DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/22 - 8/27/2022

Dolfan in NYC

The women's tag match was good. I was half expecting Trish to get added into the mix somehow.

Ziggler/Balor was a quality match, but it's Dolph Ziggler, everyone knows he's not going anywhere.

Good stuff from Owens and Gable. I guess it's Canada so Owens is over but he's better as a heel.

Ciampa deserves better than being Miz's stooge, but it's probably only a matter of time before he turns on him.

Speaking of which, they're going to give us another forced epic between he and Gargano now aren't they?

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Gigi Dolin injured, Toxic Attraction out of the tag tournament. A "second chance" 4 way announced for SD for the spot.

Hmmm... or a way to write Sasha and Naomi back in?

• Like 1

It's 10:01.  Let's see if I can make it to REAL TIME!  Asuka and Alexa Bliss take on Iyo Sky and Dakota Kai!  Asuka is all wacky,  taunting Damage CTRL.  Iyo Sky is actually IYO SKY according to cagematch.net.  IYO SKY and Asuka are so many levels above the rest of the WWE Women's division, technically.  Other ladies are better at putting together US pro style matches but none of them are better in the ring technically.  They are giving this match a lot of time.  IYO and Asuka are MAGIC in the ring together.  IYO and Alexa are MAGIC in the ring.  IYO is MAGIC.  Damage CTRL are like PROMINENCE invading STARDOM.  IYO would be the Suzu Suzuki in the ring while Bayley is the Suzu Suzuki angle-wise.  The finish was fun.  That was good wrestling.  Finn Balor takes on the BattlARTS stylings of  Dolph Ziggler!  Ziggler eschews the sweet sweet BattlARTS and goes all US Pro Style and he suffers the results as Balor beats the crap out of him.  Ziggler takes an Irish Whip harder than anyone EVER HAS!  Ziggler sticks with his US Pro Style roots and gets the upper hand!  Balor cuts him off and there are some fun nearfalls.  Balor is not leaning into many dropkicks tonight.  Fun nearfall on the FameASSer.  They are definitely giving the matches time tonight.  Another neato nearfall on the ZIGZAG!  Both these guys throw good punches.  Rhea Ripley with the assist for the Double Stomp win.  That match was great for something that started so heatless and got heated as they told a fun little story that got the crowd behind the match before it was over.  Kevin Owens!  Versus Chad Gable!  THIS should be good.  Owens is OVER in Canada.  This match is fucking great.  They are beating the shit out of each other.  GREAT fucking Exploider on the floor by Gable.  Oh man, Owens DIES on the apron taking a German.  Gable goes completely STEINER with the German Suplexes.  Owens counters with a Released German Suplex with a Cannonball chaser!  Great nearfall on an Owens Love Machine Splash.  GREAT German Suplex with a Bridge by Gablke FOR TWO!  GREAT nearfall on a Superplex!  POP UP POWERBOMB!  That match was COMPLETELY awesome.  AEW is going to have a tough time topping that one.  Postmatch, Otis GETS THEIR HEAT BACK!  OR maybe they don't!  Kevin Owens revels in his Canadianness!  That was fucking great.  Aliyah and Bayley HAVE to have an average match.  There is no way they are going to have FOUR very good to GREAT matches in a row.  Bayley is awesome by working the EAR of Aliyah.  This is good.  NOT very good!  Okay, Aliyah is making this almost very good,  yeah,  ALMOST VERY GOOD!  Jesus Christ, tonight RAW is loaded.  Bobby Lashley and AJ Styles take on Ciampa and the Miz.  Lashley is a ROBOT!  That was an impressive Endless Lateral Suplex.  The Miz and Ciampa are a fun heel tag team.  Ciampa is great beating on AJ Styles to get the crowd into his STRUGGLE to escape Ciampa and the Miz's hard edged ass beating.  Ciampa does a great Bulldog Choke on Styles.  The Miz and Ciampa are fucking GREAT as Arn and Tully.  Man, that is some quality heeling to keep Styles away from Lashley.  Lashley is great lunatic after the HOT TAG!  Great Orton DDT to cut off Lashley.  Great nearfall on a Spear. Dexter Lumis drags Miz away and FINALLY a shitty WWE finish.  That was a REALLY great tag match before it got ruined.  Hey!  It's Joey Gargano!  I remember when he was a GREAT heel in Pro Wrestling Ohio back when I could afford DirecTV.  It's Edge versus Damien Priest!  I have fast forwarded through every second of Edge up until now.  But he is in the ring so here we are.  So Edge is 6'5"ish?  Let me look it up.  Oh 6'4"  according to cagematch.net.  Damien Priest is 6'7"!  The Undertaker is 6'10"!  Edge is from Canada so he is beloved.  Priest is bumping like a psycho for Edge.  This match is fine.  It lacks the hellishness of three other matches on this show.  Edge is STING-like with the Old Guy Coming Off the Top.  Fun powerbomb through a table by Priest.  This match is effective getting Priest over as a killer since a fired up, vengeful Edge can't take him out easily.  Priest is actually beating the crud out of Edge so Judgement Day looks pretty strong.  Fun nearfall on the KILLSWITCH by Priest.  Another fun nearfall on a Black Cat DDT by Edge.  I didn't buy the Chokeslam by Edge but it is professional wrestling.  They do stuff with chairs, including a neat visual of Damien Priest becoming a HUMAN SKULL after being put in a Crossface.  A Canadian Destroyer and a Spear!  This is ALSO very good.  That was almost great!  That was like the best episode of RAW that I can remember.  POSTMATCH!  Judgement Day get their heat back!  Beth Phoenix fights for her man!  That was awesome.  HHH! HHH! HHH!  

• Like 6

This was a pretty good show tonight. The streak for Triple H continues. It's amazing what happens when the wrestling stuff takes precedent over the entertainment. Trish looks great so it's always good to see her and I loved how they teased a Trish/Bayley match. It probably won't happen, but one could dream.

The tag match was pretty good. I loved the interaction between Iyo and Asuka. Loved the ending with the tag and Dakota tapping only for the ref to info Asuka she wasn't legal. Nice roll up for the win.

Dolph vs. Finn was good. I liked the backstage segment when Dolph was like "Kid...aren't we the same age?". Why they treat Finn as if he's an upstart rookie I don't know. But the match was good. Thought Dolph would win since Judgement Day is floundering right now but was surprised when Finn ended up winning.

Gable having an open challenge end up being answered by Kevin Owens. I guess someone from Quebec counts as a hometown guy. It was realy good. This is the kinda match I''ve been waiting for Gable to have for ages. Again probably won't happen, but I want Otis vs. Owens next week.

Bobby/AJ vs. Ciampa/Miz was good. I just like many others here are waiting for Ciampa to turn on Miz and do what he did to Johnny Gargano that time.

Speaking of Johnny Wrestling that was a nice surprise. He would have never made the main show with Vince around.

Aliyah vs Bayley was not that good. I like Aliyah. She's got a great look and she does try hard. But getting thrown into the deep end for a unannounced match like that doesn't help her. I know it was her home town, but to be honest I'm amazed she's been with the company as long as she has been.

Edge vs. Priest should have been a street fight or something. Something to capitalize on the hatred between the two. It was a good match, but it could have used some plunder. The Razor's edge on the table was nice though. Leave it to Edge to do a Destroyer in his home town. Edge wins and of course the rest of judgement day comes out to run interference. Give me Rhea vs. Beth.

Overall a good show.

• Like 2

Didn't pay attention to everything due to multitasking attempts again, but this did seem like a much better show than last week.

Io/Dakota vs. Asuka/Alexa was solid even with Asuka missing half her urakens. Io and Dakota looked so good during all of this. They will be good tag champs.

What I caught of Ziggler/Finn seemed good, but tis just so hard for me to give a fuck about Ziggler in 2022.

What I caught of Owens/Gable seemed solid-good as well.

Missed much of Lashley/AJ vs. Miz/Ciampa though the bits I saw were fun. I did enjoy Lumis kidnaping Miz at the end.

Gargano's segment with Theory was a nice return and well done. A part of me is sad we aren't getting the Way again just because they were so fun and its still easily the best Theory has been as a character. Still, its probably good that Gargano is starting off a face the audience can get behind. If they a smart they probably should have him win the briefcase off of Theory. Neither hsould win the belt, but Gargano/Roman sounds much better than Theory/Roman.

Bayley/Aliyah was decent. It was nice to see them try to give Aliyah a showcase, but she is not super consistent. Bayley felt a bit rough as well with it being her first match back. 

Edge/Priest was good. Kind of surprising with the two working a PPV/PLE match for all intents and purposes. They went all out and busted out some nice surprises. Was also neat seeign it kept between the two until the post match segment which I dug. Beth fending off Judgement Day with a chair was neat.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I told you mother fuckers that Gargano wasn't going to leave the WWE.

As an AEW guy let me just say: I don’t think anyone wanted him to. Yet another name from a roster that got its brains beaten in by an upstart. I’m not sure I see why this is a big deal…

• Like 2

Not to sugarcoat NXT getting battered by AEW, or go too hard on defending Gargano, but I still think the problem with NXT during that run wasn't the wrestlers, it was the stagnation. For years pre AEW, there were two main hooks - who will win a title, and who will transcend winning a title to get called up to the main roster?

At a certain point they drastically reduced the number of call ups and the pushes of those called up, a lot of the main names had already won and lost the title, and on a meta level it started being a story about former indie stars fighting forever in purgatory.

Titles in NXT used to be like a Money In The Bank briefcase where you had to lose them to someone else to cash in the prize of getting called up and getting a substantial push. As soon as they started presenting them as an end in themselves, and having wrestlers express their wish to win them multiple times, the whole machine was fucked up. Wanting your favourites to lose so they could get ascended to the big leagues wasn't ideal, but at least it was compelling, and leant itself to constant regeneration and novelty.

AEW would have beaten NXT anyway, but to make it closer WWE either needed to double down on making it a third brand, with bigger stars and no developmental aspect, or turn the intrigue of who would get promoted to the big shows into its main hook. 

• Like 4

Tbh I'm happy because although AEW actually managed to get away with improving Cole's entrance schtick, I don't think anyone was ever improving on Rebel Heart - which I think is one of the greatest wrestling themes of all time.

Gargano feels like a WWE guy to me, and I think there's a lot he can do there which is more interesting than AEW dream matches.

8 hours ago, Peck said:

Hmmm... or a way to write Sasha and Naomi back in?

That is one theory most people have had.  The other that most people believe is that they realized Toxic Attraction isn't ready for primetime.  I didn't see the match to see if there was something that could have hurt her.    Although you would think if that is true that they would mention Jacy Jane who has way less experience than Gigi.