DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17.

The Natural

I feel SANADA is step above the Ishiis and TAICHIs and Narita can lose to him while still looking strong. If KENTA had won I would say Narita makes it to the final easy. Plus, I think the 15 minute time limit is the best use of SANADA right now.

Of course none of this really matters to me since my one true pick, YOSHI-HASHI, is now gone.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lostinube said:

Was busy this weekend and didn't get to see much of anything but the TV title semis are Zack/EVIL and SANADA/Narita. Not sure where they go with that. SANADA/Zack has been done to death. It feels like it's too early to put Narita over SANADA right now. So I guess SANADA over EVIL?

Former LIJ final potentially between SANADA and EVIL. Ugh. Never rated either one of them. Fucking criminal Zack Sabre Jr isn't a multi time singles champion in NJPW.

14 hours ago, Horangi said:

My gut feel is Zack vs Narita final with Shibata on commentary to see the guy he had his exhibition return against his disciple/official return match opponent.

I think it'll be Zack Sabre Jr/Ren Narita for that reason.

I saw that NJ is selling a package tour for US fans to go the the Dome show. I thought that the prices were reasonable, but then someone showed me that airfare is not included. They are charging $1200 - 2000 for what I would spend $500 for with the current exchange rate. 

I decided to skip this year. I will go to the Muto Dome show instead. If things go well for me (I'm a fat old man having mobility problems) I will go back for GW into the May Sumo.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:08 PM, Horangi said:

My gut feel is Zack vs Narita final with Shibata on commentary to see the guy he had his exhibition return against his disciple/official return match opponent.

If Narita can go clean over Ishii, surely it isn't a stretch for him to go over SANADA too

On 11/1/2022 at 4:06 AM, The Natural said:

Former LIJ final potentially between SANADA and EVIL. Ugh. Never rated either one of them. Fucking criminal Zack Sabre Jr isn't a multi time singles champion in NJPW.

I think it'll be Zack Sabre Jr/Ren Narita for that reason.

Called it. I'm hoping Hiroshi Tanahashi and Tetsuya Naito get special singles matches for their worth to NJPW, particularly what Tanahashi's done for NJPW.

8 hours ago, ka-to said:

I saw that NJ is selling a package tour for US fans to go the the Dome show. I thought that the prices were reasonable, but then someone showed me that airfare is not included. They are charging $1200 - 2000 for what I would spend $500 for with the current exchange rate. 

I decided to skip this year. I will go to the Muto Dome show instead. If things go well for me (I'm a fat old man having mobility problems) I will go back for GW into the May Sumo.

Enjoy!

11 minutes ago, Red King said:

IWGP Womens title first champ

Hide contents

img_932886221c0e28b942fcf70a2fa1963e2685

She closed the show with Inoki's shout of 1, 2, 3, da!.

The IWGP Women's Championship is so better looking than the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship and the IWGP World Television Championship.

Spoiler

Glad I got to see Kairi Sane live the once with Asuka as the Kabuki Warriors, WWE Women's Tag Team Champions in November 2019.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Maybe Muto match on WK 17 for his last NJPW match. Or Dec, I dunno. Nothing is known yet. Wish the last match of Muto for NJPW is Tanahashi vs Muto for one more time. 

Part of me wonders if NJPW will change the IWGP World title to look closer to the first gen IWGP HW title. Just with added new elements.

• Like 1

F4wonline.com:

A second Wrestle Kingdom event has been announced.

NJPW announced Thursday morning that a second show will be held on January 21 at the Yokohama Arena.

“The Wrestle Kingdom 17 party will not be finished with the Tokyo Dome!” the company’s website reads. “After January 8 2022 saw a third night of Wrestle Kingdom sell out the Yokohama Arena, January 21 will see this special festival of an event for the second year. This year, NJPW and Pro-Wrestling NOAH collided on a card full of interpromotional battles. What does this special night have in store for 2023? Stay tuned for more information!”

• Like 1

Some random musings over the tag leagues, I guess I'll post them here as the tournaments are really just for WK build.

Spoiler

Both tournaments have been fun, especially with vocal crowds, but there hasn't been anything really to go out of the way to see, which generally is always the case with NJPW tag leagues. 

For the juniors, I really enjoyed Catch 22 vs YOH/Rush on night 1 the most...generally all of Catch 22's matches have been pretty good. Akira is growing on me, I couldn't stand him in All Japan. I don't ultimately think it matters who wins this tournament, as my gut feel is that it'll be a 4 way or something at WK for the Junior Tags anyway (Catch 22, YOH/Rush, BUSHI/Titan & probably Bey/Austin). I have a feeling there'll be some shuffling in the Junior division soon, looking at Chaos in particular with Robbie kinda being on the outs with Rush coming in (unless Robbie is gonna take the role of Chaos main singles junior and YOH/Rush tag). I sort of stopped watching NJPW strong, so I haven't seen much of Kevin Knight's growth...he's an athletic freak! 

I think for the heavies they kind of telegraphed the final so my interest is kinda low. Aussie Open's matches have generally been the highlight, with the matches against Bishamon and LiJ being the pick of the bunch. LiJ beating Aussie Open probably means Aussie Open gets revenge in the final and go on to face FTR at the Tokyo Dome, which is fine. Surprised that the Suzuki-Gun team has dropped as many results as they have, and TMDK have won as much as they have. 

This leads on to Tetsuya Naito...what does he do at WK? Surely there has to be some kind of end game here with how much focus has been on him getting to a featured spot at the Tokyo Dome, but what is it? Is it a match with Jake Lee as kind of teased a bit on the Dradition show recently? I saw someone probably on Twitter mention Nakamura, is that even possible? Someone from AEW? Mutoh (I guess the way around this would be that Muta wrestled his last NJPW match, not Mutoh)? Someone on the roster who doesn't have anything yet like Tanahashi or Umino? There are plenty of options, but also the card is already getting stacked...so just have to wait and see. 

• Like 3

I always thought the assumption was 

Spoiler

that Naito & SANADA win tag league and face FTR, as Aussie Open v. FTR has happened several times now.

They really are going into WK cold, though.

8 hours ago, Ace said:

I always thought the assumption was 

Reveal hidden contents

that Naito & SANADA win tag league and face FTR, as Aussie Open v. FTR has happened several times now.

They really are going into WK cold, though.

I've always felt it was going to be:

Spoiler

#FTR vs. Aussie Open.

Just waiting on match announcements for Hiroshi Tanahashi and Tetsuya Naito. Both deserve high profile matches particularly Tanahashi for all he's done for NJPW.

Edited by The Natural