DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

For me the answer is Biker Boyz.  Laurence Fishburne as the aging biker, dealing w/ the spiteful young kid, Derek Luke, and Kid Rick as the Dawg!  I don't know why, but I will watch this movie every time it's on.

Salli Richardson never really did it for me as a younger dude, but older black guys love her. She always struck me as a love interest directors would get in the 90s if they couldn't afford Halle, Angela Bassett, Lynn Whitfield, or Robin Givens. Now hardcore butch Salli Richardson in the twilight of her career did it for me here. Anyway, it wasn't that bad of a movie.

I find myself defending The Blair Witch Project a lot. I think it's a classic, truly terrifying movie and so far superior to the recent batch of Found Footage films it's not even funny, but so many people just dismiss it as over-hyped and not scary. 

Return to Oz is a truly fantastic movie that doesn't get the praise it deserves.

Tank Girl is a pretty fun little flick. Could have been better, sure, but I don't get how it's supposed to be a disaster.  I'd genuinely rather watch this than something like Wolverine or any other generic superhero film.

I find myself defending The Blair Witch Project a lot. I think it's a classic, truly terrifying movie and so far superior to the recent batch of Found Footage films it's not even funny, but so many people just dismiss it as over-hyped and not scary. 

Return to Oz is a truly fantastic movie that doesn't get the praise it deserves.

Tank Girl is a pretty fun little flick. Could have been better, sure, but I don't get how it's supposed to be a disaster.   

I saw Blair Witch way later than I wanted to, and I felt like it was terrible until the end.

The end justified everything though, god damn.

Blair Witch is a lot like Ringu in that it's more about building the tension and watching everyone go crazy with the pressure before the big pay off at the end. Both films understand how important the feeling of dread is, which is different from most horror films these days that have a jump-scare every five minutes or so.

Also, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was pretty hated when it came out, but I think it's a really great.

Starship Troopers, Vision Quest, and Battleship will always get defenses from me.  

I'll even defend the Matrix Movies, even the parts after the Archetech scene shoves the series head up its own ass.

I'm a huge fan of Eight Crazy Nights. It generally gets written off as another piece of crap from Adam Sandler, but I think its the best thing hes ever done. The movie takes Sandler's idiot manchild character and shows us what would happen to him in the real world without any rich parents or secret sports talents: he's an antisocial loser living in a trailer. It also gives us a reason for his idiot manchild behavior for once which ends up being surprisingly poignant, and it all leads to a truly touching conclusion. And yes, the humor is typically sophomoric, but I like sophomoric humor as long as its funny, and I thought this film had more hits than misses.

• Like 1

Heh, I thought Salli Richardson was smoking in The Great White Hype.  Speaking of which, that's one that gets no love, but it's one of my favorites.  I'll also throw in Cadence, Die Hard With a Vengeance and District 9(I'm offended by the number of people who shit on this film) into my list.

Starship Troopers was pre-Wild Things, yeah?  Denise Richards was hardly a star yet.

Heh, I thought Salli Richardson was smoking in The Great White Hype.  Speaking of which, that's one that gets no love, but it's one of my favorites. 

That and when she had a sex scene with Malik Yoba in that one episode of New York Undercover. Those are two acceptable answers that I omitted.

But yeah, Great White Hype was good.

"Oh, I'm in shape. I'm round."

• Like 1

Don't think Dark City is regarded as bad by anyone or anything, but it's not as popular as it should be. It's still the best-looking film I've ever seen by far.

Also,William Freidkin's Jade. I think this is genuinely unnerving, well shot film. But all the critics treated it like is a disaster and it's credited with ruining Caruso's film career in the '90s.

Drop Dead Gorgeous is really terrific too. One of the few things I've liked Kristen Dunst in (she's way better at comedy than drama.)

And I personally think Sleepy Hollow is Tim Burton's best or second best film.

• Like 1

I'll third the love for GREAT WHITE HYPE and second for WITH A VENGEANCE. I am also in the camp that thinks BLAIR WITCH is boring until the end, but I will concede that my opinion may be different if I had seen it on the big screen.

Speaking of BLAIR WITCH, I've expressed my love for BW2 a few times.

One thing I never understood was the critics, reviewers, and writers saying that Harlem Nights (and to the lesser extent Boomerang) was the first sign that Eddie Murphy's career was going down. I think that goes to Another 48 Hrs. It definitely went to hell with A Distinguished Gentleman. While I was never a big fan of Boomerang outside of Eartha Kitt being outrageous ("Marcus, I'm not wearing any PANTEEES!"), I can remember every scene in Harlem Nights. You can make that argument that he wanted a vehicle for his friends (Arsenio and Miguel Nunez Jr) and Pryor was already sick, but that's what makes me appreciate the movie. Arsenio and Nunez were great in their bit parts. And I think the world was beyond tired of Richard Pryor, probably the greatest standup ever, being in movies where he plays a wacky bus driver/mover and saves his kids/some orphans while doing wacky hijinks going cross country. If anything, Richard's career in film in the 80s ironically was where Eddie's career was headed ten years later. Harlem Nights was the last bit of greatness from Pryor and Redd Foxx, the two reasons why we had Eddie Murphy in the first place. Nowadays if some young hotshot director or young actor wants to recruit Al Pacino and De Niro, it's just downright sad and pathetic. Especially when they're acting from screenplays written by hacks who are best known for doing cookie cutter xXx style, nu-metal action flicks. At least Harlem Nights was in the most natural voice for two of the biggest pioneers in comedy instead some kid and teen audience pandering dialogue.

• Like 5

The Seagal AMC marathon a couple weeks ago made it very clear that he hated people having use of their arms. Like really, really hated that. Plus, Tommy Lee Jones and his bad hairpiece (?) chewed up so much scenery in Under Siege. It was fucking brilliant.

In Out for Justice, Seagal uses a butcher knife to stick a dude's hand to the wall with it after taking it out another baddie's leg. And the poor hand-to-wall guy screams in agony the rest of said ass kicking scene. You can't even write shit like that anymore.

• Like 3

Don't think Dark City is regarded as bad by anyone or anything, but it's not as popular as it should be. It's still the best-looking film I've ever seen by far.

Roger Ebert always pimped Dark City. It just never got the attention it deserved. If it had come out a couple years later it would've done a lot better.