DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Storm has been using the Mickie James finish for a few weeks: I am guessing some women were struggling to take the snap piledriver (aka Storm Zero '22), so she just went with something pretty much anyone can take - I'm guessing people don't like taking the Storm One aka Ruby Cutter either.

Bring back the tiger driver

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

It didn't look very impactful imo, that's why she stopped using it I think. Tyler Bate's generally looks better but even that's a struggle to really buy as a finish in 2022.

Neither does a butterfly suplex but whatevs

good enough for Misawa

2 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Neither does a butterfly suplex but whatevs

good enough for Misawa

I am inferring that's a dig at the Paradigm Shift aka Death Rider...and yeah, some of those have been overprotective of his opponent but tbh it's no longer an one-shot kill anyway.

Kazarian posted that tweet about keeping his mouth shut, but I'm excited to hear Taz try to stay laser focused on either matches or the apartment complex where Super Strong Suplex Machine lives with Excalibur, because he is more or less incapable of not commenting on crap when it is in the air during the twelfth Private Party squash he's had to commentate on this year.

Edit: Nevermind, Dark was taped before Rampage this week.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

What is the end game with Sting and Darby? They keep winning. 

There isn't an endgame for either of them, and it's actually one of AEW's best bits long-term booking. There are no immediate plans for Darby, but having him do a lot of the heavy lifting in Sting's special attraction work is a great way to keep him warm until he's ready for another big singles program.

Overall, I have to agree that this was AEW's worst ppv since the exploding barbed wire deathmatch. Eddie and Ishii doing a dollar-store Kobashi/Sasaki ripoff was reasonably entertaining, the trios finals was good even if there missed opportunities abound, and the tag title match was great. SIOG is a great team, and even better as heels. Very weird to see people zeroing in on this match as the worst booking of the night, when it was actually the best and represents the best of AEW. This was the Acclaimed's "close but not quite" moment against 2 much higher-ranked guys where they were elevated in defeat. Circle back around with them in 6-9 months and you get your special payoff with build, the way wrestling ought to be.

The rest of the show was thoroughly mediocre with a lot of the wrong people going over and an underwhelming payoff to the MJF angle. The clown show afterwards whether kayfabe or not reads like a chapter in the future "downfall of AEW" book. I don't understand how this is supposed to draw new fans or attract top free agents.

• Like 2

Just now, Dog said:

Are they taping anything before Wednesday?

Or does commentary get added very late in the process?

Anecdotally, Elevation seems like it gets commentary while the show is going on.

Studio Dark tends to get commentary after the weekend is over? You get much more hype for specific things announced on Rampage or after for Dynamite.

I think this one was actually taped before Rampage though, so you're right, we're not going to get anything fun tonight.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

There isn't an endgame for either of them, and it's actually one of AEW's best bits long-term booking. There are no immediate plans for Darby, but having him do a lot of the heavy lifting in Sting's special attraction work is a great way to keep him warm until he's ready for another big singles program.

Overall, I have to agree that this was AEW's worst ppv since the exploding barbed wire deathmatch. Eddie and Ishii doing a dollar-store Kobashi/Sasaki ripoff was reasonably entertaining, the trios finals was good even if there missed opportunities abound, and the tag title match was great. SIOG is a great team, and even better as heels. Very weird to see people zeroing in on this match as the worst booking of the night, when it was actually the best and represents the best of AEW. This was the Acclaimed's "close but not quite" moment against 2 much higher-ranked guys where they were elevated in defeat. Circle back around with them in 6-9 months and you get your special payoff with build, the way wrestling ought to be.

The rest of the show was thoroughly mediocre with a lot of the wrong people going over and an underwhelming payoff to the MJF angle. The clown show afterwards whether kayfabe or not reads like a chapter in the future "downfall of AEW" book. I don't understand how this is supposed to draw new fans or attract top free agents.

I think they are a good working act. IMHO there doesn't need to be an end game for the duo right now, until like it gets to the point where it's time for Sting to actually hang it up. I would hope Darby comes out of it for the better and will do OK once he is on his own again. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Log said:

If they fire Punk or anyone else involved in this, it’s going to look pretty hypocritical to still have Jungle Boy on the roster. 

For ... calling Christian a pussy? I'm lost.

• Like 1

For real, can you imagine trying to explain this to someone who had no clue about how pro wrestling works.

“Yeah, they’re probably going fire these dudes for getting in a fight backstage after the show.” 

“Doesn’t that happen every week? Hell, didn’t a guy try to hit another guy with his car?”

”Well, yeah, but one of the guys also said some really mean shit about the other guys.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3