DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

Two crime films nobody talks about, one really good and one kinda ehhhh that I love a lot: State of Grace and City of Industry. Those are both two late-night satellite catches I got that I absolutely adore. The former is legit amazing with a great psychotic Gary Oldman performance and perfect finale, City of Industry has Stephen Dorff being a scumbag and Harvey Keitel being himself. Lots of ludicrous plot twists but again a great shootout ending. It also has a really good performance from Famke Janssen. 

I love Tin Cup. My sister did ruin a part of it for me when she points out the many cuts back-and-forth in the scene where Don Johnson and Kevin Costner challenge each other to see who can drive a ball farther from the patio...Rene Russo has her hair parted differently every time the camera cuts back to her. It's very distracting.

Rookie of the Year is awesome.

Does anyone remember Little Big League? Was from right around the same time as Angels In the Outfield and Rookie of the Year.

The gist was the guy that owned the Minnesota Twins dies and leaves the team to his teenage grandson, who then names himself manager.

• Like 1

Two crime films nobody talks about, one really good and one kinda ehhhh that I love a lot: State of Grace and City of Industry. Those are both two late-night satellite catches I got that I absolutely adore. The former is legit amazing with a great psychotic Gary Oldman performance and perfect finale, City of Industry has Stephen Dorff being a scumbag and Harvey Keitel being himself. Lots of ludicrous plot twists but again a great shootout ending. It also has a really good performance from Famke Janssen. 

I second the love of Gary Oldman in State of Grace.

Night at the Roxbury

The majority of the SNL movies are absolutely awful, but Night at the Roxbury was actually pretty enjoyable. It's not as though it's Stuart Saves His Family or It's Pat or anything.

EMILIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

• Like 1

Mallrats, just sheer unadulterated fun.  So many great lines.  Helped to cement the awesomeness of the pop culture duo of Jay and Silent Bob.  I know there are more Kevin Smith detractors than fans on the board.  But Kevin Smith had his finger on the button of what this comic book loving kid enjoyed in his late teens and early 20's

• Like 1

Mallrats, just sheer unadulterated fun.  So many great lines.  Helped to cement the awesomeness of the pop culture duo of Jay and Silent Bob.  I know there are more Kevin Smith detractors than fans on the board.  But Kevin Smith had his finger on the button of what this comic book loving kid enjoyed in his late teens and early 20's

Plus it had Michael Rooker eating tainted chocolate pretzels. Instant classic.

I can't believe I forgot My Fellow Americans. James Garner was my HERO for a loooooong time after I first saw this. "Decaf, you pussy!"

Also, I'll throw in Watchmen. For all that they could have fucked up with the adaptation, I think they did a damn fine job. And Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach still stands in my head as the single most brilliant casting decision since Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman.

And while it's in my mind, is there anyone who didn't like Man on the Moon? The idea that those people might exist keeps me awake at night.

I can't believe I forgot My Fellow Americans. James Garner was my HERO for a loooooong time after I first saw this. "Decaf, you pussy!"

Also, I'll throw in Watchmen. For all that they could have fucked up with the adaptation, I think they did a damn fine job. And Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach still stands in my head as the single most brilliant casting decision since Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman.

And while it's in my mind, is there anyone who didn't like Man on the Moon? The idea that those people might exist keeps me awake at night.

Man on the Moon was pretty meh for me.  Watchmen was awesome though.  I have ZERO attachment to the graphic novel, and I think that helped me enjoy it more.

Halloween III is my favorite of the series, even though about 3/4 of it is unwatchable.  Part of that is because it expertly pushed a few  of my childhood nightmare buttons (for some reason, I occasionally got super scared of deadly consumer products and events--Tim Burton's BATMAN came out just as I was getting too old to really worry about that kind of shit or I would have never gone to a parade again) and part is just because it's so bizarre and baffling.

And I think Rocketeer/Shadow/Phantom are all definitely of a piece, with Sky Captain maybe on the fringes.  Retro action stories that are maybe TOO retro, or retro in the wrong way (Raiders of the Lost Ark being an example of a movie that tries some of the same period-piece buttons but found a lot more commercial success).

Funny Farm, the best Chevy Chase movie of the '80's that didn't involve going on Vacation.

Have you not watched Fletch?

Non-Vacation Chevy Chase movies from the 80s, I'd have Fletch, Fletch Lives, Caddyshack (maybe not a Chevy Chase movie), Seems Like Old Times, Spies Like Us and Three Amigos ahead of Funny Farm.  But that isn't a slight on Funny Farm, that's just a compliment on Chevy Chase's output back in the day.

Don't think Dark City is regarded as bad by anyone or anything, but it's not as popular as it should be. It's still the best-looking film I've ever seen by far.

God, I love that movie. So sad that no-one has ever heard of it.

I think Dark City may have hindered by not having any A list names. I like Rufus Sewell, but, really, what had done before it? Keifer Sutherland and Jennifer Connolly were known, sure, but neither were major stars at that point.

I have a deep and abiding love for Under Siege 2, mostly for Eric Bogosian giving one of the all-time great 'just cashing a check' performances.  Plus Clarence Boddicker and Mike Ehrmantraut in small roles.

A short story: I worked in a movie theater all through high school.  When they remodeled they installed TVs above the concession stand to show trailers in the lobby.  For about six months corporate sent us new tapes of trailers before they kind of lost interest in the whole deal.  So we ended up replaying the same tape of trailers every hour for about 18 months.  Nestled among the garbage (Sour Grapes! Jane Austen's Mafia!) was the trailer for Bring it On.  So that movie will always have a special place burrowed out in my brain, and not just for Kirsten Dunst in her underwear.

I'm a David Spade apologist so I still enjoy both Black Sheep and Lost and Found.

Black Sheep is alright. It's basically Tommy Boy and it makes you wonder why they just didn't make Tommy Boy 2, but it's good. Was Black Sheep the one where they get pulled over and they start running outside the car screaming about bees?