DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/24/2022

The Natural

One thing I love about Moxley's character is that it spared us from having to see Punk's opponent doing the "I'm so conflicted...my opponent is hurt, but I really want to win the championship...oh, whatever shall I do?" shit. He was just like, "You're hurt? That sucks. Too bad. We're in a match." And then he just kept beating his ass.

• Like 14

I'm not sure what's going on. On the surface it was cool as fuck to see the title match have nearly a flash KO if you will.. 

But the company as a whole: Punk supposedly unhappy, a rift backstage, Eddie Kingston suspended? Something not right with Thunder Rosa and that situation and there's still not an announcement on a main event for All Out. 

It'll just be important how Tony navigates all this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not sure what's going on. On the surface it was cool as fuck to see the title match have nearly a flash KO if you will.. 

But the company as a whole: Punk supposedly unhappy, a rift backstage, Eddie Kingston suspended? Something not right with Thunder Rosa and that situation and there's still not an announcement on a main event for All Out. 

It'll just be important how Tony navigates all this.

Don't get worked too much, brother

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Good to know that falling all over yourself to be the first to claim something is a work has made its way from r\squaredcircle to here. 

Don't be sour: not my fault if you are taken in by performance-artists, actors and stuntsmen. If the company finally starts making the clever moves to get themselves out of the 6-9 month creative rut, good for them. 

Edited by A_K
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, A_K said:

Don't be sour: not my fault if you are taken in by performance-artists, actors and stuntsmen. If the company finally starts making the clever moves to get themselves out of the 6-9 month creative rut, good for them. 

Sure, but its also smug and arrogant.  And it's not like you'll be back here apologizing to the people you were calling fools if it turns out it wasn't a work.   You're just out here saying "everyone is dumb but meeeeee!!!" and it's insufferable.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

After lurking the board for 15 years, I finally made an account and my first official post. 

I find it odd that people who used to slam wrestlers like RVD and others who were “masturbatory” and sold as much as Circuit City has in 2022 absolutely love Will Osperay and groups like Death Triangle. 

The irony is quite strong. 

Btw, I called this in a tweet a few days ago. Punk and MJF will end up teaming up as The Salt of Personality. Heard it here first:

Edited by Coach
  • Like 9

Just now, Coach said:

After lurking the board for 15 years, I finally made an account and my first official post. 

I find it odd that people who used to slam wrestlers like RVD and others who were “masturbatory” and sell as much as Circuit City has in 2022 absolutely love Will Osperay and groups like Death Triangle. 

I called it in a tweet last week. Punk and MJF will end up teaming up as The Salt of Personality. Heard it here first:

I respect that you waited 15 years to join and in your first post made a 15 year old joke about Circuit City, well done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

You know, it’s almost like Coach TK is laying the seeds for a “nothing brings a world together like an existential threat” angle. Mass chaos, fights, random booking….all hell has broken loose. So maybe All Out ends with Ozymandias releasing the giant squid.

I dunno what that would be exactly, but that could be where this is going.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:
  • Every time Billy Gunn wrestles I wonder if our standards have changed so thoroughly over the last twenty years or if the talent has changed so thoroughly or if he just benefits from twenty more years of wisdom and a light schedule? I also hope that sometime in 2023 we have a Stokely vs Sterling faction vs faction program like Hayes vs Heenan in AWA. 

I was having the same thoughts re:Gunn last night.  As somebody who's never had much use for Billy Gunn I can't tell if he's having the best run of his career or if my tastes have just changed over time.  

Anyway, I liked Lethal/Dax, Gunn/Gunn and Punk/Moxley a whole lot.  The main didn't do much for me outside of a couple of big spots.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Sure, but its also smug and arrogant.  And it's not like you'll be back here apologizing to the people you were calling fools if it turns out it wasn't a work.   You're just out here saying "everyone is dumb but meeeeee!!!" and it's insufferable.

Not at all - have always been extremely happy to have dialogue, and have never initiated a personal attack (I "like" a lot of posts, there are some interesting viewpoints).

As memory has it however, there was a certain crowd of posters who were happy to quote my posts around the forum (which pre-empted the path of the past 9 months -- from the Danielson/Punk signing momentum-then-fumble-period, to the unanticipated tv network travails as we move into inflationary-environment & end of free-money-VC period that has dominated past decade, to the switch ups that would eventually be needed) in a derisory manner. Well, there you have it. The inevitable mismanagement played out, now hopefully its behind them and they build back some momentum and positivity around the roadmap.

The "talent meeting" (need to be careful I don't get worked myself there, brother) is hopefully a segue into cutting the enormous amount of chaff that has allowed to gather under that roof. He has needed to get a grip on that company for almost a year now; time to stop letting the manipulative lunatics rule the asylum and get some big picture thinking back in place.

Danielson + Moxley (+ Regal as manager) vs. Punk + MJF. Fuck everything else. 4 bonafide superstars. No entourages. No gimmicks. No town halls. No silly spotfest 12 man matches or versions thereof. The "two man Power Trip" angle done right. There is your 3-6 month angle to reel the viewers back in. Hunker down, cut the carnival shit and circus acts and get some consistency going again. And get the tag titles on Acclaimed yesterday. And stop having seemingly every-other-act walk around TV with a belt of some sort (AEW/TNA/NJPW/ROH/ECW .. whatever the hell else is being worn on shoulders)

Edited by A_K

Oh also, Daniel Garcia really is legitimately great at playing “vulnerable and insecure cocky jock asshole”

Like, for real. He might have a Hollywood future in that type of role given the sheer volume of content that comes out with that archetype in there. I could totally see him being on some Netflix or Hallmark high school based show about the suspicious murder/disappearance of a classmate or whatever.

• Like 7

Death Triangle/United Empire is definitely not my preferred style of wrestling, but I’ve reached a point in my life/fandom where I can at least appreciate something that’s executed at such a high level as that match, even if it’s not my thing.

I think I’m OK with the Trios titles being the “absurd athletic spectacle” division if it can always be THAT absurd and on point. (Which it probably can’t!) And as long as we get a Best Friends run at some point, which would probably be more of the style I’m into, it will be worth it.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Coach said:

I find it odd that people who used to slam wrestlers like RVD and others who were “masturbatory” and sold as much as Circuit City has in 2022 absolutely love Will Osperay and groups like Death Triangle. 

Btw, I called this in a tweet a few days ago. Punk and MJF will end up teaming up as The Salt of Personality. Heard it here first:

Welcome aboard proper to the best board on the net!

• Like 2

One pretty interesting "behind the curtain" moment last night:

When Lethal went up to the top towards the end of the commercial break, Bryce had to rush up to him to get the timing right on the break ending and he was stuck up there selling his eyes or exhausting or something suddenly. He covered believably and it set up the spot but it was a kind of funny moment where you really saw how the trick is performed. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena from SummerSlam 2014, the late great Mr. Brodie Lee vs Cody on the 22nd August 2020 AEW Dynamite and Jon Moxley vs. CM Punk on this Dynamite are my three favourites.

I know some people debate whether it counts (I think it does), but Mysterio/Ultimo Dragon from World War 3 96 is still an all timer squash if not the best one ever. Rey really only had one small hope sequence that entire match. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chaos said:

I know some people debate whether it counts (I think it does), but Mysterio/Ultimo Dragon from World War 3 96 is still an all timer squash if not the best one ever. Rey really only had one small hope sequence that entire match. 

Good shout that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I was having the same thoughts re:Gunn last night.  As somebody who's never had much use for Billy Gunn I can't tell if he's having the best run of his career or if my tastes have just changed over time. 

I'm seeing a lot of this as I'm rewatching 80s/90s WWF from the start (and writing a thread on it!).  A LOT of the guys we took for talentless stiffs back in the day are at least passable, if not pretty good, watching with 2022 eyes.  It's funny because I have to stop myself from writing "passable, if uninspiring, match between two pros" over and over.  They're not going to set the world on fire but they're not botching all over the place, either.  It's almost like guys who honed their craft in a bunch of territories before getting to NEW YORK~! picked up some stuff and were actual pros.  To put it another way, 1988 Ron Bass is likely better than a good chunk of your NXT walk-ons.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

I think Billy was always one of those guys who was good in certain contexts, just not the “Singles Star” context, and I think WWE trying (and failing) to make him fit that mold on a couple of occasions probably led to him being unfairly painted as “not good.”

He is currently very good as AEW Dad.

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think some of the issue is that Gunn spent what were probably his physical prime years with the character of "great athlete" and he wasn't all that good at that style of wrestling. Now, he's positioned as an "old timer" and he can smartly work that.

31 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Oh also, Daniel Garcia really is legitimately great at playing “vulnerable and insecure cocky jock asshole”

Like, for real. He might have a Hollywood future in that type of role given the sheer volume of content that comes out with that archetype in there. I could totally see him being on some Netflix or Hallmark high school based show about the suspicious murder/disappearance of a classmate or whatever.

I was thinking last night that Garcia is not well-spoken, but he's a great promo. Does that make sense? I think the idea of "good promo" has been reduced to "talks like The Rock" a lot these days. It's a small box. We need more Garcias that just talk the way they talk.

• Like 9

Yeah, I think some guys are just better at being old than they were being young.

I realize this is a contrary opinion for a lot of people, but I think Tanahashi is way better as “lion in winter” than he was as an ace in his prime.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

He is currently very good as AEW Dad.

Aside from the part when he seems weirdly enthusiastic about beating on his kids (in the ring during a match, of course).  Of course, the kids seem equally willing to drop him on his head.  I know it’s all storyline and all three are probably just happy the Gunn Club is getting a push, but it still seems weird to watch it play out.   I expected him to be more ambivalent about teaming up with the Acclaim.

i don’t think Billy Gunn ever had potential as a breakout singles guy, but he was never terrible.  Terrible wrestlers don’t last 14+ year on the WWE.  He was/is a very capable tag team guy.  Honestly - silly gimmick aside - Billy and Chuck were rather entertaining.  NAO was never my thing, but they were way over and the company a lot of money.  Matches were decent.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2

The great/funny thing about this whole Acclaimed/Gunn Club run is that they inadvertently stumbled into a 2022 New Age Outlaws routine and proved that hitting the same catchphrases every week can still get WAY over, despite all the jaded fans on the Internet who will tell you that catchphrases suck and the New Age Outlaws routine was a war crime.

• Like 7