DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Fightful sharing what WWE talent have to say. Interesting stuff and less the Nelson Muntz response I was expecting:

Reactions from WWE staff and talent for
CM Punk's media scrum caught the attention of EVPs in AEW, but also wrestlers around the industry.

There were numerous WWE talent that reached out to Fightful to get the notes of what all went down, as well as details behind the skirmish at AEW All Out. A top WWE star said that they believe that the CM Punk that they knew years ago is being highlighted.

Another WWE talent said that if it was a work, it was one of the most elaborate works they've ever seen. A third talent said much of the same -- "If this Punk press scrum thing is a work.. bravo." Both had contacted Fightful before Raw and said that they learned individually it wasn't a work, and expressed surprise that it even happened. There was confusion from both of those as to why Tony Khan would not comment in the follow up about Punk bashing the EVPs and not providing clarity regarding the people who launched the company with him.

"You can't expect a lot of people here to have a lot of positive things to say about Punk, and I think he's aware of that and has probably come to peace with it," one talent who worked with Punk in the past said. "I feel like he's trying to run things there, and it looks like he's doing it."

Another longtime main eventer told us that they considered Punk's actions unprofessional, and don't believe he's the company man or leader that he made himself out to be. That same person would call Punk "selfish and arrogant." This sentiment was echoed by several we spoke to, including some talent that worked on set with Punk at FOX. 

A WWE official said that they agreed with Tony Khan that wrestlers not liking each other wasn't bad for wrestling, but said that in situations like Punk and the Elite's, that power had to be asserted in order to let everyone know that wasn't tolerable. The same official said that kind of thing didn't happen as often recently in WWE -- except for the likes of Chris Jericho and Brock Lesnar -- because talent knew that if they did that while Vince McMahon was there, they probably weren't going to be welcomed back. With situations where it did happen, like Alberto Del Rio, they were fired.

Another top WWE name told us that if the parties involved don't put their issues aside and make money with it that "none of them have business talking about drawing houses or losing fans or interest. They have a good show but this is still the biggest piece of business they've done and they have to capitalize."

We'll have more on this story as we get more info. 

So they are saying they've heard (presumably from friends in aew) that it is not a work. They're right for calling out Khan for not stepping in but I get the feeling he doesn't want to offend Punk-sama and risk things getting awkward in the public eye. 

100% agree with the last statement too. This could be something that brings AEW to the next level I was just saying was likely impossible. 

Another longtime main eventer told us that they considered Punk's actions unprofessional, and don't believe he's the company man or leader that he made himself out to be. That same person would call Punk "selfish and arrogant." This sentiment was echoed by several we spoke to, including some talent that worked on set with Punk at FOX. 

Hmm

Spoiler

booker-t-spinarooni.gif

• Haha 5

IF IT'S A WORK then they fucked up choosing Punk as the one to call out Hangman and the Elite.

MJF would be the perfect guy to sit there as champ and say "Fuck the cool kids for not letting me in and fucking with my money/contract." It plays into his thinking he's the biggest star in AEW but also rings a lot more true because he's an AEW guy.

Like it or love it, Punks persona will forever be tied to being pushed out of WWE for not wanting to do business their way. At the time we sided with him. We wanted justice for the 'indy darlings'.

Having him bitch and moan about backstage shit in AEW turns this from a one time issue with Vince/Hunter into a pattern of behaviour. It makes it look like he took his ball and went home and didn't come back for 7 years because he wasn't going to get his way in any relevant promotion.

IF THIS IS A WORK it's a terrible one because in a post kayfabe world we want/understand that harmony in a workplace is important. We want these guys to be able to go to work and enjoy themselves. It's the literal reason so many of us were happy these guys got out from under Vince.

It wasn't about being world champions, it was about being able to perform with their own creative flair.

There's been spot fires here and there backstage with AEW but now it feels there is a very clear divide forming between "Punk's guys" and "The Elite & Co".

NOBODY wants an AEW Civil War storyline. We do not need to go down the path of a "WWE Guys" stable and re-hash of the fucking nWo... again.

IF IT'S NOT A WORK then Punk should be flat on his back at Grand Slam dropping the title. Put MJF over and fuck off for a bit to work out what the hell he's doing. Be part of the team or take your ball and go home again. AEW was fine before you got here, it'll be fine after you're gone.

• Like 10

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Time to stop acting like a bartender and start acting like a boss.

If that’s directed at me, yes I have a drinking problem and yes I nod while I pretend to listen to peoples problems. But I’m doing my best!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

I like to think of it like a game of Clue. Was it King Bookah in the Boiler Room with a Phone Call. OR Rene in Gorilla with a Text. OR Paige in the Locker Room with a Fax Machine.

Per Wikipedia:

The on-air personnel featured on WWE Backstage includes:[11]

Hosts
Renee Young
Booker T

Frequent contributors
Christian
Paige
CM Punk
Ember Moon
Mark Henry
Ryan Satin

I assume Booker still does some panel stuff for them or whatever. Satin doesn't count as talent. Everyone else is gone. 

Yes, I am Sherlock Holmes. 

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

If that’s directed at me, yes I have a drinking problem and yes I nod while I pretend to listen to peoples problems. But I’m doing my best!

Not at all directed at you Octopus. Tony Khan was talking about seeing himself as a bartender and someone who wants to service the fans and the wrestlers, but he talked about having a breaking point when people, including wrestlers, are slamming him publicly.

So I'm like saying Tony, it's time to step up and show some leadership here. You can't be a bartender and service these guys anymore. Now you have to be a boss and get this rotting shit under control.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Like it or love it, Punks persona will forever be tied to being pushed out of WWE for not wanting to do business their way. At the time we sided with him. We wanted justice for the 'indy darlings'.

I’m pretty sure Punk quit WWE, and wasn’t “pushed out”, but go off king.

• Like 3

Now I’m Frasier!

I find it interesting that Punk only took exception to Page when Kingston and MJF practically did the same promo. Armchair psychologist: It’s as if he knows he can cause a fuss at mellow Hangman and not hot tempered Kingston or snake tongue Maxwell. Hmmm. Thoughts, Niles?

EDIT: YOU BEAT ME TO IT @TheVileOne!!!

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure people are just mixing up Ace Steel with Larry. 

Damn, man. Some of you all get MAD about shit that happens at other peoples’ work. Chill. Just sit back and enjoy. We don’t have to go in tomorrow and be around any of these people. I love hearing about my friends’ work drama. But, even then, I have to feel bad if my friends are involved. I don’t know any of these people! It’s great!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey does anyone have a photo of Action Bronson at All Out? Someone on the chat had him looking "svelte" and that sounds interesting. Or wherever he showed up (I guess Hook appeared somewhere?) maybe I can find the footage. 

It’s from the pre show hook match he got in the ring for the finish so you should be able to google photos.