DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

22 minutes ago, Jiji said:

"Fightful heard back from Hoffman Estates Police Department, who said "Hoffman States Police Department does not have any police reports, nor any documentation that police were requested, during AEW All Out event for anything that allegedly occurred backstage. The only police response at the event was regarding a family issue in the audience."

Dog the Bounty Hunter back in play ?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Nothing in that screams Punk is going to be let go. If anything, this still sounds like the dumb as fuck "wrestling journalism" that is fanboys chasing their tails, clout chasing, or trying to type the most interesting wordz to get more attention than someone else. 

Also, no part of me thinks this is a work. If I were to guess, Steel gets released because he fucking bit someone and threw a chair at someone else and he's not even a worker there. Punk, the Bucks, and maybe even Kenny get pulled into a meeting with TK and maybe Jericho too where they're told enough is fucking enough and this bullshit isn't going to happen again. Top wrestlers having been throwing hands at each other for what feels like forever now. Having Jericho be in the meeting would just be for funny irony purposes considering the amount of other wrestlers he's fought over the years. No suspensions, just a final warning that this bullshit can't continue. Punk gets told to never to go off on that in a scrum ever again and if he wants to talk about that shit then do it on his own time. The Bucks get told to stop doing their cutesy bullshit in BTE to not fan the flames.

Everyone needs to get over the "but but but but he got into a fight with his bosses!" Nick and Matt aren't his bosses. The EVP designation is fucking meaningless. TK probably regrets the designation at this point. 

Kind of hard to believe the start of paragraph two there if you believe that paragraph one is true (which I think is very accurate, particular SRS, who may as well have a degree in shit stirring at this point). If Steel did a tenth of what is being "reported", police would have actually been called in. Now, I'll cop that something likely happened backstage after Punk's media scrum (though I sure wouldn't want to bet my life on it), but I'd guess it was much more to level of bench clearing brawl in baseball where there is little actual violence, and not the salacious street fight that the gossip sites have been peddling.

Edited by Big Z
Grammar

How do you not take any action after you suspended Kingston for pie facing Guevara recently? Yeah, you got to fill Arthur Ashe but that would be brutal. Punk already showed zero respect for his employer for putting him in an incredibly awkward situation. If Khan asks him to move on, you think worked up Punk listens? If Khan shuts the scrum down you don't think Punk would just keep ranting off stream to the journalists? 

Sapp, Meltzer, and Alvarez have all denied Elite guys leaking the Cabana rumours to them specifically and I believe Sapp was the one that broke that story. Maybe they were the ones that threw it out there among talent but they didn't leak it to those three. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

The "legal stuff" is interesting. Who knows WTF that means but it feels like they're going over contracts about firing people for these types of things and whether or not they have to pay someone or how much someone wants to get paid to walk away. Or a disorganized mess of a wrestling company might have poorly drafted contracts believing their own sh*t that they would always run a company like family. 

• Like 1

Now I really wish Ray Traylor was still alive; imagine Dynamite opening with all involved parties being called to the ring, and then Tony K. announces to them all that "starting now, there's going to be some Law and Order around AEW!", whereupon "Hard Times" (which has amazingly somehow been licensed to AEW) begins playing on the PA, and Old Man Traylor comes out in the original Big Bossman outfit and begins clubbering everyone in the ring into unconsciousness with his nightstick. Cutler tries macing him with his cold air cannister, but Bossman does that crescent/wheel-kick thingie move and knocks it out of his hand.

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Off-shift police acting as security but still wearing a cop uniform is pretty standard at public events. 

Privately commissioned police offers wearing state uniform at a private security detail engagement? What? I'll need some real examples of that please  

Police department have said there was no issue. Obviously bringing the State police as accomplices into the work was a step too far ?

Edited by A_K

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The "legal stuff" is interesting. Who knows WTF that means but it feels like they're going over contracts about firing people for these types of things and whether or not they have to pay someone or how much someone wants to get paid to walk away. Or a disorganized mess of a wrestling company might have poorly drafted contracts believing their own sh*t that they would always run a company like family. 

Oh shit, this idea of tightening up controls with wrestler contracts and disciplinary actions is Jeff Jarrett's "in" to AEW management isn't it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don’t think any of this is a work, for the record (all the Cody drama has disabused me of any belief other than the dumbest answer is usually the right one), BUT IF IT WERE I don’t buy the knock that “it doesn’t make any sense because it doesn’t further the story of MJF - Punk and instead functions as a distraction.”

IF IT WERE A WORK (which, as just a lowly fan over here, I think would be a bad idea), a “backstage altercation” between MJF and Punk would be too obvious. Instead, you further the already bubbling tension around Punk and Hangman/The Elite which already exists in a mostly online rumor space. You keep your MJF/Punk story on TV and then have an increasingly heelish Punk working all the backstage stuff to eventually set up a payoff with Kenny or Page down the road with added heat because “we all know how much they hate each other” and “CM Punk is a locker room cancer and a selfish prick.” 

Essentially, you’re running two parallel stories for everyone at all times. The backstage stuff is its own universe, bolstered by the dirt sheets and message boards and internet content that wouldn’t make sense on TV and executives would see no value in. It doesn’t overshadow what’s on TV, it augments it and manipulates the audience into thinking they are cheering or booing people based on “the truth” of who a performer is, while actually playing into an expertly woven storyline.Everyone’s always working and kayfabe is back, baby!

Of course, none of that is actually happening, and at this point it all becomes dumb 4-dimensional chess that I don’t think benefits anyone and isn’t what I’m looking for from wrestling, exactly. But it would be an overdue attempt for a company to try and fully embrace the now near-total onlineness of all wrestling fans and be able to generate real heat in a promotion where fans love to cheer anyone with a high enough workrate.

Again, I think this is all stupid and too complicated to ever work, but I could see some nerds who were really invested in Wrestling As Carny Art giving it a shot.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, A_K said:

Meltzer says he saw a policeman. So someone is telling porkies ?

A whole lot of them are likely being told now, though I'm Team Meltz among any of them just cause he actually knows the history of wrestling and tries to have a pulse on the current product (but will grant that he's not exactly Walter Cronkite these days with actual news reporting). However, they are all trying to outdo each other to gain subs and clout, and will say or write anything in that quest (though that's hardly unique for any kind of media these days).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Now I really wish Ray Traylor was still alive; imagine Dynamite opening with all involved parties being called to the ring, and then Tony K. announces to them all that "starting now, there's going to be some Law and Order around AEW!", whereupon "Hard Times" (which has amazingly somehow been licensed to AEW) begins playing on the PA, and Old Man Traylor comes out in the original Big Bossman outfit and begins clubbering everyone in the ring into unconsciousness with his nightstick. Cutler tries macing him with his cold air cannister, but Bossman does that crescent/wheel-kick thingie move and knocks it out of his hand.

All I want is Ace Steel dressed up like The Disciple, and Neal Pruitt to add in his voiceovers on "Cult of Personality". "CM Punk...the biggest icon in wrestling". 

3 minutes ago, Big Z said:

A whole lot of them are likely being told now, though I'm Team Meltz among any of them just cause he actually knows the history of wrestling and tries to have a pulse on the current product (but will grant that he's not exactly Walter Cronkite these days with actual news reporting). However, they are all trying to outdo each other to gain subs and clout, and will say or write anything in that quest (though that's hardly unique for any kind of media these days).

Bingo sir.

AEW should bring in Vince Russo to oversee creative and he could run his dream of an entire wrestling promotion without a ring and everything taking place backstage.

"Ok bro, when Kenny comes at you, you bite him. Now, Punk is there any chance your wife is also your sister because I got an idea..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, A_K said:

Privately commissioned police offers wearing state uniform at a private security detail engagement? What? I'll need some real examples of that please  

Police department have said there was no issue. Obviously bringing the State police as accomplices into the work was a step too far ?

You can literally see the dude Dave was talking about on camera running off during the Swerve/Lee segment of the scrum

6 hours ago, madl said:

He is also 20 years older.  I don’t know the guy personally, but most of us grow up and react to situations very differently after we get a few decades of adulthood under our belt, have kids of our own, etc.  I don’t know why people think Trips is the exception to that.  

Because he beat RVD and Goldberg 20 years ago so he's a "bad guy" forever..

• Like 1

At this point the "best case" scenario is that everyone calms downs, offers apologies, doesn't press charges, works things out like adults, and decides that they can do business and they make some big angle out of very dire real life things. And I don't think any of them need the money enough for it, but there's that carny spirit of redirecting truth into artifice that motivated the Andy Kaufmans of the world to understand and embrace the sheer wonder of pro wrestling. It's just that Punk is driven more by spite than by bs carny glory.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Did anybody not picture Brandon Cutler trying to defuse the situation by capering around ineffectually in a zubaz jumpsuit spraying deep freeze in the air wildly

And then there's this.

• Haha 12

25 minutes ago, A_K said:

My father was a cop for 24 years.  Him, and a lot of others, worked security off-duty at an apartment complex that paid them.  They did it in their city police uniforms, off-duty.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

My father was a cop for 24 years.  Him, and a lot of others, worked security off-duty at an apartment complex that paid them.  They did it in their city police uniforms, off-duty.  

This is VERY common for police officers to do.  Can also confirm.

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Thank him for his service. Police department will be issuing warnings then any day now if law enforcement was in attendance as a witness  ?

Edited by A_K