DVDVR Message Board

GOT - House of the Dragon

J.T.

I haven't watched episode 4 yet, but I did enjoy meeting our first Lannister in episode 3 and him sounding so much like all of the other Lannisters. I like little things like that where different houses have different accents or dialects.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Log said:

He then does just enough with her so that some people see what's going on and he bolts.

I am unsure if this is touched upon in the books but the show has given me the definite impression that Daemon is rather impotent (this scene, his wife never getting pregnant, I recall something in episode 1 as well). I think the rest of what you write up is plausible but I'm pretty convinced that if he could have performed in that instance he would have.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, username said:

I am unsure if this is touched upon in the books but the show has given me the definite impression that Daemon is rather impotent (this scene, his wife never getting pregnant, I recall something in episode 1 as well). I think the rest of what you write up is plausible but I'm pretty convinced that if he could have performed in that instance he would have.

You're right.  I forgot there was also an earlier scene where he was having trouble "performing".

1 hour ago, Log said:

You're right.  I forgot there was also an earlier scene where he was having trouble "performing".

I read that more as Daemon not being in to having sex at that time because he was too distracted by the succession stuff and his mind was elsewhere. His lady offered to bring in another maiden for him and he was basically like "nah, I'm just not feeling it right now." 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:51 PM, odessasteps said:

i had thought Otto was a babyface in the show. Guess I was wrong.

You THOUGHT you were wrong?   Otto preyed on Viserys's emotional vulnerability and sense of duty to the line of succession and pimped out his own daughter in the hope that his grandkid would beat Rhaenyra to the throne.   He is arguably the biggest douchebag in the series.  At least Corlys is honest about being Master of Ships first and a shit father second.  Who tells their daughter "It's okay to marry the king.  You don't have to fuck him until you are thirteen?"

The fucking characters in this fucking show, I swear.   I won't be terribly sad when the members of the Small Council start dropping like flies.  They've all got it coming to them.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

the guy he killed was from House Bracken.  The Brackens and Blackwoods are both riverlands lords (i.e. vassal to the Tullys) and have been feuding, Hatfield & McCoy style, for thousands of years, which is why the dude was so quick to heckle and shit talk a little kid in the first place and why little Blackwood was so quick to draw on him. (To paraphrase Eddie Kingston, with the Blackwoods and Brackens, it's pretty much On Sight.]

[Bracken sigil is a horse but it's in the same pose as the Baratheon stag and they wear similar colors so a lot of people around the interwebs seem confused but they're completely unaffiliated with the Baratheons and since he wasn't in the suitor line he may well have come all that way just to fuck with the Blackwood candidate which would be completely on-brand for the house.  I don't think the Brackens or Blackwoods got mentioned in the original series]

The Blackwoods are, as Lord Baratheon explained to Rhaneyra, First Men descended.  They also worship the Old Gods (their sigil's a dead giveaway; black ravens circling a weirwood tree on a red background) so I'm quite ready to embrace these guys as Stark Stand-Ins for the time being.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was the first episode that really worked for me. The party scene had a number of overlapping plot/character beats all happening at once which felt very similar to the best of the old show. Add in the sheer sense of cascading consequence during not just the Cole/Alicent scene but in everything that came before and followed and it's all coming together rather nicely. I guess this was primarily the first episode that felt like pay off and not just build (even if the payoff is just more build to the bigger conflict).

• Like 1

My main takeaway from the first five episodes is that the heads of the noble houses are the worst parents ever.

Otto is such a dumbass.  He isn't wrong about Rhaenyra having to go batshit and kill all of Alicent's kids if she is to protect her right to rule, and fucking Otto has put his own daughter in the worst possible position in order to protect something he might not live to see.  Usually, masterminds want to survive long enough to witness their long view plans come to fruition.  Otto is the epitome of reach exceeding grasp.

Our little Rhaenyra is growing up and learning to play the Game, dudes.  In the ickiest way imaginable, I am kinda proud of her.  She was all, "Hey, Corlys Jr.  Let's go ahead and get married.  That way when my dad dies, I'll be queen, you will be the most powerful man in the Eight Kingdoms, we'll have enough military might and dragons to kick the shit out of anyone that opposes us, and I'll happily be your beard so long as you look the other way when I go to fuck the Captain of the Guard."

I hate all these people, but I love the characters.  This show seems to be finally hitting its stride.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Am I the only one surprised that is surprised more people don't get beaten to death when someone comes up and tries to play them to their face?  I get it, the show wouldn't work if every scheming asshole got killed every time they tried to scheme, but it should happen more often than it does.  It's funny, because I knew that dude was doomed as soon as they introduced him, but I didn't expect him to go up to Ser Criston Cole and say, "hey dude, we're totally the royal fuck buddies."

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

And we're time skipping again next week. I'm wondering if we're going to get to Viserys dying or if they're going to save the Dance of Dragons for S2.

From what I understand, the new main actress switch happened next week. 

i also learned there’s been a time jump in every episode, some only a couple months, so not as jarring. 

14 hours ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only one surprised that is surprised more people don't get beaten to death when someone comes up and tries to play them to their face?  

Well, that douchebag noble, Jerrel Bracken, tried to break on Willem Blackwood while he was presenting himself to Rhaenyra on the proposal tour and got his punk ass shivved over the insult.   We nearly pissed ourselves laughing at that shit.  Little Man was not that dude to step to.

A child, Rhaenyra?  Nay, the Blackwood lad is a fucking grown-up that is not afraid to draw steel and cut a mother fucker..  Maybe you should consider marrying him after all?

Oh, and I sometimes wonder whether or not Corlys really believes his own bullshit.  He went on about Daemon's wife being killed during a "hunting accident" as if he had really convinced himself that was the undeniable truth.  Even Viserys was thinking, "You're full of shit, my guy.  My brother most likely murdered her ass," but he couldn't say what was on his mind because he had to talk alliance business.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Little Man went out there and got himself over in his debut segment.  Pretty much every youtube reaction channel I've checked has popped big for it.

Again, Honorary Northman until if/when actual Northerners get involved in this story. 

• Like 1

It is gonna be pretty ironic if the show about the Targaryen civil war ends up spawning a civil war among the fanbase due to them switching half the actors out midway through the first season. If the actress playing the older version of Rhaenyra doesn't hit it out of the park immediately I could see the reaction being... notable.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:33 PM, username said:

It is gonna be pretty ironic if the show about the Targaryen civil war ends up spawning a civil war among the fanbase due to them switching half the actors out midway through the first season. If the actress playing the older version of Rhaenyra doesn't hit it out of the park immediately I could see the reaction being... notable.

After one episode, I don't think this will be an issue.  I honestly don't understand how they got two different sets of actresses who look like the same person 10 years apart, and for all 4 of them to immediately hit it out of the park.  I'm going to need them to go into Larys Strong's background to why he was so eager to sell out his family for someone else's family.  It doesn't really make sense to me yet, but pretty much everyone else's motivation on this show is pretty clear.  Rhaenyra and Alicent's relationship is pretty much exactly what it should be at this point.  Neither has any reason to trust the other, both have every right to dislike the other, and they are both petty as hell.