DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/22 - 8/27/2022

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

We are losing as a society by not giving us a reunion of The Way. Johnny Wrestling is eh. The Way rules.

I checked out the speech on youtube and it felt like a less interesting version of the Cody "still have things to do" speech.

I don't know, I wanted him as the hugely successful and hilarious ace for the HFO nine months ago. I'm sure if they brought him into AEW he would have been an earnest wrestler and not hilarious though so it's not a big loss.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

That is one theory most people have had.  The other that most people believe is that they realized Toxic Attraction isn't ready for primetime.  I didn't see the match to see if there was something that could have hurt her.    Although you would think if that is true that they would mention Jacy Jane who has way less experience than Gigi.  

Fwiw, Meltzer and Alvarez have both said multiple times that Dolin and Jane aren’t ready for the main roster.  They though the tag team tourney match was bad.  I think I watched the tag match, but i don.’t remember a thing about it.  From what I have seen in NXT, I ‘m not really convinced TA needs called up.  Mandy’s epic title run hasn’t done much for me either.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Last night was one of their biggest TV crowds in a while...and no Universal champion or tag champions on the show? Isn't Drew a Raw brand guy? Toronto could've had a much better show.

Drew is a Smackdown guy.

36 minutes ago, Ace said:

Is last night the first time Byron Saxton stood up to Corey Graves?

Not even remotely. He talks crap to Corey all the time, including kind of getting to the point of being a dick when it came to Carmella.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

That is one theory most people have had.  The other that most people believe is that they realized Toxic Attraction isn't ready for primetime.  I didn't see the match to see if there was something that could have hurt her.    Although you would think if that is true that they would mention Jacy Jane who has way less experience than Gigi.  

People on one board I read were speculating Gigi was injured way before the announcement. According to them she has barely had any physical contact in their matches for weeks. You'd think if people on the internet can see something WWE would know about it beforehand, so I have no idea if they are right.

This week's Raw was a 30 minute walk away. Tho I've enjoyed a handful of matches in the past two weeks, I find these shows insanely overlong and full of things I have no interest in sitting thru. So I gave very little thought to actually being live. I believe I made the correct decision as I FFWD thru much of the opening 15 or so minutes. I liked Trish Stratus as a heel character (less so the barking), but don't recall ever enjoying her matches. I wonder if she got good while I was on WWE Hiatus? Dug this Women's Tag Tourney bout. If AEW's Women's Division were anywhere near as good as WWE's I would be with the ppl clamouring for more TV segments. I hope to see a lengthy singles bout from Asuka and Io. Is Asuka the best wrestler in 2022? Ziggler's such a wooden WWE promo. But man is he fantastic inside the ring. There's probably a really great Ziggler heel character in there, no? Very fun TV bout here with Balor. Liked the finish. Rhea Ripley seems destined for the Reigns/tippy top Superstar position. Such a star! Gable did a good job covering the time, but his promo would have been better served in half. Being able to see Kevin Owens work competitive TV matches again might be the best reason to watch this show. Gable isn't too far behind. I'd love to see him become a bit more of a player. I like to believe these kind of showings r gonna help get him there. I've seen very little of Bayley, but dug seeing 'workout' sorta bout. She's really great. This Women's Division is impressive. Dug the Ciampa/Miz-Styles/Lashley bout. I dig this Dexter Lumis stuff. That sleeper kidnapping looked terrific. Dumb finish. They should have just doubleteamed and beaten Ciampa. It's basically what happened anyway. I liked the Johnny Gargano surprise. A Fair interview segment. I've only seen a few Gargano matches - one of which was the incredible FTR bout from Toronto. He's a pretty fantastic performer from what I've seen, so I'll have to wait and see why for others he fuels such hatred. I liked the earlier Judgement Day hanging around backstage promo. I kinda ffwd thru the beginning of the Edge-Priest Main Event, and never really found my interest. Priest's missed splash and dumb set-up for a follow-up kick from 'Adam' seemed below these guy's abilities. Is Priest kind of a bonehead sometimes? Or inconsistent? Edge looked fine for what I saw here, but I can't thus far connect to bland babyface Edge. Maybe Mysterio can make him interesting in a tag bout. Anyway, I really like how they're playing up the cities that they're in. Is the production a lot better than it was? I'm not finding the camera cuts to be too much of a nuisance. I'm still at the honeymoon stage with WWE commentary where each week I can't help marvel at the abilities of the team to actually keep me interested and not so annoyed that I'm listening at a low volume by show's end - which is my regular AEW jam. These aren't great shows from start to finish - no matter if the running time is 2 or 3 hours, but I actually really like that there's a lot of filler. And things I don't really care about. I'm good with a solid 40 minutes to an hour. And as that - this was again a really good show!

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Some things from what I was able to 

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

This week's Raw was a 30 minute walk away. Tho I've enjoyed a handful of matches in the past two weeks, I find these shows insanely overlong and full of things I have no interest in sitting thru. So I gave very little thought to actually being live. I believe I made the correct decision as I FFWD thru much of the opening 15 or so minutes. I liked Trish Stratus as a heel character (less so the barking), but don't recall ever enjoying her matches. I wonder if she got good while I was on WWE Hiatus? Dug this Women's Tag Tourney bout. If AEW's Women's Division were anywhere near as good as WWE's I would be with the ppl clamouring for more TV segments. I hope to see a lengthy singles bout from Asuka and Io. Is Asuka the best wrestler in 2022? Ziggler's such a wooden WWE promo. But man is he fantastic inside the ring. There's probably a really great Ziggler heel character in there, no? Very fun TV bout here with Balor. Liked the finish. Rhea Ripley seems destined for the Reigns/tippy top Superstar position. Such a star! Gable did a good job covering the time, but his promo would have been better served in half. Being able to see Kevin Owens work competitive TV matches again might be the best reason to watch this show. Gable isn't too far behind. I'd love to see him become a bit more of a player. I like to believe these kind of showings r gonna help get him there. I've seen very little of Bayley, but dug seeing 'workout' sorta bout. She's really great. This Women's Division is impressive. Dug the Ciampa/Miz-Styles/Lashley bout. I dig this Dexter Lumis stuff. That sleeper kidnapping looked terrific. Dumb finish. They should have just doubleteamed and beaten Ciampa. It's basically what happened anyway. I liked the Johnny Gargano surprise. A Fair interview segment. I've only seen a few Gargano matches - one of which was the incredible FTR bout from Toronto. He's a pretty fantastic performer from what I've seen, so I'll have to wait and see why for others he fuels such hatred. I liked the earlier Judgement Day hanging around backstage promo. I kinda ffwd thru the beginning of the Edge-Priest Main Event, and never really found my interest. Priest's missed splash and dumb set-up for a follow-up kick from 'Adam' seemed below these guy's abilities. Is Priest kind of a bonehead sometimes? Or inconsistent? Edge looked fine for what I saw here, but I can't thus far connect to bland babyface Edge. Maybe Mysterio can make him interesting in a tag bout. Anyway, I really like how they're playing up the cities that they're in. Is the production a lot better than it was? I'm not finding the camera cuts to be too much of a nuisance. I'm still at the honeymoon stage with WWE commentary where each week I can't help marvel at the abilities of the team to actually keep me interested and not so annoyed that I'm listening at a low volume by show's end - which is my regular AEW jam. These aren't great shows from start to finish - no matter if the running time is 2 or 3 hours, but I actually really like that there's a lot of filler. And things I don't really care about. I'm good with a solid 40 minutes to an hour. And as that - this was again a really good show!

I'm actually jealous that you haven't watched a lot of Bayley because following her journey has been one of the most rewarding stories for me as a wrestling fan. I really think she's on the short list of best WWE wrestlers of all-time at this point and just ridiculously important to pro wrestling in 2022. She was the first of The Horsewomen to break out as a character. And the joy of watching NXT women's wrestling wasn't just watching people take women's wrestling seriously, but the realization that you could have all sorts of great feuds and storylines with women that revolved around someone wanting to play within the rules whose naivety allowed her to get taken advantage of time and time again until she found the self-confidence needed to become a champion. Bayley was an all-time great babyface in NXT. But her heel stuff in WWE has been just as great, because she understands how to wrestle as a character like few others do. She just gets it. 

• Like 1

Other things from last night:

KO/Gable was really great. That was two really good professional wrestlers having a good, lengthy match for the sole purpose of putting a hometown-ish guy over with the live crowd while they figure out his direction going forward. 

Bayley/Aaliyah wasn't necessarily good but it was interesting. I liked how the match was laid out. Aaliyah had a lot of nice hope spots. The problem is that no one believed Aaliyah had a chance to win or has any reason to care about Aaliyah beyond being from Toronto, which they could have just made up for all anyone cared. There's nothing wrong with being performance enhancement talent with a gimmick, which is what Aaliyah is. I don't know what she can do to level up from that because she hasn't shown anything at all. But sometimes you need people to lose a 5-7 minute match.

The Ziggler/Finn match on Raw was also another really competent match. But man matches like these are such a perfect opportunity to do something that I think would help everyone long-term, and that's win with something other than a finisher. It would make matches so much more engaging if people could just have the belief that a secondary move could lead to a win. 

The main event was also quality. I was really impressed with Damian Priest. I liked him when he started coming around as Punishment Martinez, which is an A+ all-time wrestling name. Priest is really friggin' great. Great presence, timing, etc. Even though he's relatively new on the main roster he looked like he belonged in the ring with a HOF guy like Edge.

26 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

There's nothing wrong with being performance enhancement talent with a gimmick, which is what Aaliyah is. I don't know what she can do to level up from that because she hasn't shown anything at all.

Aliyah is miscast as a face. She was still enhancement level in NXT, ring wise, but she showed herself to be at least be a decent heel character particularly with Robert Stone.

3 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

People on one board I read were speculating Gigi was injured way before the announcement. According to them she has barely had any physical contact in their matches for weeks. You'd think if people on the internet can see something WWE would know about it beforehand, so I have no idea if they are right.

Jacy has been taking the lead for most of their matches for a while now so I doubt the reason was injury related. I suspect its people just guessing with how Gigi was injured in their title match against Roxanne & Cora back at the beginning of July. Its possible she was always hurt, but she looked fine in other matches and segments.

Edited by Eivion

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

Last night was one of their biggest TV crowds in a while...and no Universal champion or tag champions on the show? Isn't Drew a Raw brand guy? Toronto could've had a much better show.

I wonder if they can even get the Usos across the border with all the DUIs. 

Sorry I'm late.  Greek Restaurant/Kroger/Sightless Eyes/A whole lot of DARK/shower/SQUEAKY CLEAN!  Briggs and Stratton!  Brooks and Dunne!  Briggs and Jensen!  That's how I will remember Bro Country's name from here on out.  I am unfamiliar with GALLUS!  HOW CAN ENJOY WRESTLING THAT I'M UNFAMILIAR WITH!  Gallus are fun.  Where is Pretty Deadly?  So Briggs is supposed to be the Booker T of Bro Country.  I dunno.  They are both perfectly fine.  I actually can't tell them apart and I've seen them like ten times.  Gallus seem to be really good heel tag team guys- as they are beating the crap out of Jensen.  They are little Fit Finlays.  PRETTY DEADLY!  YES!  From behind, I thought they were two girls attacking Fallon Henley!  They're so pretty!  AND DEADLY!  That was a shitty WWE finish but at least we got to see Pretty Deadly.  I dig Gallus.  I am not familiar with Javier Bernal!  HOW CAN I ENJOY WRESTLING THAT I'M UNFAMILIAR WITH!  It's Cameron Grimes.  Javier seems good for a guy who Grimes CRUSHES pretty quickly.  It's Indi Hartwell!  Wasn't she romantically entangled with Dexter Lumis before he got shitcanned the first time?  Is he going to stalk her and drag her from ringside? Are they going to do a thing about Indi being in love with a psychopath? EDGY!  It's Bea Priestley!  She goes by Something Davenport in NXT!  I await Davenport versus Asuka and IYO SKY since she made her bones in Stardom.  BLAIR!  Her name is Blair Davenport.  Indi Hartwell is right in the middle of the NXT women's division so Davenport had to dumb everything down a bit.   Mandy Rose versus Bea Priestly will be good.  Mandy is way better on THE STICK~! than Blair Davenport!  HOLY SHIT!  MEIKO SATOMURA!  The best wrestler of her generation!  Okay, Mandy versus Meiko Satomura would be AWESOME. OH NO!  A THREE WAY!  That sucks.  HEY! IT'S DEXTER LUMIS!  AWESOME!  These kids are back together!  YAAAY!  Love lifts us up where weeeee belong....  That was beautiful.  She is in love with a psychopath.  NXT channels BADLANDS and I back their play 100%.  TEAM GACEY vs TEAM D'ANGELO was the best match so far.  It was pretty short.  It's Von Wagner.  I don't think I've ever seen Tyler Bate wrestle before.  He's teeny.  Wagner is manhandling him, to foreshadow the match against Breakker.  So NXT UK is 2021 ROH and HHH is Tony Khan.  Tyler Bate is Jonathan Gresham and Bron Breakker is Claudio.  Actually, it's like Bate is Rhett Titus and Breakker is Minoru Suzuki.  Fun finisher by Bate.  I assume he gets slaughtered next week.  It's Tiffany Stratton against Wendy Choo in a Lights Slightly Dimmed Match!  WE WANT BLOOD!  This is fun.  Stratton hits Choo with a toolbox.  That's great.  Choo and Stratton are good in the ring together.  Choo is better but Stratton holds up her end.  They fight over who is going through the bed frame in picture in picture into Big Screen.  I'm assuming whowever goes through the bedframe loses.  Tiffany Stratton is good. Man, she isn't afraid to take a horrible bump onto a chair after landing a BEAUTIFUL moonsault to nowhere. I'm digging this match.  LEGOS!  MORE LEGOS!  Oop!  Missed the legos.  A makeup body slam into the legos!  I am really digging this match.  WHO WILL GO THROUGH THE BEDFRAME?  It is Tiffany Stratton going through the bed frame!  I just now noticed that Choo has chocolate chip cookies on her onesy.  That's adorable.  That was great. Choo won but Tiffany Stratton looked fucking great bumping all over the ring to make Choo look like a million bucks.  Two good matches.  One was really good.  HHH! HHH! HHH!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caley said:

I wonder if they can even get the Usos across the border with all the DUIs. 

This was many years ago but three of my friends decided to do a road trip to Vancouver. One had a prior dui, so it abruptly turned into a Seattle road trip. 

• Like 1

Briggs/Jensen vs. Gallus was pretty solid until the shitty finish. Not sure how that wasn't a dq victory for Briggs/Jensen. Curious if the tag titles are setled at Worlds Collide or after. A part of me wants to see it done after.

Grimes/Javier was fine.

Indi/Blair was ok, but Indi seemed unable to bump properly on most of Blair's bigger moves. I love Indi as character, but she continues to be one of the weaker in ring prospects of the NXT women's division. It reminds me of IIconics/IInspiration where they just never improved for some odd reason. Blair/Meiko/Mandy should be fun though I'm not sure its as good as any of those matches would have been as singles. Can't help but wonder if Mandy not getting a singles match is a lack of trust in her working with Meiko or just not wanting her to pin Meiko. Mandy is solid, but she isn't remotely on level of her Worlds Collide opponents.

Cruz/Wilde vs. GYV was good stuff as expected though it feels weird with Gibson clearly holding back wanting to mouth off to the fans as a heel. Loved Escobar picking up the rest of Legado in the black van later on in the parking lot. Was a fun callback to how the group started. Wonder if they are Smackdown or Raw bound.

What I caught of the Crews/Waller segment was solid if a bit long.

Bate/Wagner was good. Wagner made great use of his size and Bate was passionate and clever when he needed to be. This was a nice reminder of how capable Bate is.

Choo/Stratton twas a fun brawling and plunder match. Loved Choo going completely serious and wearing real wrestling gear. Loved the legos and bed coming into play. The bed as a faux table bump was neat. both women looked good, but this might be the best Stratton has looked yet. I'm happy Wendy won, but I continue to look forward to a future where Stratton is Women's champ.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I don't think I've ever seen Tyler Bate wrestle before.  He's teeny.

You need to see WALTER/Bate for the NXT UK title. It is fantastic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You need to see WALTER/Bate for the NXT UK title. It is fantastic. 

Seconded. My 2019 MOTY. WALTER's best WWE match and Tyler Bate's also. A ***** match.

I'd also recommend Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne from NXT TakeOver: Chicago but that has it's detractors.

Indi’s mostly looked bad lately.  Granted, several of her opponents were greener then she is, but Bea doesn’t fall onto that category.  Hard to see Indi getting a callup.  And I really hope last night was the end of the Drxter-Indi stuff,

Wonder if Dexter will be able to do his time at the Uso Penitentiary..  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti