DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m pretty sure Punk quit WWE, and wasn’t “pushed out”, but go off king.

Why did he quit though?

He and Vince/Hunter clashed over his booking. They told him to do business or walk. It was an ultimatum.

The point I was making is that his leaving WWE was because of backstage issues related to how he and his friends were booked. Now it appears the same issue is coming up in AEW with Khan/Elite subbing in for Vince/Hunter.

If it's a work it's a poor one as it makes Punk look like the whiny, unprofessional loser WWE always said he was.
If it's a shoot then Punk needs a good slap but I fear the Tony loves the Pipebomb era Punk too much to do anything about it.

7 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

He and Vince/Hunter clashed over his booking. They told him to do business or walk. It was an ultimatum.

Boiling the reason down to why Punk quit to “his booking” is a gross revision of history. And I’ve never seen it mentioned anywhere that he was given an ultimatum to either suck it up, or he can quit.

I get the point you’re trying to make but you’re twisting the story from back then to fit into what’s happening right now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

The point I was making is that his leaving WWE was because of backstage issues related to how he and his friends were booked.

How he was booked. Period. He wanted to headline WrestleMania, and they wouldn't let him. I doubt Zack Ryder entered into the conversation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Why did he quit though?

The point I was making is that his leaving WWE was because of backstage issues related to how he and his friends were booked. Now it appears the same issue is coming up in AEW with Khan/Elite subbing in for Vince/Hunter.

If it's a work it's a poor one as it makes Punk look like the whiny, unprofessional loser WWE always said he was.
If it's a shoot then Punk needs a good slap but I fear the Tony loves the Pipebomb era Punk too much to do anything about it.

There's also the staph infection that could've killed him, medical malpractice, and Vince saying "I'll owe ya one, pal" too many times. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

I mean, they do the whole Kliq schtick. When you phrase it that way, it really seems like trying to do a whole modern worked shoot update on 1996 WWE politics.

Just a thought, but it is constantly referenced how analytical TK is, and at the same time, there is a large portion (95%ish) of the wrestling fanbase that have gone elsewhere. TK, im certain is wondering how to get those fans back into the product.  Triple H as well.  CM Punk had a stint in UFC; I'd venture to guess some portion of the late 90s wrestling audience has gone in that direction.  How do you galvanize that audience?  By capturing the very real tension and animosity of those very real UFC fights in a fictional environment, with a dash of reality and what do you get?  You gauge interest and blur lines, and get people. TALKING.  It will be interesting to see if Triple H goes this route as well, because ive seen shades of this with Rollins/Riddle.  It could make for great episodic TV and send the business into an interesting direction. Im strapped in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He wasn't the boss then. 

He was on the booking committee when Shawn was going into business for himself againt Bret Hart.

I know he couldn't exactly fire Michaels, but it's funny that he'd talk about not having unprofessional guys on top when he rode the coattails of (arguably) the least professional world champ of all-time.

Of course, Huter himself once compared WWE's new big signing to being a worse worker than a homeless man he met on the street durin Raw so...

2 minutes ago, Log said:

Pretty sure people are just mixing up Ace Steel with Larry. 

Damn, man. Some of you all get MAD about shit that happens at other peoples’ work. Chill. Just sit back and enjoy. We don’t have to go in tomorrow and be around any of these people. I love hearing about my friends’ work drama. But, even then, I have to feel bad if my friends are involved. I don’t know any of these people! It’s great!

To goss or not to goss, that is the question.

Whether tiss nobler in the mind to post

about the swinging chairs and biting

or enjoy online pictures of Larry,

and like them between irrationally long matches.

No more! We long for Cody-MJF segments of belt lashes

the heart-aches for good buildups

but what does the Jaguar heir present? 99 Nitro.

Devotely we wish for long-form storytelling, to vicariously long for friendships told through matches

Buds, joking on YouTube shorts? No.

For the true friendship may never come.

the dream of a happy Punks return coiled 

May we pause with our enjoyment,

at the calamity of injury reactive storytelling and publicly made scandal? Title run foiled.

for who would bear the whips of the new good storylines? 

Business won’t be had, the Elite are wounded and the Punk is proud!

The pangs of backstage heat, the shoot video Law!

The barren office, Tony isn’t loud.

The impatient need to be one of the boys makes

Sadness as his offerings of White Claws and McDonalds - no one takes!

With a press conference sullen face, who will be the boss?

With a whimper and sweat under a privileged life,

all trace back to a boyhood favorite company’s death!

The unfulfilled odyssey of making the business better

No. A star’s return will change that middle letter.

Posters scattering to make sense of mayhem

Thus memeing does make cowards of us all,

And thus the Chicago hue of backstage drama, the company’s Bethlehem 

Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of zingers,

And entertainment of referencing 80’s sitcoms to ease as the moment lingers

as the waves of unease drift our favorite promotion away,

And those who lose? Match theory posters. Quiet you! Today isn’t your day!

The fair @Log? Dreamer of a higher quality posting.

Remember, I’m doing my best and feeling silly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Why did he quit though?

I think you need to actually listen to Punk document the whole affair on Cabana’s pod and get the actual facts. Everything was documented, backed up and indisputable given WWE caved in, paid Punk everything he was owed and backed down from a court case they were going to get slaughtered in. He had every right to be bitter and broken when he quit that company.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

He is now and Shawn's still a prick. 

And? He's on creative down in NXT, he's not someone they are banking on to be a headliner for the promotion. 

Look at the people who WWE has been pushing heavily to the media. Cena, Roman, The Miz, now Bianca Belair.. 

They are all professionals. They don't have to worry about what they are going to do in the public eye. Brock was a draw but they never sent him to do media. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And? He's on creative down in NXT, he's not someone they are banking on to be a headliner for the promotion. 

Look at the people who WWE has been pushing heavily to the media. Cena, Roman, The Miz, now Bianca Belair.. 

They are all professionals. They don't have to worry about what they are going to do in the public eye. Brock was a draw but they never sent him to do media. 

I'm not saying that what Punk did wasn't unprofessional. 

What I am saying is that when it comes to CM Punk, HHH is talking out of both sides of his mouth. 

Shawn can be as professional in front of the cameras now as much as he wants. He's a prick and he always has been.

• Like 2

2022 in wrestling will go down as a historic year and it's still not over. Here's the year so far. Tried to do chronologically:

• Cody Rhodes leaves AEW for WWE. Huge unexpected development.
  • Katsuyori Shibata has his first match back proper at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16.
  • Shane McMahon gets canned from WWE. Miss timed that with what was to come, Shane O'Mac.
  • Cesaro leaves WWE.
  • WWE stupidly fires William Regal.
  • William Regal debuts at AEW Revolution 2022 held 6th March, my Birthday.
  • Steve Austin has his first match in 19 years at WrestleMania XXXVIII beating Kevin Owens in the main event.
  • Roman Reigns is the first to hold the WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship at the same time. Reigns' WWE Universal Championship reign is now 700+ days.
  • The Undertaker goes into the WWE Hall of Fame.
  • Surprisingly the Steiner Brothers do, more so Scott Steiner with what he's said about Triple H and Vince McMahon.
  • RIP Scott Hall.
  • Big E breaks his neck.
  • AEW and NJPW announcement of a joint PPV, AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door.
  • Tony Khan buys Ring of Honour.
  • ROH returns with Supercard of Honour featuring a dream match that delivers, #FTR vs. Briscoe Brothers. *****.
  • Triple H announces his retirement.
  • Kota Ibushi out of NJPW, his last match was in the G1 Climax 32 Final where he dislocated his shoulder so the match ended with Kazuchika Okada winning his 3rd G1.
  • Shinjiro Ohtani is paralysed from the neck down during a match for Pro Wrestling Zero1.
  • The Owen Hart Cup Men's and Women's Tournaments for The Owen Hart Foundation/AEW.
  • Sasha Banks and Naomi, the WWE Women's Tag Team Champions walk out of WWE in May and get buried by them more than anyone since Steve Austin's 20 years ago.
  • Stephanie McMahon takes a leave of absence from WWE.
  • The first major WWE PPV in the UK for 30 years, Clash at the Castle hasn't sold the expected amount of tickets, way too expensive. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus is a ***** match.
  • MJF no-shows a meet and greet the day before AEW Double or Nothing and we don't know if he'll show for his match with Wardlow. MJF appears doing the job.
  • CM Punk wins the AEW World Championship from Adam Page at AEW Double or Nothing. Five days later on a live AEW Rampage announces he needs surgery. There's confusing mixed messaging whether Punk's vacating or not.
  • Instead there's a Battle Royal on next week's Dynamite where the winner will face Jon Moxley in the main event. The winner, faced Hiroshi Tanahashi for the AEW Interim World Championship, AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door. Mox won.
  • Cody Rhodes tears his right pectoral muscle off the bone the week of Hell in a Cell. Rhodes still wrestles Seth Rollins inside HITC. Rhodes' chest and arm is so badly bruised. A display of toughness by the American Nightmare.
  • Jeff Hardy gets another DUI, nearly 4 times over the legal limit. Jeff Hardy is suspended without pay and can only return upon completing successful treatment and maintain sobriety.
  • Vince McMahon alleged to pay hush money, $3 million to his mistresses. 
  • An injury bug in WWE/AEW/NJPW - Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Tomohiro Ishii and SANADA.
  • AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door is the best top to bottom wrestling show this year.
  • Claudio Castagnoli is the mystery opponent at AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door for Zack Sabre Jr replacing the injured Bryan Danielson.
  • Vince McMahon announces he'll retire in a tweet as WWE Chairman and CEO. Stephanie McMahon and Nick Khan take over. Brock Lesnar walked out on Smackdown Live, the first WWE show since Vince's tweet.
  • Triple H takes over creative. Shows are better.
  • Bayley returns at SummerSlam, 13 months out with an ACL tear.
  • More injuries: Becky Lynch separates her shoulder vs. Bianca Belair at SummerSlam but finishes the match, Dax Harwood, Santana, Jamie Hayter, Chris Jericho, Kris Statlander and Thunder Rosa.
  • Triple H brings back Dakota Kai, Karrion Kross, Scarlett and Johnny Gargano.
  • NXT UK is no more, it will be NXT Europe. Numerous NXT UK talent are released. The NXT UK Titles are unified with the NXT 2.0 ones.
  • NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 reverts to a one night show, the first since Wrestle Kingdom 13.
  • MJF returns at AEW All Out after CM Punk regains the AEW World Championship beating Jon Moxley. The press conference afterwards is better than the actual show as CM Punk rips into Colt Cabana, the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega and Adam Page. This then leads to a fight backstage.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southofheavy said:

There's also the staph infection that could've killed him, medical malpractice, and Vince saying "I'll owe ya one, pal" too many times. 

1 hour ago, matwarz said:

I think you need to actually listen to Punk document the whole affair on Cabana’s pod and get the actual facts. Everything was documented, backed up and indisputable given WWE caved in, paid Punk everything he was owed and backed down from a court case they were going to get slaughtered in. He had every right to be bitter and broken when he quit that company.

To try and clarify:

I'm not looking to defend WWE here.

The point im making is that if this is a shoot, Punk is now developing a very negative position in his 2nd major promotion and is directly attacking the people that built that promotion.

If it's a work then it's leaning into the absolute worst aspects of smarky kayfabe BS.

I'm supposed to believe Cody Rhodes couldn't book the "Cody-verse" but Punk gets to do this?

Maybe I'm screaming into the wind but it's not engaging or making me want to see what happens next. It's quite the opposite actually where I kind of want Punk to go away now...

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

MJF: “I’ll be the top story after that return tonight!”

CM Punk: "Hold my non alcoholic beer!"

Which brings us back around to page 10ish (or maybe something on FB) when someone tweeted “now MJF knows how Wardlow felt”

• Like 5

For those bewildered  why Punk ranted about Cabana with no provocation (he brought the topic up), let me help you out .. it is because it is a work

For those bewildered why mild-mannered, bookish Kenny Omega who has been on the shelf with a series of serious injuries would be involved in backstage assault felonies within weeks of his return, let me help you out .. it is because it is a work

For those bewildered why a backstage producer who became a storyline character last week is suddenly committing assault felonies, let me help you out .. it is because it is a work

For those bewildered why Colt Cabana (who previously had 3 Dynamite appearances in 12 months, and is the preserve of Dark/Elevation) is being framed as being "fired" when he is storyline-assigned to 'ROH' and likely gets more TV time than he did before, let me help you out .. it is because it is a work

For those bewildered why Tony Khan is leaving voicemails on MJFs phone that are then used in AEW-manufactured, AEW-ring entrances, let me help you out .. it is because it is a work

For those bewildered why CM Punk came back to the company looking fresh, put together & overly sweet buying people ice cream, is now propped up with a shaggy beard over a mound of fast food cursing every other word, let me help you out .. it is because it is a work

Come on people - get it together here - some of you have gone absolutely mad. You must have been having heart attacks when Bearer stole the urn ?

Edited by A_K
  • Like 3