DVDVR Message Board

GOT - House of the Dragon

J.T.

FWIW I thought most of the "elder" actors were good except for Rhaenyra who I thought was a noticeable downgrade with none of the spark the younger actress brought to the show. On the flip side I think the new Alicent seems on first blush to be an upgrade.

I think this was clearly the weakest episode of the show so far but that isn't completely unexpected due to the sheer amount of place setting and re-establishing the show had to cram in here. My biggest concern moving forward is that none of the new kids comes off as all that interesting of characters so far, hopefully the next few episodes will address that or time jump to new versions of them.

Edited by username

7 hours ago, username said:

FWIW I thought most of the "elder" actors were good except for Rhaenyra who I thought was a noticeable downgrade with none of the spark the younger actress brought to the show. On the flip side I think the new Alicent seems on first blush to be an upgrade.

I think this was clearly the weakest episode of the show so far but that isn't completely unexpected due to the sheer amount of place setting and re-establishing the show had to cram in here. My biggest concern moving forward is that none of the new kids comes off as all that interesting of characters so far, hopefully the next few episodes will address that or time jump to new versions of them.

I disagree that this was the weakest episode, but I 100% agree with not caring about these kids.  

I think the actors of this show deserve more credit, because I reckon, in the page, there’s no difference between them. I doubt, if you saw their dialogue written out without attribution, that you could ever figure out who was saying what, except by contextual clues. Virtually all of the personality is coming from the acting, not the writing.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, Raziel said:

Allisent needs to pick a lane.  She can't be getting Prince shithead ready to be the clamant then clutch her pearls when her ally offs her opponent's allies.

Don't ask a favor from the mob unless you're willing to be in debt to the mob.

"I am certain you will reward me when the time is right" = she just got herself in debt to the mob.

When it comes to Being An Asshole, Westeros is the big leagues, and Larys just served notice of why he's in the big leagues.

You get a heel turn, you get a heel turn, ... you, you get a heel maintenance event push.

I was ready to lose interest but man, did they up the ante.

Good week for the Sword and Sorcery shows.

Edited by odessasteps

Yeah, I'm out. After last week I thought I would give it one more episode because I nearly hated last week's episode.

This episode basically convinced me that nothing good will come of this. It's bootleg Succession in the worst of ways with characters having motivations that feel like they pulled straight out of the final season of GoT. And also, while I knew the time jump was going to happen months in advance, seeing it executed made me think, "who the fuck does a time jump in season 1?!"

I liked this more pre-time jump.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, I'm out. After last week I thought I would give it one more episode because I nearly hated last week's episode.

This episode basically convinced me that nothing good will come of this. It's bootleg Succession in the worst of ways with characters having motivations that feel like they pulled straight out of the final season of GoT. And also, while I knew the time jump was going to happen months in advance, seeing it executed made me think, "who the fuck does a time jump in season 1?!"

I liked this more pre-time jump.

The time jump is interesting. On the one hand, I get why they're doing it. It seems that the show runners want to touch on the major points that led to Rhaenyra and Alicent's split before the really let the story take off. But, that leads to characters going from "Hi, Queen! I can be an ally for you!" to "I had my whole family murdered so your dad can get his old job back!" in a couple minutes of screen time.

I think the character motivations are meant to be there, it's just that we missed everything that led to them. I'm not to the point of being out in the show, but I don't think it's all that great.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I’m glad it’s not just me and my bad eyes. 

Ok,  I watched season 8 on my old 1080p TV and it felt like I had Vaseline rubbed on my contacts. I watched this on my 4K TV and it was perfectly fine. So, my conclusion is that you need to go out and spend $2K if you want to see this show clearly. I don't think any other TV show, video game,  or movie has made a 1080p television seem completely and totally obsolete.  I honestly feel like we are constantly getting kicked in the nuts by technology. 

I get where people are coming from with some of the side character's motivations,  but I feel like they've don't a masterful job with the main character's motivations. I feel like everyone in the show is just looking around like,  "oh,  so I'm supposed to just stand here and let this asshole get away with this?" Everybody is kind of a piece of shit,  but they have to be a piece of shit,  because if they aren't a piece of shit the other pieces of shit will destroy them. Both Alicent and Rhaenyra are just looking at each other like,  "you started fucking my dad while my mom's corpse was still burning." "Oh yeah,  well you fucked your uncle." "No I didn't,  he was having boner issues that miraculously disappeared." "Well you did fuck that asshat, Criston Cole" "So,  where was he when or sons were stabbing and bashing each other in the head with rocks? He clearly wasn't guarding 75% of the royal family which is kind of his only job." "I'm going to make him stab your kids eyes out." "You're a crazy person." "You made me a crazy person."

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Ok,  I watched season 8 on my old 1080p TV and it felt like I had Vaseline rubbed on my contacts. I watched this on my 4K TV and it was perfectly fine. So, my conclusion is that you need to go out and spend $2K if you want to see this show clearly. I don't think any other TV show, video game,  or movie has made a 1080p television seem completely and totally obsolete.  I honestly feel like we are constantly getting kicked in the nuts by technology. 

I get where people are coming from with some of the side character's motivations,  but I feel like they've don't a masterful job with the main character's motivations. I feel like everyone in the show is just looking around like,  "oh,  so I'm supposed to just stand here and let this asshole get away with this?" Everybody is kind of a piece of shit,  but they have to be a piece of shit,  because if they aren't a piece of shit the other pieces of shit will destroy them. Both Alicent and Rhaenyra are just looking at each other like,  "you started fucking my dad while my mom's corpse was still burning." "Oh yeah,  well you fucked your uncle." "No I didn't,  he was having boner issues that miraculously disappeared." "Well you did fuck that asshat, Criston Cole" "So,  where was he when or sons were stabbing and bashing each other in the head with rocks? He clearly wasn't guarding 75% of the royal family which is kind of his only job." "I'm going to make him stab your kids eyes out." "You're a crazy person." "You made me a crazy person."

Dude, I don't know. I have a 4K TV, not a 120 hz one though, and it still looks incredibly dark.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dude, I don't know. I have a 4K TV, not a 120 hz one though, and it still looks incredibly dark.

Same here and all of the manual gamma and warm color adjustments in the world could not compensate for the darkness.

I was watching on my phone at work, so I'm glad it wasn't just me. 

From what I read today, they changed an important aspect of the end and people wonder if it's important or they just didn't want to totally heel on the happy couple. 

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hence the part about being kicked in the nuts. It's not that your TV is bad it's that they made the decision that unless your TV is some brand new state of the art shit, it won't be good enough. It would be one thing if you get to the point where you need a new TV to watch 30% of the things on television... but it's just this particular show and the other show in ths particular series. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Didn't it come out that the episode of GOT that was super dark,I think a battle episode, that HBO defended when people complained, it actually was too dark? 

Too dark is relative.  I'm not being facetious when I say in order to see the show, you need a new TV.  The biggest difference between a nice TV, and a super high-end TV is how they handle darkness.  For instance, a 4K OLED TV turns on and off every pixel in real time.  That allows the dark parts of the screen to have absolutely no light from those particular pixels.  On a less advanced screen, those dark parts are lit, so even though they are dark, there is light behind those pixels.  So when you have a show that is as dark as HotD was last night, you have parts of the screen that should be absolutely pitch black.  That way, the pixels that are dark are totally devoid of light, and the pixels that are lit show much better in contrast.  On older, less advanced TVs, even the darkest hues are backlit, so when something should be absolutely pitch black, it looks inky.  That inkyness is why it looks so bad.  Your eyes can't differentiate between the parts that should be devoid of light, and the parts that are just dimly lit, because the parts that are supposed to be pitch black aren't actually pitch black.