DVDVR Message Board

GOT - House of the Dragon

J.T.

I have birth trauma at 48 years old now.  Christ!

One thing is for sure.  I still haven’t adjusted my tv settings since the GOT finale.

Lil Bro just got fucking CHOMPED.  Vhagar was something else this episode.  The way she looked like Godzilla over the height of the castle wall.  With Dani’s trio of dragons you could conceivably get them to turn over so you can rub they’re bellies like the goodest boy Dragos that ever purred.  Not fucking Vhagar.  

Vhagar ran right through Lil Bro like when my old roommate would bring home some feeder goldfish for his fish tank that contained an arowana, 3 piranha, and a tiny crab at the bottom.  It was a massacre and a WW2 dogfight movie all in one.  Love the cloud silhouettes.

BTW:  When I did a Google search for the correct spelling of “arowana”.  I saw another suggested topic asking “Can fish get high?”  Which I mention for no reason.

Edited by Brandon Bones
Reason already subtly suggested.
  • Like 1

The dragon chase was very well done as far as letting the viewer be oriented to exactly where they were. Some great, tense blocking there.

I'm not very high on this season. I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was a bit like homework. I wanted more fun (in that Game of Thrones sicko kind of way, even). I do think I'll like this show more going forward now that the table is set. This could be a season that I look back on more fondly for really setting up everything that will come after. We shall see.

I think ultimately the time skips and recastings ended up being more of necessary evils than anything else, given the time frame the season had to cover you likely needed something like this but outside of that particular context they probably hurt the week to week experience of watching the show more than they helped it. I don't know how long this war is supposed to run but hopefully the show will be able to leave both of those things in the past now which should give future seasons a better chance to exceed what season 1 delivered.

• Like 1

If the show does go 4 seasons as expected and the time skips are only in season 1, in the long run, it's tolerable. 

If they continue to do them over the other 3 seasons, it could hurt the narrative flow and audience identification. 

• Like 4

My friends and I were talking about HotD and lamenting how GoT ended and ultimately it made us not want to see any more of Westeros. We've just had enough and this Jon Snow spinoff isn't something we're looking forward to.

But then we thought, what if the Jon Snow spinoff had him, Tormund, and some other freemen set off to the land west of Westeros because Jon gets a strange message from Arya. And then what we get is basically an exploration of new lands and new people and more of a sword and sorcery type show. Basically D&D, but in the ASoIaF universe. I would be down for something more fun and light instead of just sticking with territory that is being worn thin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

My friends and I were talking about HotD and lamenting how GoT ended and ultimately it made us not want to see any more of Westeros. We've just had enough and this Jon Snow spinoff isn't something we're looking forward to.

But then we thought, what if the Jon Snow spinoff had him, Tormund, and some other freemen set off to the land west of Westeros because Jon gets a strange message from Arya. And then what we get is basically an exploration of new lands and new people and more of a sword and sorcery type show. Basically D&D, but in the ASoIaF universe. I would be down for something more fun and light instead of just sticking with territory that is being worn thin.

One idea that I thought would be cool would be a show that looked at things from the perspective of the small folk. Pick a community of small folk in Kings Landing or Winterfell or something and follow them. You hardly ever see members of the noble houses as they're like rock stars and celebs. The reason I thought that would be interesting is because of Jorah's quote from the first few seasons of GOT when Dany said that her bro kept saying the small folk were clamoring for a Targ return and Jorah was like they don't give  a shit who's on the Iron Throne as long as they're left alone, there's rain, long summers and the children are healthy.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally sat through the full season over the weekend

Right out the gate I was having a blast, I was texting my best bud how this felt like all the good shit (pal) from the early seasons of GoT with lots of court intrigue and politics etc etc

Except way more dragons this time, a fuck ton of targs, and some pretty epic imo battles

Like in GoT there were famed swordsman like your Ser Barrister iirc and Jamie and others

But here we got Daemon going on a kill spree thru the crabfeeders guys and that felt like the crazy stories of warriors you'd hear about but never really see in GoT

Fucking Aemond stealing the dragon from his cousins, gangster as fuck! Especially when he tells his mom that losing his eye was fine, as he'd paid the price for the right to fly that dragon and then you see how he grows up to be a total badass and I'm absolutely pulling for that motherfucker to wreck armies in season 2

Loved seeing the various dragon riders, that one "big fish eats the little fish" scene in the season finale was epic as fuck

Kudos to the good bubba saying the draco looked like Godzilla hovering in the background of the city

Only nitpick and it was a kinda minor one was the time skips with characters aging to grown ups so quickly while all the adults except for Viserys never really aged

Alicent looking about the same age as Aemond and the daughter while Rhaenyra looked like the big sister to Jake was kinda throwing me for a loop in the last episodes but again when Viserys kept aging while everyone else was going R-Truth was a minor nitpick on my part

Otherwise loved the show, felt like a great throwback to early GoT

Now I'm sorta hyped for Witcher to drop and Andor to wrap up so I can start that one too

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Per Variety, the post-GoT Jon Snow show will now not be happening. Apparently Kit Harington's team couldn't think of a story worth telling, so they told HBO to suspend development.

House of the Dragon will be continuing, and Dunk and Egg is still going to happen.

On that Jon Snow show - the only spinoff from the original show that I’m remotely interested in is one centered around Arya Stark and what she’s doing following the events of Season 8.