DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17.

The Natural

Spoiler

Loved the Sephiroth song, as a massive FF7 fan I lost my shit.

My apologies for any randomness,I've been drinking a lot tonight watching this one haha.

Anyway claimed paid crowd number was about 26k, on par with the last Wednesday Wrestle Kingdom which was Okada vs Omega 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Horangi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was listening to Chris Charlton's translation but it sounds like he didn't hear the date correctly. Chris was debating between 21/1 in Yokohama or 1/2 in Aomori, but it seems 11/2 in Osaka was the date.

Spoiler

Went back to listen where Charlton thinks Shingo said a date..and Shingo didn't say a date. He says "いい返事 待ってるぜ" "ii henji materuze" or I'm waiting for your positive response/answer (clunky, I know). I don't blame Charlton. It's hard to hear and translate things on the fly like that.

• Like 2

Oh, man! Omega vs Ospreay was ABSURD! NOT AT ALL the match I was expecting those two to have. Incredible. For a show where my three favourite guys in the company (Ishii, Cobb, and Shingo) were all relegated to the Ranbo and MiSu and Naito both worked nostalgia trios matches, I still enjoyed the hell out of everything. But Omega vs Ospreay was on another level. I'm still freaking out about it now.

Edit: for the record, I REALLY enjoyed Kairi vs Tam and Ren vs Zack, too.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Oh, man! Omega vs Ospreay was ABSURD! NOT AT ALL the match I was expecting those two to have. Incredible.

All of this. I was expecting artistic, contrived looking 2.99 flippy floppy and sure you got a little of that, but these two dudes smashed each other in the fucking jaw for 30 minutes. Good on both - best Ospreay match I’ve seen by a country mile. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So I am confused on Mercedes I guess new finishing move?   Was that just a botch or was supposed to kind of look like a arm bar at the end.    

This is what she was going for. It's not exactly great to begin with but it was probably in the taking?

5 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

All of this. I was expecting artistic, contrived looking 2.99 flippy floppy and sure you got a little of that, but these two dudes smashed each other in the fucking jaw for 30 minutes. Good on both - best Ospreay match I’ve seen by a country mile. 

I think guys like Osprey and Omega bulking up is always a plus since they're still agile AF but start leaning more into the brutal violence side of things instead of the more contrived flippy side.

Edited by eikerir

Surely the Kenny Omega big match layout is up there in the wrestling lexicon alongside the dusty finish by now? Seriously, Last, Cornette and all these other daddy’s wrasslin’ snobs can continue to deny evolution; pro-wrestling is alive and doing fucking great. BBM Kenny rules, Will Ospreay is the best in the damn world and you can bugger off and watch Raw if you disagree. Happy new year!

Edited by matwarz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Horangi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Loved the Sephiroth song, as a massive FF7 fan I lost my shit.

My apologies for any randomness,I've been drinking a lot tonight watching this one haha.

Anyway claimed paid crowd number was about 26k, on par with the last Wednesday Wrestle Kingdom which was Okada vs Omega 

On the spoiler:

Spoiler

That music was lost on me. Could never get into Final Fantasy/RPG. Do fuck all for me. I was disappointed there was no Devil's Sky having heard it at the press conference.

Bonus favourite things; top rope croyt’s wrath, ZSJ calling out the British PM, next level selling from Will and Jay, ZSJ calling out the British PM, Sasha making Jade Cargill look like a grizzled vet, blood, ‘smart’ fans on t’internet already saying ‘why did Kenny win, there should be a rematch’ and ZSJ calling out the British PM.

Edited by matwarz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, matwarz said:

Bonus favourite things; top rope croyt’s wrath, ZSJ calling out the British PM, next level selling from Will and Jay, ZSJ calling out and British PM, Sasha making Jade Cargill look like a grizzled vet, blood, ‘smart’ fans on t’internet already saying ‘why did Kenny win, there should be a rematch’ and ZSJ calling out the British PM.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:
  Hide contents

God bless ZSJ.

Sasha looked fucking awful, look, botched finisher, bad promo, holy shit.

I know Bushiroad is paying her and she said she's in Stardom.  That'll keep her from AEW at least.

Nice of NJPW to carve out a whole five minutes for the Women's Title.  So their as shitty with the Women's division as AEW is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m gonna catch up on the show after work today, but I did watch Mercedes’ debut, and…

She pretty much got the reaction I expected? She doesn’t have any significant history in Japan. And WWE hasn’t even been a big factor in that market for the last few years due to Covid, etc. Why would anyone expect a predominantly Japanese crowd to have a big reaction to her? This is a signing for the Western audience.

That said, having a lousy WK debut is not a predictor of how your NJPW career will turn out, as evidenced by the guy who won the main event.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

On the spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

That music was lost on me. Could never get into Final Fantasy/RPG. Do fuck all for me. I was disappointed there was no Devil's Sky having heard it at the press conference.

Spoiler

Kenny Omega's NJPW theme song was always supposed to be a cheap stock music rip-off of One Winged Angel/Sephiroth's theme. I remember cringing myself sideways the first time I heard it.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Sasha looked fucking awful, look, botched finisher, bad promo, holy shit.

I know Bushiroad is paying her and she said she's in Stardom.  That'll keep her from AEW at least.

Nice of NJPW to carve out a whole five minutes for the Women's Title.  So their as shitty with the Women's division as AEW is.

To me other than the botch her hair was the worst part. I get wanting a different color, but man that was terrible.