DVDVR Message Board

GOT - House of the Dragon

J.T.

I could be mistaken on this but I believe this last episode was directed by the same person who directed that "too dark" battle episode from the last season of Game of Thrones, so it seems to mainly be their own personal deal for whatever reason. I am for giving a director the chance to have their own thing so I'll live with stuff like this, but it is certainly a choice. Apparently they aren't coming back for next season so I guess it won't be a problem moving forward.

I am enjoying the show but I do think it is pretty fair to say that its pacing is... let's say problematic. It seems like they want the first season to basically just serve as the precursor/set up for the upcoming war, but it covers such a broad stretch of time that it'd likely have been better off as either a few episodes or a few seasons.

39 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The only way that seen in the Court would've been better is if Daemon started begging Vaemond to say it instead of just the one whisper.

Yeah, if Daemon was played by Samuel L. Jackson and he did the entire Pulp Fiction speech, "I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker."

Okay this may be nitpickish but it'd been bothering me for a bit and sort of reached its peak this last episode: Viserys and Daemon are brothers but like... what's their age difference supposed to be? The king is basically one step short of being the crypt keeper at this point while Daemon looks roughly the same he always has (minus the burn on the arm we rarely see) and... let me go google this...

HOW THE FUCK IS THERE ONLY A 4 YEAR AGE GAP!?!?!!?

I am baffled.

7 hours ago, username said:

Okay this may be nitpickish but it'd been bothering me for a bit and sort of reached its peak this last episode: Viserys and Daemon are brothers but like... what's their age difference supposed to be? The king is basically one step short of being the crypt keeper at this point while Daemon looks roughly the same he always has (minus the burn on the arm we rarely see) and... let me go google this...

HOW THE FUCK IS THERE ONLY A 4 YEAR AGE GAP!?!?!!?

I am baffled.

Viserys has been battling various staph infections for the whole timeline of the show due to him getting cut on the throne.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Viserys has been battling various staph infections for the whole timeline of the show due to him getting cut on the throne.

I made this joke to friends after the first episode, but only Targaryens would be insane enough to put all of those swords, while still sharp, all over the steps. I pity the person who has to go through there and dust the swords or clean any debris out of there. I want to know the rational person who said "this shit has got to go."

23 hours ago, username said:

HOW THE FUCK IS THERE ONLY A 4 YEAR AGE GAP!?!?!!

You need to remember, Matt Smith apparently just refuses to go through make-up.  

Also, this show is Game of Thrones without any likeable characters, right?  I didn't read them.  But like, everyone sucks.  

• Like 3

On 10/10/2022 at 5:32 PM, odessasteps said:

Now that Otto and Alicent played the religion card, I apologize for ever calling them babyfaces. 

I love how any mention of organized religion, even the ones in a fantasy setting, serves as your berserk button.  You were the kid of Baptists who made you go to Sunday School while The USA Cartoon Express was on, weren't you?  Missing the first hour of USA Kung Fu Theater during my formative years because service ran until 1300 nearly made me an atheist, too.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, odessasteps said:

GRRM said Paddy's version is better than his version in the book. 

I mean,  the book version was pretty much,  "this dude was king and wasn't that great at it." 99% of his section of Fire and Blood is about his kids and grandkids. Paddy had a blank canvas of a character and he painted a masterpiece. 

14 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I mean,  the book version was pretty much,  "this dude was king and wasn't that great at it." 99% of his section of Fire and Blood is about his kids and grandkids. Paddy had a blank canvas of a character and he painted a masterpiece. 

That's the thing about people wondering how this can go four seasons. I haven't read the book but I pop on the wiki now and again just to look at where some things are headed and you can easily get multiple episodes setting up, paying off, playing forward the implications of these big named events. We're going to be getting twenty minute dragon fights. It honestly feels like you could build a whole season around some of the stuff that gets "named" later.