DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

Which hero has the best rogues gallery?  I won't venture an opinion, but I will ask some questions.

Who has the best lineup of top five villains?

Who has the deeper rogues gallery, if you compare the 16th through 20th best villains?

Who has more villains who could carry a miniseries or be part of a team such as Secret Six in which the hero does not appear?

Which hero has the best rogues gallery?  I won't venture an opinion, but I will ask some questions.

Who has the deeper rogues gallery, if you compare the 16th through 20th best villains?

Who has more villains who could carry a miniseries or be part of a team such as Secret Six in which the hero does not appear?

Batman for all.

• Like 2

First might actually be the Fantastic Four, because Doctor Doom is worth any five other villains, and Galactus is in there too. Their depth sucks though.

Second is Spidey.

Third is Batman.

I agree that Batman probably has the coolest, most interesting enemies. But you have to think that if most of Batman's villains were pitted up against another hero, they would be really ineffective. I mean, what is Killer Croc going to do against Superman?

I agree that Batman probably has the coolest, most interesting enemies. But you have to think that if most of Batman's villains were pitted up against another hero, they would be really ineffective. I mean, what is Killer Croc going to do against Superman?

That's why Supes is an incredibly lame hero, not a mark against the villain

On those questions, Bats win best 5 running away, more so sense Joker and Doom cancel each other out. 15-20 15-20 might be Spidey, but Bats kills him dead 1-15. Third is Bats by a country mile.

Wait, is someone actually arguing Spider-Man has a better rogues gallery then Batman? Because the fact we are already on the Lizard in the movies is a great example that it has no depth what so ever.

Batman has Joker, Two Face, Ra's, Penguin, Riddler, Bane, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Harley, Catwoman (more middle ground, but still), and even decently useful guys like Hush. A lot of villians in the lower class of Bats Rogues Gallery like Clayface would be above average in most others.

Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Kraven, Electro, Lizard, Kingpin, Vulture, Mysterio, Morbius, Sandman and that is off the top of my head.

Outside of the top 2, none of these make Bats top 10. And Kingpin is more of a general villian, not Spidey based.

I asked a non comic fan to name a Bats villain. They named 10. Then asked for a Spidey villain. They got 2.

Kingpin was a Spider-Man villain for years. 

I imagine a non comics fan could name more, considering how much more media exposure Batman has had over the years. Does not really mean much. 

Your top ten has Bane and Killer Croc, the villains I listed are better than both of them. 

Hell KGBeast is a better Batman villain than either of them. 

Anyway, Soul Men is more unknown than unpopular, but it's awesome. And Mac was on the cusp of something man, he totally killed Samuel L Jackson in this. Without spoiling too much, here's vintage Mac:

Soul Men is a weird one. The first twenty or so minutes was just superb stuff from Bernie and Sam. Hell, the scene you posted was from the first 10 or 15 minutes of the movie. The apartment scene was classic. It was when they got on the road where it fell apart for me because it turned into your average, formulaic estranged buddies getting back together flick except with a black twist. The first twenty minutes seem like it was done off-the-cuff and then the rest was scripted mess.

Another thing that was off about the movie was Affion Crockett's role. I like Affion but just not in this movie. This movie is partly the reason I was skeptical about him getting that show in primetime on Fox (which ultimately died a slow death). I know Affion has been around a LONG time so it's either take a shit or get off the pot for him. However, he would be best served as a featured player and not the lead guy. He can do celebrity impressions pretty fucking well, but his comedic timing is off when he does characters they come up for him. He ratchets it up about 30x too much here. They probably should have cast DeRay Davis (Affion's former Wild-N-Out castmate) in the role of the daughter's BF because DeRay is literally standup DeRay in EVERY movie. Even in something like 21 Jump Street where he was suppose to be a tough guy. He isn't very versatile, but he gets the job done because he has natural timing.

It was a pretty okay movie, but the first 20 minutes should have been the remaining hour of the movie.

Funny Farm, the best Chevy Chase movie of the '80's that didn't involve going on Vacation.

Have you not watched Fletch?
No I haven't. I did read the book for a high school English class though. Definitely liked the book.

TBH, I forgot that he did half the movies that Trocar listed. For some reason when I think of Chevy Chase and '80's movies it usually goes Modern Problems, Vacation, Funny Farm and all the others seem to have fallen through the cracks of my Swiss cheesed memory.

Funny Farm, the best Chevy Chase movie of the '80's that didn't involve going on Vacation.

Have you not watched Fletch?

No I haven't. I did read the book for a high school English class though. Definitely liked the book.

TBH, I forgot that he did half the movies that Trocar listed. For some reason when I think of Chevy Chase and '80's movies it usually goes Modern Problems, Vacation, Funny Farm and all the others seem to have fallen through the cracks of my Swiss cheesed memory.

Caddyshack was in the '80s (barely) and I hear some people like that movie.

EDIT: I sometimes like hijacking threads, but a cross-company rogues gallery pissing contest might be worthy of its own thread.

• Like 1

EDIT: I sometimes like hijacking threads, but a cross-company rogues gallery pissing contest might be worthy of its own thread.

True, the Spider-Man vs Batman talk is off-topic, especially as Spidey's never really  had a bad movie.

True, the Spider-Man vs Batman talk is off-topic, especially as Spidey's never really had a bad movie.

You're aware that Spider-man 3 really did happen and wasn't a collective fever dream, right?