or a Hangman-less Dark Order. Gotta have a World title match, right? What other match could possibly close the show?

The thing about Ospreay is, he loves to have those long counter sequences that are like Jerry Lynn vs RVD x 10. BUT he does them with people who he's facing for the first time. So the idea that they've memorised his combos and know the exact timing to duck the blindside enzuigiri is a bit... unearned?

You know how the later Kawada vs Misawa matches are good, but way better if you're going into them having watched the previous ones, so you have the context of why certain moves worked or didn't work? Ospreay wrestles every match like it's the climax of a long series of matches, whether it is or not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That six-man was INSANE live. Everything after Ospreay blocked the Black Arrow had the crowd losing it for every nearfall. Shit deflated a bit for the Sabian stuff, but it still worked, the "hostage" under the box was a good misdirect.

Punk got the Cody reaction, not sure if that came across on TV. Crowd was into the short match and dominant Mox win probably due to the novelty, Mox being super over, and Punk getting mixed reactions. Knew something was gonna happen when they announced the Trios match as the main. 

Dax vs. Lethal fucking ruled. Dax is the king of chops. Again, FTR should've won the tag belts at Double or Nothing, but if you're insistent on never doing that for whatever reason, put the belts on the fucking Acclaimed. Everyone loves the Acclaimed.

Emi Sakura and Shida had a great match on Elevation that's worth going out of your way to check out. I wonder if Rosa's really hurt or if she "lost her smile" Meltz says Storm was supposed to win at All Out, but I think the right call is putting the belt back on Britt Baker. Have her steal a pin from Hayter, turn Hayter face and have her chase. 

Rampage:

Spoiler

Claudio/Dustin was good but ended at 11:45, so motherfuckers were tired. A lot of people left after Dynamite and during Rampage. I get it, people gotta work in the morning. Would've got a much better reaction earlier in the night.

Saban made an appearance on the ramp with Lethal & Co during the Wardlow match, no Shelley.

Ten was selling his knee during the Dark Order match, so expect Hangman to sub in at some point. The graphic announcing the match showed Silver, Reynolds, and a Mystery Partner, but it must've been a fuck up.

A Jade segment was announced but it must've been backstage because she didn't come out.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Spoilers from Rampage that could pertain to All Out

Hide contents

Dark Order (10, Reynolds, Silver) beat House of Black to advance. Is the All Out main event really going to be The Elite vs. Best Friends or Dark Order without Hangman? Not to be that guy, but that does NOT seem like a PPV main event. Let alone, when you have only 4 a year. If it was United Empire vs. The Elite, I could buy that. Even The Elite vs. HoB, but I don't know about Best Friends or a Hangman-less Dark Order. Gotta have a World title match, right? What other match could possibly close the show?

See @hobo joe's post, but in a nutshell: no.

Spoiler

10 is probably going to go down with an injury, and Hangman will sub in. The Elite versus Hangman/Dark Order is the story, as much as I love Best Friends.

Also: not the main event. Punk/Mox 2, no question in my mind.

• Like 1