DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I think the Acclaimed are probably better off without the title right at this point.  They're heat machines and being around the middle of the card gives you more flexibility in how they're booked and who they can match up with while still getting the "we were almost the champs" rub. 

I'm also still into the Swerve/Lee Kobe/Shaq dynamic of teammates that can operate while kinda hating each other, which also makes it easier to eventually transition the titles to FTR.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Big Z said:

In one night, The Acclaimed transformed themselves from a modern day New Age Outlaws tribute act to an actual, big boy, championship level tag team. Whie you cannot change the outcome of a match unless there needs to be an injury audible, they likely just earned a title run in the near future with that performance and crowd reaction.

They had a title match against A Boy and His Dinosaur, where the Acclaimed were working much more heel-ish, and the crowd bit SUPER hard on one of their nearfalls. Thousands of people in attendance collectively realized that they really, really wanted to see the belts on Bowens & Caster in that moment, go back and watch if you can.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Not sure how you carry forward with CM Punk as a babyface after that. We will never have to hear another awe shucks, do you still love me promo. If he does embrace being a heel, though, it would actually be funny if he still did the pandering but to massive boos this time. 

You can't. Ever. Or at least not for a very, very long time. Biggest heel in the biz MJF was getting cheered over CM Punk, and the big thing isn't that they were in Chicago. It was that it was before the media scrum. Punk is gonna come out on Dynamite and it's gonna be thermonuclear. It's gonna be "COLT CABANA" chants and "WE WANT HANGMAN" and yes, probably even "WHAT". I'm talking "MICKEY GALL" chants. "COCA COLA". "AL-CO-HOL".

The problem obviously is that all this nonsense lends itself to a feud with The Elite instead of a freshly-babyface MJF. Which... is a weird dynamic and I'm not sure how that's gonna play out. A feud with The Elite would be tricky enough, as Page is the only guy who's going to be able to hang in an extended Punk feud. There are certain scenarios you CANNOT book in AEW. CM Punk having a microphone battle with Kenny Omega or Matt Jackson would be a massacre. It would expose the biggest flaws of their day-one main event talent. It would be like CM Punk fighting in the UFC.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Punk tirade was unprompted. No one asked him about Colt, The EVPs, & Hangman. I've seen people saying he still has to deal with this stuff (Colt) years later like Punk said but he brought it up to start the presser without being asked. That's a very important detail that is being overlooked..

Edited by wpdougie2180
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Big Z said:

In 2022 pro wrestling though, especially AEW, you also need to deliver after bell rings to be at championship level. They have not had anything resembling that level of a match as a team before (though Bowens had some very singles matches at end of last year). Even if last night was a touch flash in the pan/crowd aided, they now have that in-ring credibility to match with the entertainment factor and should get the belts soon as a result (even if that means altering previous plans).

Fair to an extent - but they put the belts on Luchasaurus ? Belts should have gone from JE to Acclaimed direct. Its fine - they can just move them over in short order. Lee / Swerve should be in the IC-equivalent picture as single-stars. Put Perry back in the tag division because he can't work singles .. make the tags the preserve of the young high flying / charismatic talent. IC-picture becomes the veterans / bruisers. Simple. 

• Like 1

So ok..

Punk got into a fight with the Bucks after the scrum and knocked out one of em?

For real!? 

I know TheNatural posted an audio clip mentioning some confrontation but apologies bud, Meltzer rambles for way too long for me to try and sit there to figure out at what point he discusses any altercation. 

Having to see this on Twitter discussed without audio clips has me guessing if that actually happened ? 

Rovert says Nick got ktfo

Edited by Hayabusa
Added links
  • Like 1

I guess I will play a tiny bit of devils advocate here, while also saying this shit is stupid and should be left behind closed doors (though that seems to have been nuked with the leaks anyway, but whatever)

If (big if I guess) Punk is being honest and he had nothing to do with Colt being demoted, and the Bucks are the ones leaking the story that he did (which I do think is easily plausible with the history between the 2 and Meltzer), I understand him being livid. That’s absolute petty bullshit from people who are in a position of power on a national brand, and achieves nothing other then lighting fires. Not saying Punk isn’t an asshole in this situation, he 100% is, but if I may steal a Reddit thing, it seems far more likely this is a “Everyones the Asshole” situation instead of just Punk. Once more, assuming Punk is being honest.

Or maybe this bullshit is a work and honestly, if it is I think I’m just out. My least favorite part of wrestling is the personal drama behind the scenes bullshit, and running angles on pressers and through wrestling journalists is the best way to make me give 0 shits about your company.

• Like 3

This morning running errands, I got a mental image of this shoot fight with Punk swinging wildly (like his UFC fight) at the Bucks while Matt threw superkicks while slapping his thigh and Nick flipping needlessly off a table and it made me giggle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Funniest thing to me is this board has a bunch of weird “that guy deserves a receipt backstage! I love the tough guys!” posts and then there appears to be a legit altercation and it’s between Punk and the Bucks which is about as far away from tough guy as you can get.  

What a twist. 

Edited by Jrag
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I guess I will play a tiny bit of devils advocate here, while also saying this shit is stupid and should be left behind closed doors (though that seems to have been nuked with the leaks anyway, but whatever)

If (big if I guess) Punk is being honest and he had nothing to do with Colt being demoted, and the Bucks are the ones leaking the story that he did (which I do think is easily plausible with the history between the 2 and Meltzer), I understand him being livid. That’s absolute petty bullshit from people who are in a position of power on a national brand, and achieves nothing other then lighting fires. Not saying Punk isn’t an asshole in this situation, he 100% is, but if I may steal a Reddit thing, it seems far more likely this is a “Everyones the Asshole” situation instead of just Punk. Once more, assuming Punk is being honest.

Or maybe this bullshit is a work and honestly, if it is I think I’m just out. My least favorite part of wrestling is the personal drama behind the scenes bullshit, and running angles on pressers and through wrestling journalists is the best way to make me give 0 shits about your company.

How dare you think this is stupid it’s an automatic red flag that you’re a mark that thinks it’s real ?

With that being said, excellent points. 

28 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Rovert says Nick got ktfo

I'd be surprised if that's true. After all, we've seen Punk fight. But if it's actually true? They should suspend him like they did Kingston.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

I'd be surprised if that's true. After all, we've seen Punk fight. But if it's actually true? They should suspend him like they did Kingston.

But yeah…your basis of comparison is trained fighters and the Bucks, who don’t exactly strike me as guys who’ve been in many donnybrooks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, porksweats said:

He named the Bakery and when it was open so Tony could contact them to be part of catering going forward

I really hope you guys aren't trying to put Top Of The Muffin... To You! out of business.

seinfeld-muffin-tops.png

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ace said:

Not that I believe it, but what does Punk's MMA career have to do with that? Are the Jacksons renown for their shoot superkicks? Is Nick the half cousin of Mike Jackson?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I didn't feel like posting any thoughts at 3 AM for a variety of reasons, so I'll just try to get everything out now.

The tag title match and the trios titles matches were both a heck of a lot of fun to watch. Tag titles especially. I know many wrestling fans will inveigh against "video game style pro wrestling," but to me Swerve is like a character in a video game or old kung-fu film who has a fighting style that is entirely unique to himself. I don't know if we necessarily see that too often in wrestling any longer, at least not to the extent he's able to take it. Not related to his moveset, but it's also pretty effective when he lets his heel side come out. He's good at it. The "call an audible" thing is insane to me. I've never seen anything out of Swerve/Lee where they would deserve to get the rug pulled out from under them mid-match. No reason why AEW can't find a way to build up to a big rematch there.

HOB vs. Miro/Sting/Allin was also fun pro-wrestling. I can only hope Malakai does what he needs to do to get right, whether it's mental/physical/emotional at this point. 

The main event was an excellent match. Moxley absolutely has a "wrestler of the year" argument. The fact that dude is doing this immediately after having a child, getting sober, and getting back in shape is...I don't know I have a better word than "commendable" at the moment but it doesn't feel like enough. 

As for the scrum stuff...I've reached the point where I tie seemingly everything in life back to "The story of the Chinese farmer." AEW has joined the list. All of this "is it a work? is it a shoot?" stuff just makes me say "We'll see." Tony's comments about having more money than Jim Crockett, to me, are telling. If all of these disagreements are real, the question to me is at what point will money be unable to make all of these problems go away? If the disagreements are worked, to what extent will this bring more money in? Will the promise of enough cash be enough to get all of these clashing personalities to work together? I guess we'll see.

They have some potentially interesting storyline directions to go, if they can get everyone to cooperate. After what Punk has said - real or not - it would make sense to have someone like Hangman double down on his comments and insist he was right about needing to save AEW from Punk. It would be logical for his character to continue to feel that way after the events of the PPV and the scrum; it wouldn't be unreasonable in-story to state that Punk is close to burning AEW to the ground, and he's not even necessarily doing it intentionally. He's just being himself, damn the consequences. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I think we need to take a deeper look at SRS/Fightful and the possibility that they're operating with an agenda or being flat out used to sow conflict

There's that gem months back kicking off all kinds of speculation 

Although I suppose this could be the answer 

Edited by Hayabusa
Two things can be true: Punk is a bitter jerk irl and SRS is stirring up shit for subs, IMO
  • Like 2