DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

The Wild Geese isn't, technically, a good movie. I mean it is so bloated with stars, its pretty much like a British version of the Wild Bunch, you just take out the mercenary cowboys and replace them with British Commandos/Mercenaries and put the thing in Africa. It also might have the king of all downer endings. 

Speaking of overbloated with stars, Jackie Chan's worst American movie is like Citizen Kane compared to Island On Fire (which ironically re-enacts the end of The Wild Geese!)

James

Speaking of overbloated with stars, Jackie Chan's worst American movie is like Citizen Kane compared to Island On Fire

I dunno man, I agree that Island on Fire is bad, but The Spy Next Door (which I actually saw in the theatre) is pretty fucking awful. Billy Ray Cyrus and George Lopez were pretty much the shots that killed Jackie's US career.

That Mega Shark gif is a thing of beauty.

The guy says "Holy shit" but in my head, he is saying "What the shit" what makes it funnier to me for some reason.

I don't know if it is still popular or dated or anything, but Major Payne is easily the most quotable movie ever. If there were more characters like Major Benson Winifred Payne, more shit would get done.

Bottom line, we need more Bubba Hendershots and Major Paynes in this world.

• Like 4

Five minutes of The Room can produce more disbelief, surrealism and humor than many of these Syfy films put together. Truly bad movies come from spontaneity and natural ineptness, all the Asylum films can do is tick off a check list of cliches and act like if you pretend the movie is an instant camp classic, it instantly will be.  

That Sharktopus gif is good though, I'll give you that.

Over the Top is the best movie ever about a dad regaining the love and trust of his son by way of truckin' and arm wrestling.

I mean, when the motherfucker turns his hat, it's like a switch.

Over the Top is the best movie ever about a dad regaining the love and trust of his son by way of truckin' and arm wrestling.

I mean, when the motherfucker turns his hat, it's like a switch.

I drive trucks, break arms, and arm wrestle. It's what I love to do, it's what I do best.

When I was in fifth grade, I had a vivid and terrifying nightmare that I was on a space station and Jason had somehow gotten on board. Years later, when I saw the commercial for Jason X, I couldn't have benn more hyped because my dream was so scary it seemed literally impossible for them to fuck the movie up. It was.....not what I was expecting, let us say.

Depends on whether you mean you like it because it's stupid and trashy and fun or that you like it because you think it's actually a good movie.

Ummm ... the stupid, trashy fun option? (... scuttles back into hiding ...)

Actually, no, it's by no means a good film, but as a nice remix of the Jason series and sci-fi garbage, it ain't so bad. Creative kills, and perfect amounts of fine melted cheese. It's technically got the highest body count of any of the other films. It's definitely not the worst film of the series.

I remember one of those third tier horror magazines biting on the rumor that one of the Friday the 13th film installments would be Jason Vs. Jason X, and they speculated that it would pit the Freddy vs. Jason actor (Mears?) against Border's Jason X. I remember being jazzed for that. Then it became a two-ish comic miniseries, not a film. Womp womp.

Now, having tested the waters with that film, I'd like to dive a bit deeper ... I liked Hudson Hawk.

There is nothing wrong with liking Jason X for what it is, because it is wonderfully self aware that it is a complete parody.  From the "your horror franchise has jumped the shark if it suddenly takes place in outer space" trope to the "distract Jason on the holodeck with nude female campers" scene, you know that the movie does not take itself seriously.

If there is a "why is this horror franchise now set in space?" movie that is indefensible, it is the ridiculously horrible Hellraiser 4: Bloodline.  What a piece of shit.  Every Hellraiser movie after that one sucked, too, especially that dreck with the Kung-Fu Cowboy Cenobites.  What was that shit all about?

• Like 1