DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 8/19/2022

The Natural

Yeah, Claudio-Dustin was something I didn’t know I wanted until it’s happening. Nice backstory. I also ended up looking up to see if Dustin wrestled Steamboat only to learn they were a surprise tag-team who won the WCW World Tag Team titles, which sort of goes against his narrative but hey it’ll still be a good stiff match.

SitG and Private Party was fun, good storyline, we had some screams, we had a huge yeet , Quen sold the pounce like he got hit with a goddamn wrecking ball, Swerve’s finisher was NASTY and I liked the respect (at least from Lee) at the end.

All that build for a 5 second squash was a letdown on the Hook match, but 2.0 will make that better.

Buddy-Serpentico was a decent Dark squash.

Britt’s extensions looked like they were meant for horses. She’s wearing on me. Rebel is stealing money.

Athena-Ford, on the other hand, was maybe a little more competitive than it should have been given the circumstances. Athena is fun though, moves and personality in the ring. And did y’all note how dead the crowd was for Jade? Was it because the sledgehammer is the dumbest fucking thing in wrestling and associated so heavily with HHH? Are people tired of her and the baddies? Just a long night?

Main was fun, as expected. I talked shit on Boudreaux’s look and don’t regret it, but he has some skills. Slim J took a bit of an ass-beating. A story was told. Great finisher. 

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I'm late!  My daughter is GETTING MARRIED TOMORROW MORNING!  PARTY!  So I had to do wedding things.  Then I had to take a shower so I AM SQUEAKY CLEAN!  But then I had to watch a pretty good episode of Smackdown and NOW I'm ready for some AEW!  Well, I know what Schneider's match of the week for AEW will be a week from Monday.  Claudio vs Dustin should be great.  Isaiah Kassidy counters the Keith Lee Beel!  Kassidy looks great in this match.  While we are in picture in picture, Shane Strickland assume the role of our face in peril.   Kassidy screams like a little girl while taking an ENORMOUS Belly to Belly by Keith Lee!  GREATEST KEITH LEE BEEL EVER!  GREAT fucking Lariat.  Private Party is making Keith Lee look like a fucking psychotic rhinoceros.  Private Party are fucking awesome bumping like complete lunatics for Lee.  Great finisher by Strickland.  That was a Modified Cinnabomb.  That was fucking great.  I don't know how they wrangled Powerhouse Hobbs into interacting with the Factory, but here we are.  Daddy Magic versus Hook is the match we didn't know we needed.  Awesome!  Buddy Matthews!  Julia looks SLATTERNLY with her hair all Goth Crimped!  SERPENTICO!  Buddy Matthews is fucking awesome.  AWESOME!  MIRO!  AWEWSOME!  MIRO vs MATTHEWS!  Matthews leans into a fucking HIDEOUS kick to the teeth.  So I guess CJ is coming in.  Penelope Ford!  How will she take Athena's finisher?  Athena is prolly the best wrestler on the roster.  Penelope looks great in this.  Athena is SLIGHTLY better than Toni Storm at make her opponent look great.  Athena carrying Jade Cargill will be good.  Athena versus Toni Storm for the title will be fucking AWESOME.  Athena is so fucking good in picture in picture.  JESUS!  I see that SUWA Dropkick on the floor is an on-going affair.  WHOA! Penelope Ford takes Athena's finisher better than ANYBODY!  That was fucking great.  I guess Leila Grey is an official Baddie now.  OH NO!  NOT THE ANGEL WINGS!  The face turn by Jade Cargill is delayed a while it appears.  Fun!  Hey, it's JANE!  Well, THIS is fun.  Parker Boudreaux looks fucking great in this. Okay, the Trustbusters are the Best Possible Wingmen.  Trent is awesome making them look like Los Destructores of the AEW.  Slim J is fucking great on heel offense, raking the eyes and being a weasel.  Okay, Slim J versus Orange Cassidy is the match I NEED- good guy burner versus sleazier burner.  So Parker Boudreaux is really good.  Yeah, Slim J versus Orange Cassidy is soo the way to go.  This match is fucking great.  Add Danhausen and Sonny Kiss and let's have an eight man.  This needs to be a feud.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

CONGRATULATIONS~!  It feels like only yesterday, well.. yesterday twelve years ago, when your daughters were braiding my daughter's hair while the MEN were partaking of the Japanese Indy Sleeze from the GIGANTIC BOX O' TAPES~! at Nerdfest #2.

I was sorta hoping that Penelope Ford would enjoy a winning streak of more than one match, but her traditional role is to mind the gateway and get pinned by whomever is chasing one of the women's titles.  Athena vs. Jade really needs to happen soon.  I'm getting tired of waiting.

Main event was kinda awesome.  At least one of the seminal favorites will make it to the quarter finals of the Trios championship.  Maybe the bookers will surprise us and somehow Dark Order will get past House of Black since Adam Page is in the corner of the Order?  We shall have to wait and see, but I don't like their chances.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Zack Clayton ? I had such high hopes. While not quite as short as this, I was reminded of Taz choking out Paul Varelans back in the day. Hopefully, Zack can bounce back one day.

Fun fast paced hour of action otherwise. I always pop for getting the "stand by match" to take place. Where's The Pagans!?!

Penelope looked good. Nice trios main event. As others have said, Slim J shined throughout. His reaction to getting Cursed! was hilarious.

Glad to see we get even more KiLynn King next week

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

That was basically Special K's gimmick in ROH 20 years ago.

I thought it was the Miz's gimmick.

Although he wasn't full-time, Jody Fleisch probably had the highest profile ROH match of the Special K guys (maybe Hydro vs Punk excepted). He's still going...semi-reg at Progress...well I think he's out right now after successful Achilles tendon surgery but I don't think he's quitting. He wrestled Tajiri earlier this year. I'll have to check some out...he looks grumpy...I hope he wrestles grumpy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

Yeah, Claudio-Dustin was something I didn’t know I wanted until it’s happening. Nice backstory. I also ended up looking up to see if Dustin wrestled Steamboat only to learn they were a surprise tag-team who won the WCW World Tag Team titles, which sort of goes against his narrative but hey it’ll still be a good stiff match.

Yeah around the time the Dangerous Alliance was the big threat IIRC. They had some good matches with Anderson and Eaton, and had some good matches with Anderson while Zbyszko stood on the apron.

13 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

The Trustbusters rule. 

Yeah they've been winning me over even though Boudreaux is green as grass and has some of the shittiest tattoos I have ever seen.

• Like 1

That ridiculous finisher made me lol, so fair play to them. 

I think Slim J should probably just call himself something else, I'm not sure about Gladiator Jeremiah but I think 2.0's new names did help them.

I do dig the Jane's Addiction tribute music. They've got their wings and they're going to fly right into the sun!

Poor Athena otoh......will she take these broken wings and learn to fly again?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JLowe said:

SitG and Private Party was fun, good storyline, we had some screams, we had a huge yeet , Quen sold the pounce like he got hit with a goddamn wrecking ball, Swerve’s finisher was NASTY and I liked the respect (at least from Lee) at the end.

All that build for a 5 second squash was a letdown on the Hook match, but 2.0 will make that better.

Buddy-Serpentico was a decent Dark squash.

Britt’s extensions looked like they were meant for horses. She’s wearing on me. Rebel is stealing money.

Athena-Ford, on the other hand, was maybe a little more competitive than it should have been given the circumstances. Athena is fun though, moves and personality in the ring. And did y’all note how dead the crowd was for Jade? Was it because the sledgehammer is the dumbest fucking thing in wrestling and associated so heavily with HHH? Are people tired of her and the baddies? Just a long night?

Main was fun, as expected. I talked shit on Boudreaux’s look and don’t regret it, but he has some skills. Slim J took a bit of an ass-beating. A story was told. Great finisher. 

Steamboat and Dustin wrestled each other in the finals of the vacant US-title in early '93. Dustin won the match and hence the title via count out. It was on an episode of WCW Saturday Night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elizium said:

Parker needs to realize that he’s allowed to work out more than just his traps 

Shrugs are the kind of move you can still execute properly even if you are very fatigued or don't feel like training much. So I guess every time he's like "Man, I really don't feel like working out, but I can't skip it" the first thought that comes to his mind after that is "I guess it's shrugs til you puke time again!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right on, the 'decline of AEW' continues next week with Claudio-Dustin! Ruby/Ortiz v Sammy/Tay, sure! Keith Lee fucking rules. Fun showcase here against the Privates. Please, for the love of all Gods, get Quen and Cassidy on some Japanese tours so they can have the bright future I want to believe in. I liked the sudden if slightly awkward finish here from the fantastic Swerve. The Factory is here! I hate these dumb promo interruption set-ups. Give me some semblance of reality, don't be lazy TK. I like a Hook squash, but I wouldn't have minded a couple 'plexes prior. Daddy Magic! Cool Hand! Perpetually fucking love these guys. Reminds me that I need to see Elevation from this past week with Dad Mag on the play by play. Nice Buddy squash and confrontation with Miro. Baker promo wasn't up to her standard, but Rebel did her best. Athena rules. Penelope looked really good in defeat here. Post match beatdown was a bit underwhelming. Kiera's footwear seemed to be at odds with her job here, and I am solidly not sold on Green Grass Leyla. It'll be interesting to see if Athena can carry Big ol Greenhorne Jade to a good match? Love it if they made the title switch and let a truly ready for in-ring on national TV wrestler who can have consistently good TV matches carry the belt and load. I love Jade, but somebody needs to clue into the fact that getting her crucially needed experience is what's clearly required for her to be the true top star she can and should be. Nice to see the Trustbusters suddenly peeking their heads out the otherside of the classic IWC early burial/eventual love. Slim J is clearly fucking awesome! Ari Davari is looking better and better. Even the Parker Boudreaux hate seems to be subsiding slightly with this bout. I suspect a few more weeks of mild attacks on his experience level and presentation before he gets the flat out love. Month tops. Rarely a perfect show, but (I can't remember any reason not to say) 'Always' a fun show. AEW batting average is far higher than any promotion I can remember in at least 21 years. AEfuckingDUB!

• Like 6

To be clear, I enjoyed the Trustbusters match but their role is JTTS who main event YouTube and occasionally get heated up to put someone over on TV.

Edited by JLowe

Not a lot of thoughts but I thought it was a really fun hour of wrestling, as always, that the Trustbusters bring a lot of interesting variation to the table, that I'm curious where Private Party go next, that Athena and Penelope had great chemistry (But maybe Athena always has great chemistry with everyone?), that I want to see an annoying 40 second closing section of Matthews and Swerve trying to hit their finishes on each other, that I absolutely can't wait for Cesaro vs Dustin.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JLowe said:

Have you never seen that match? It's like the best WCW ever. Arn's reaction!

Here, watch this:

Spoiler

• Thanks 4