DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Kind does prove Punk's point about wrestling journalists being journalists in name only, because after that tirade, someone should have asked, "Double of Nothing 2022, Tony is able to book Punk/Cabana for a no questions asked fuckton of money.  Do you do it?". Put that fucker's "passion for the sport" on the spot.  No, what we got was "I'm scared to ask my next question, Mr. Punk, but here goes: Do you like your muffins?"

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Boiling the reason down to why Punk quit to “his booking” is a gross revision of history. And I’ve never seen it mentioned anywhere that he was given an ultimatum to either suck it up, or he can quit.

I get the point you’re trying to make but you’re twisting the story from back then to fit into what’s happening right now.

Yeah, considering how long they still kept him under contract and refused to cut him loose after he walked out, that doesn't seem super plausable.

We had a toilet flood last night (4 year olds and toilet paper, amiright?) so I had to run out to get cleaning supplies this morning and listened on the ride.

Very little to actually say. Undeniable are..

1. Punk hit Matt
  2. Steel threw a chair at Nick
  3. Steel bit and pulled Kenny's hair.

Past that one side is saying Punk threw the first punch and the other is saying the Bucks were the aggressors. Dave says that everyone he talked to but one falls in on one side and not the other but didn't actually say which (you can sort of imply). Steel's wife has a broken foot and was in the room, immobile, as she was there to look after the dog. There are legal issues at play. Punk may or may not be injured coming out of the match and into what happened as he'd been in the trainer's room. It started as contained to one room and ended up huge. Completely and utterly not a work. The Page line from months ago may not have meant much to any of us at the time but it meant a ton to everyone in the company. Very clear and very blatant given the talk.

Dave got hot at one point over people thinking he only got info from one side or something. The timing was amusing.

Not much there but now you don't have to spend 30 (or 15 at 2x speed, sorry Johnny Sorrow) listening.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He wasn't the boss then. 

He is also 20 years older.  I don’t know the guy personally, but most of us grow up and react to situations very differently after we get a few decades of adulthood under our belt, have kids of our own, etc.  I don’t know why people think Trips is the exception to that.  

Edited by madl
  • Like 1

Also, I'm sorry, I think Punk comes off like an asshole for saying those things about Cabana and his mother. 

Not saying Cabana is faultless or blameless about this situation, but the man has never spoken publicly about his falling out with CM Punk. 

• Like 5

I have a degree of sympathy for Punk in situations like this. Based on what we know about his childhood/family history, I understand why he feels he needs to always be on guard for signs of betrayal and nuke relationships from orbit at the earliest signs in order to keep himself safe from emotional harm. But that level of hypervigilance can lead to a pretty self-destructive pattern where shit that can be fixed gets blown up anyway, and I fear we’re headed down that path here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, EVA said:

I have a degree of sympathy for Punk in situations like this. Based on what we know about his childhood/family history, I understand why he feels he needs to always be on guard for signs of betrayal and nuke relationships from orbit at the earliest signs in order to keep himself safe from emotional harm. But that level of hypervigilance can lead to a pretty self-destructive pattern where shit that can be fixed gets blown up anyway, and I fear we’re headed down that path here.

There's nothing wrong with this if he chooses to be like this, the issue is being so extremely public and offensive about it in what it's (supposed to be) a professional environment. It just makes a complete company look terrible.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

Really, the worst thing that could’ve happened for this situation was Punk getting injured. He had nothing to do but rehab and ruminate for two months. He couldn’t walk his dog, but he sure could imagine all the ways he was going to get back at the Elite.

• Like 4

Extending the in-ring character to out-of-the-ring scenarios is actually very clever work. Bringing real life conflicts into the performance art is very clever work. This isn’t end stage WCW. No one thought Undertaker was mentally ill & finished because he avoided out-of-character interviews & stayed in character wherever possibly for so many years. This is actually a very old school, classical take on the business. They clearly saw how well MJF did at raising his profile by keeping in-character 24/7 and are rolling it out across more talent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, EVA said:

I'm speculating on this also from a sympathetic place, totally without snark: I very seriously wonder sometimes if Punk struggles with a personality disorder 

• Thanks 1

I didn't get to watch the show until Monday morning. Spent the morning/early afternoon with my boy watching and enjoying the time spent together. Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed with the outcome of some of the matches. It wasn't the best PPV I've seen out of AEW. But, all in all, it was a fun watch.

Then, there was a blissful period of maybe four or five hours where I didn't have an opportunity to get online and see the reactions to the show. It'd be nice to be able to go back to that time. The time before the ~TAKES.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, I'm sorry, I think Punk comes off like an asshole for saying those things about Cabana and his mother. 

Not saying Cabana is faultless or blameless about this situation, but the man has never spoken publicly about his falling out with CM Punk. 

Legally, I don't think there's much Colt could even say without guaranteeing that Punk's lawyers destroy Colt. It really makes me think even more back to Punk's family, well, the friends he wound up calling his family, saying that Colt was a snake. Sad as it is to say and I know Colt is liked, but you don't get away with saying literally everything they've said about Colt if you don't have a mountain of evidence to back it up and Colt can't even deny it publicly or privately. Some of the other shit though, like Punk saying Colt was jealous or envious, you could probably refute, but doing so just re-opens a whole can of worms where Punk and/or his lawyers could say will if you weren't then why do we have evidence of you doing all of these different things?

And like EVA said, the worst thing that could have happened to Punk was to get injured and be bed ridden for two straight weeks. Even still, when you have the family history Punk has, and the experiences he's had, you shouldn't go through life without a good therapist. And maybe he has one, who knows, but I haven't had nearly the amount of betrayal he's felt nor have I been sued for a million dollars and I can't imagine not having a therapist that I see once a week or once every other week.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

"Umm .. you know there's legal people involved .. um there was a police office .. um I saw a police officer" ? These guys are either in on it or fuck me they need a bigger carny to contain their gullibility 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, A_K said:

"Umm .. you know there's legal people involved .. um there was a police office .. um I saw a police officer" ? These guys are either in on it or fuck me they need a bigger carny to contain their gullibility 

Thinking back to how he defended Bruce Mitchell over his Brodie Lee column and how Mitchell was "vindicated" for everything he said still makes me sick to my stomach.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The only other thing from the WON that @Matt D didn't mention is Meltzer flat out says that if Ace Steel is punished, Punk is going to walk

Did he state this as a fact or was he speculating?

(I'm going to listen to the audio eventually to find out for myself)

• Like 1