DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

PWInsider says Ace Steel got involved with the fight because his wife was in the vicinity of the altercation and watching over Punk's dog Larry. Those taking Punk's side believe it was wrong for The Elite to corner Punk in his locker room like that.

Wut. He literally told people to come talk to him in his locker room if they had a problem with him lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, EVA said:

Wut. He literally told people to come talk to him in his locker room if they had a problem with him lol.

Well these guys aren't just wrestlers. They're the EVPs of the company, and they seemed to be in a confrontational mood.

Also look, this is what PWInsider is saying happened from like secondhand sources. Or maybe they were firsthand. Who knows?

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Awwww I just thought of something sad. Brody and Buddy are like the Butcher and the Blade on steroids. It's not fair. 

These 4 would actually be a sweet midcard stable.

It would give us Bunny & Julia Hart in the eventual Women's Tag Title tourney as well.

• Like 2

If I'm Khan, I'm immediately pivoting to Punk and company vs. The Elite. They gotta do whatever they're doing w MJF ASAP before this dies down. 

Grand Slam is the 21st. That feels like an eternity, which is why these worked shoots or harnessing shoots into works is tough with twitter. It'll be old news by then. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If I'm Khan, I'm immediately pivoting to Punk and company vs. The Elite. They gotta do whatever they're doing w MJF ASAP before this dies down. 

You can probably have Punk drop the belt immediately-ish, and then run BCC vs MJF and Co, with a detour of revisiting the Wardlow program as well. 

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Meltzer mentioned that he was just talking with Punk about how Survivor Series 97’ outdrew Wrestlemania 13. He didn’t draw a straight line to the scrum being a work but it’s a curious coincidence. 

Sapp also wrote this last night:

"We've also been told that some media that wasn't planning on attending the scrum were told that they really should attend it, before all the drama unfolded."

Like...what am I supposed to think about that? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Sapp also wrote this last night:

"We've also been told that some media that wasn't planning on attending the scrum were told that they really should attend it, before all the drama unfolded."

Like...what am I supposed to think about that? 

Near the end of his stream last night, Sean also said that was the sort of thing Tony would do about a lot of things. He's a friendly, excited person.

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Near the end of his stream last night, Sean also said that was the sort of thing Tony would do about a lot of things. He's a friendly, excited person.

He's also passive aggressive. I mean I can't stay up to date on every stream, but when I read something like that in a report, that sets doubts in my mind if this is all legitimate.

Edited by TheVileOne

1 hour ago, Super Ape said:

In any case; what a shitshow. AEW definitely feels like it’s lost it’s magic, and who knows where this backstage mess will lead. Probably another late WCW situation.

IMO This is the fork in the road and more for fans than the actual promotion. Magic, momentum, whatever you want to use is intangible. AAA, UWFi, NOAH, and a bunch of promotions over the last few decades weren't able to sustain that early success for several reasons (currency crisis, bad booking decisions, stars leaving, stars getting older, performers dying, etc.). I think in actuality, you're going to have to pivot off that early success no matter what. Some people are going to like that pivot. There are some people that are going to hate that pivot. Maybe many people will hate it. Point is the old fans are always going to drop off. Can you make new ones is the question.

When WCW pivoted to Hogan, they were doing much better business even though he was half the star he was from 1984-1989. A large group of people hated it. People talk all the time about how 1991-1994 was their favorite era of WCW. Why? Cause the the PPVs top to bottom were much better compared to the back half of the 90s where you might have 1 or 2 bangers, some filler, and then a so so main event. Truth is when most of that was happening, they were on the edge of death and couldn't draw flies to shit. When you compare the commercial success of the company, 1991-1994 is not even in the same universe as 1995-1998.  And hey, because of that success, maybe it had a lot of do with the downfall and ultimately downturn of the entire business a few years later. However, it's still no contest at all.

Based on the current Dynamite ratings, the fact they still can do reasonably good ticket sales. and on the verge of getting paid on this next TV deal, all that magic counts for nothing essentially. UFC lost all their magic from 2005-2011. A bunch of fans who use to watch ain't watching no more. Guess what? They just had their 24th straight full arena sellout with most of the gates being above 2 or 3 million dollars. They've made about 80 or 90 million dollars in gate revenue alone in the last seven or eight months maybe. That's insane for a company that is nowhere near as "popular" in a intangible sense compared to 15 years ago. Guess what? They're about to do another huge gate and sellout this week for a NON-TITLE FIGHT.

So yeah, all this probably sucks for the early fans or the loyal fans. However, you can't put much stock in the magic/honeymoon/momentum thing. I don't know any company after the territories ended that sustained a certain amount of success from the very start for years on end. The first wave of success ends and then you move on.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He's also passive aggressive. I mean I can't stay up to date on every stream, but when I read something like that in a report, that sets doubts in my mind if this is all legitimate.

Same. Just felt like offering additional context Sean used in his framing of it to be helpful. You're welcome to your doubts, I'm sure many of us have them. 

• Like 1

This is stupid. It just sucks. 

If it's a work, there's far more interesting ways to get to Punk vs Kenny or Punk vs the Bucks or Punk vs Hangman 2. 

There were better ways to book MJF. 

There are far more interesting and better ways to book this company as a whole. Hell, you have Eddie Kingston right there. 

If it's a shoot, or certain parts of it are a shoot, no one looks good after last night. I was under the impression that got Punk got asked about Colt Cabana right off the rip, so I was actually a little understanding about him going off. Then I watched Denise Salcedo's shoot of the presser and Punk served all that shit up without provocation. Frankly, he's an asshole for doing it, Page is an idiot for his promo, and The Bucks are fucking morons, too. 

I don't want to watch a bunch of assholes be assholes to each other. I'd go "celebrate" Thanksgiving at my Dad's house if I wanted that. 

Now, if this were leading to Sting, Darby and Eddie cleaning house on all these fools, that'd be different. It's not. 

On top of that, that PPV sucked. It was a two match show. Punk vs Moxley was great and that tag team match was spectacular. Everything else was just there or disappointing. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1