DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I wasn't a fan of the voicemail thing in MJF's intro, but it did have one good thing about it, IMO.  At least it established that MJF works for AEW.  It's not another "outside" group trying to "take over" a promotion (hopefully). That's a good start.

• Like 3

So, if it’s a work, I don’t get the payoff at all. It will, inevitably, because this is the wrestling business, have to be a match of some sort, at which point you are back into the “everything else you’ve seen on this show is a work but THIS is real” issue with worked shoots.

Like…what, are Hangman and Punk gonna fight “for real”? Is TK the on screen character-but-shoot-owner-because-this-is-shoot gonna fire Punk on TV? GTFO of here with all this stupid shit.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

Why does this shit always happen after All Out? I mean the last time an AEW PPV thread had this much discussion was after Matt Hardy accidentally went splat during that Sammy match, right? And it's always for the wrong reasons, too!

...Oh, the MJF stuff probably had plenty of chatter too, so it's not just All Out, after all.

Edited by Shartnado
No, wait...
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Why does this shit always happen after All Out? I mean the last time an AEW PPV thread had this much discussion was after Matt Hardy accidentally went splat during that Sammy match, right? And it's always for the wrong reasons, too!

...Oh, the MJF stuff probably had plenty of chatter too, so it's not just All Out, after all.

That's one of the few times AEW really pissed me off. I was so pissed off I nearly turned AEW All Out 2020 off. Still the worst AEW PPV. This night be unpopular but I'd have this edition in the bottom tier also.

Hate to say it, but Meltzer's convinced me it's not a work. Says there's legal shit involved now, and no one's talking. 

EDIT: And it sounded to me like "if Ace is punished, Punk walks" was TOTAL Dave speculation. 

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Put the AEW World Championship on Bryan Danielson as he should have in the first fucking place.

At which point do they figure out that maybe, just maybe put the title on a dependable (OK, injury prone, but hey), not a head-case guy who is a well known star and can deliver in the ring against pretty much everyone? I mean enough time has passed that it's not a "they put the top belt on an ex-WWE guy straight away"-deal! Maybe there is a lesson to be learned here, idk?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

At which point do they figure out that maybe, just maybe put the title on a dependable (OK, injury prone, but hey), not a head-case guy who is a well known star and can deliver in the ring against pretty much everyone? I mean enough time has passed that it's not a "they put the top belt on an ex-WWE guy straight away"-deal! Maybe there is a lesson to be learned here, idk?

I agree. They never should've taken the belt off of Jon Moxley on Sunday.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If I'm supposed to believe that none of this is a work, releasing that Being the Elite today did not convince me.

I'll listen to Meltzer for 15 mins sped up but i've got some limits here. What was the deal there?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I'll listen to Meltzer for 15 mins sped up but i've got some limits here. What was the deal there?

I've never watched BTE in my life. But just did a quick watch (I fell for the trap) - they don't touch on any of the drama unless I'm mistaken. They give the Dark Order their sneakers as a post-match present and no one knows where Hangman is.

• Like 1

Bobby Fish has issued an "invitation" to CM Punk for a fight. 

Fish addressed the confrontation between CM Punk and the Elite backstage at AEW All Out during an episode of The Undisputed podcast released on Tuesday. 

"Let's just make this a formal invitation to Phil," Fish said. "I'm down, if that's the direction he wants to go and I mean, he can pick the time, the place, we can do it in Chicago."

Fish was then asked to clarify if he was challenging CM Punk to a fight. 

"I mean that would be kind of fun, right? It can be boxing, it could be kickboxing, it can be MMA. I mean, we can do this bare-knuckled, whatever sounds good to Phil. He can pick the weight, he can pick the place, like I said, whatever he wants to do but yeah, let's make it official." 

Fish also revealed that he had pitched for AEW to allow him to do a kickboxing fight while he was under contract to the promotion. 

"Since May, I have tried to get Tony Khan to sit down with me, no less than five times, to ask permission to do a kickboxing fight. It was actually something that I talked with other people in the company about but I could never nail Tony down. In Tony's defense, he's a busy man, especially on TV days. It is what it is but I wanted permission to do a fight and I couldn't get there with Tony. Now, it's no secret I don't need anyone's permission at this point, so yeah, let's make this s**t official, Phil."

"Phil, let's f***ing go! I think that's how someone else would say it," Fish continued. "CM Punk, Bobby Fish, let's fight, why not?" 

Fish also spent some time on the podcast speaking about his relationship with The Young Bucks.

"I love those guys, I love them. They are good people, they got kids, they got wives, they are God-fearing good human beings."

He also clarified that he's not challenging Punk to a fight, he's issuing an invitation. 

"It's not even a challenge, dude, it's an invitation. It's an invitation because at the end of the day, like, who am I? I'm nobody." 

Fish also addressed Ace Steel allegedly having thrown a chair at Nick Jackson and bitten Kenny Omega. 

"I know Ace and that's surprising to hear," Fish said.

See, this whole bullshit has blinded us so much that nobody has even brought up until now that Danielson channeled Rick Rude that night! 

The vote for Danielson is even bigger when you consider you can book him to wrestle even less as a champ if you wanted, thus maybe extending his shelf life (though if you consider his tendencies it probably balances out). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To dare make the argument against Danileson being champion, all three of his singles PPV matches have been mediocre by his standards. Now, he's had awesome matches on TV against Hangman Page twice, Omega, Daniel Garcia twice, and Minoru Suzuki amongst others, but I'd have him go defintively face or heel for story purposes before pushing him for title to get the crowd fully invested in him one way of the other. I think there are cases where tweeners work, but Danielson's PPV matches have not been that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big Z said:

To dare make the argument against Danileson being champion, all three of his singles PPV matches have been mediocre by his standards. Now, he's had awesome matches on TV against Hangman Page twice, Omega, Daniel Garcia twice, and Minoru Suzuki amongst others, but I'd have him go defintively face or heel for story purposes before pushing him for title to get the crowd fully invested in him one way of the other. I think there are cases where tweeners work, but Danielson's PPV matches have not been that.

Disagree on Bryan Danielson vs. Jon Moxley at AEW Revolution 2022, that's a great match. MOTYC. I liked Danielson vs. Chris Jericho more second time round. Still stupid that Jericho went over. Expected more from Bryan Danielson vs. Miro at AEW Full Gear 2021 though.

• Like 2

I can definitely see how the MJF angle has been overshadowed by events, but there is something really next-level prosaic about seeing Best Friends vs Death Triangle announced for Dynamite, like that feels like it's from a different universe at this point

I don't feel certain that Punk being a babyface is now impossible, feels like a big chunk of the audience is going to just want more of this scandalous stuff, he's just going to be reduced to this "say the line, Bart!" type caricature where people want to pull his string and have him spout loads of invective so they can pop for it

• Like 1