DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

AEW is much at getting the focus on themselves.  GUNTHER vs Sheamus was less than 48 hours ago and we have 19 pages on this shit.

Weirdly enough, 9+ pages were before the PPV.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

Re: the media scrum, why is Colt Cabana having a shared bank account with his mother a bad thing? Maybe Colt's mother is disabled. It's not uncommon. That whole thing was none of our business and was something especially prickish that I think a lot of people might miss.

It’s not a bad thing.  It’s actually smart if your parent is elderly, divorced, widowed, in bad health, etc.  When my mother passed away, my father's financial manager recommended he add his kids to his various accounts so that bills get paid and Dad’s household keeps running if he is hospitalized or otherwise unavailable to sign checks.  Most of Dad’s assets are now in a trust which can be managed by his children if something happens or him.  His various checking accounts and such also have at least one child’s name listed on the account, so we can sign checks if Dad can’t.  So I guess I have a shared bank account with my father.  Someone let me know if I have to go fight Punk over it.  

Honestly, I wasn’t sure if Punk brought that up to embarrass Cabana or if he was hinting Colt was afraid Punk would drag his mom into the lawsuit.  Either way, guy is an ass for bringing that up in public.

Edited by madl
  • Like 3

I don't know about the future of the House of Black, but Julia Hart cosplaying Stevie Nicks is a concept we must retain.  Jon Moxley was fucking AWESOME in that Punk match.  Punk was good.  I dug all the blood.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, madl said:

It’s not a bad thing.  It’s actually smart if your parent is elderly, divorced, widowed, in bad health, etc.  When my mother passed away, my father's financial manager recommended he add his kids to his various accounts so that bills get paid and Dad’s household keeps running if he is hospitalized or otherwise unavailable to sign checks.  Most of Dad’s assets are now in a trust which can be managed by his children if something happens or him.  His various checking accounts and such also have at least one child’s name listed on the account, so we can sign checks if Dad can’t.  So I guess I have a shared bank account with my father.  Someone let me know if I have to go fight Punk over it.  

Honestly, I wasn’t sure if Punk brought that up to embarrass Cabana or if he was hinting Colt was afraid Punk would drag his mom into the lawsuit.  Either way, guy is an ass for bringing that up in public.

My mom just passed two weeks ago; I have Power of Attorney with my Dad and will get my name added to all of his accounts, with my name listed on all of checking accounts for this very reason. we have other family members with the same arrangements. It's actually a very good would to manage finances for elderly parents. I visibly cringed when I read the transcript - I would be real heated a friend of Colt's.  Curious to see who Punk has backing him the locker room. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CM Punk has done no favors for himself with his dialogue. All I could think watching that last night was how much of an asshole Punk was/is for his comments. This is the same guy who said he wouldn't put over Hangman Page - the one guy you could argue they helped build the promotion around. Chances are, if enough people keep saying you're an asshole, you are indeed the asshole. Punk is reaching Hogan levels of "I control what goes on around here, brother" and it's kind of... annoying? When he wasn't even there day one while guys like Omega, Hangman, and the Bucks were building this promotion to get it to a point where Punk would even want to come back and wrestle.

• Like 3

Not sure how you carry forward with CM Punk as a babyface after that. We will never have to hear another awe shucks, do you still love me promo. If he does embrace being a heel, though, it would actually be funny if he still did the pandering but to massive boos this time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I dug all the blood.

There was a moment when he was rolling either into or out of the ring where this HUGE pump of blood just came gushing out of his head. It was some primo shit. Punk is seriously up there with one of the best bleeders out there because he always 100%s it. And yeah that was a great match regardless of me wanting Mox instead or what happened after. 

Something we talked about in the chat is about how the hammer and anvil elbows never look good unless Danielson does them but I'd argue Mox is just fine with them, and especially for the stomps, because them shits is motorcycle boots coming down on your face. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There was a moment when he was rolling either into or out of the ring where this HUGE pump of blood just came gushing out of his head. It was some primo shit. Punk is seriously up there with one of the best bleeders out there because he always 100%s it. And yeah that was a great match regardless of me wanting Mox instead or what happened after. 

Something we talked about in the chat is about how the hammer and anvil elbows never look good unless Danielson does them but I'd argue Mox is just fine with them, and especially for the stomps, because them shits is motorcycle boots coming down on your face. 

He was crawling back into the ring and there were massive red smears all over the black ring banner, I thought at first it was a part of the original design before realizing that it was that Punk was gushing.

You know, after Punk’s smartass remark about Mox bleeding, it was a nice touch that Mox stayed dry, if a little surprising considering how often he gets hardway busted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

If this stuff is a work, does it make anyone want to watch Wednesday? It’s more annoying than anything else.

Big time disagree. What wrestling fans want is realism. Even the smartest wrestling fan wants there to be times where they question if what they're seeing is actual real and not part of the show. I don't man that in a Russo way. I mean that in a dad that hates wrestling and takes his kid there, but says 'I know all this here wrestling stuff is fake but not Bruiser Brody. That guy is fighting people for real' way. This kind of intrigue has led to 20+ pages of discussion. WWE had a very good show Saturday and their discussion page topped out at 4.

Intrigue and realism is a draw. This DOES make people want to watch Wednesday. It may be annoying to you specifically who enjoys the straight forward on air nature of the story telling much like a great TV show or movie. But the broader wrestling audience loves this kind of stuff. It's 20 years later and people still talk about the ins and outs of Bret / Shawn & Montreal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

If you can't figure out how to use someone as talented and popular as Colt (don't forget him being a pioneer in the whole indy merch selling that earns you a nice living thing as well) that's a problem on you.

Colt was the like 10th most important member of Dark Order. He was the absolute epitome of dead weight that could be let go. It's show business not show friendship. You don't need to keep someone around who isn't adding to your product. He's solid, and he gets good reactions for a lot of his fun comedy spots. But he is certainly not someone I'd consider "talented and popular".

He was a background extra at best, stuck in a role forever due to being in a slow burn angle with Brodie Lee during his passing. The angle never got to a conclusion so he was stuck as a lackey for Dark Order forever. Stu was far more talented and popular and he's been gone for a year and it hasn't really affected anything. Colt not being around now hasn't affected anything. It is what it is. The optics of the Punk thing got him an ROH contract he frankly doesn't deserve. He's not in the position to complain.

And why in the world does it matter he "pioneered" indy merch? That's commendable and goes a long way to explain why he has so many friends. But why should TK and AEW be beholden to him for that? Colt Cabana didn't invent the idea of selling t-shirts. Weird perspective.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

The tag title match stole the show. Didn't think that they got something so great in them. 

In one night, The Acclaimed transformed themselves from a modern day New Age Outlaws tribute act to an actual, big boy, championship level tag team. Whie you cannot change the outcome of a match unless there needs to be an injury audible, they likely just earned a title run in the near future with that performance and crowd reaction.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Big time disagree. What wrestling fans want is realism. Even the smartest wrestling fan wants there to be times where they question if what they're seeing is actual real and not part of the show. I don't man that in a Russo way. I mean that in a dad that hates wrestling and takes his kid there, but says 'I know all this here wrestling stuff is fake but not Bruiser Brody. That guy is fighting people for real' way. This kind of intrigue has led to 20+ pages of discussion. WWE had a very good show Saturday and their discussion page topped out at 4.

Intrigue and realism is a draw. This DOES make people want to watch Wednesday. It may be annoying to you specifically who enjoys the straight forward on air nature of the story telling much like a great TV show or movie. But the broader wrestling audience loves this kind of stuff. It's 20 years later and people still talk about the ins and outs of Bret / Shawn & Montreal.

My idea of realism is Eddie and Ishii turning each other’s chests to hamburger, stiff-looking punches and forearms, hurty looking submissions. I’ve always hated when the backstage intrigue becomes the in-ring angles. Like someone said, this isn’t 2000-2001 WCW, this is becoming 1999 WCW.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's show business not show friendship.

"The name on the sign is Go-Go, not... Cry-Cry." - the club owner in Planet Terror

EDIT: Heh, that's an inaccurate quote, but it's a combination of that and "the name on the marquee is wrestling" so I'm keeping it

Edited by Curt McGirt

5 minutes ago, JLowe said:

My idea of realism is Eddie and Ishii turning each other’s chests to hamburger, stiff-looking punches and forearms, hurty looking submissions. I’ve always hated when the backstage intrigue becomes the in-ring angles. Like someone said, this isn’t 2000-2001 WCW, this is becoming 1999 WCW.

Sounds like you should be watching UFC not performance-art then 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Colt was the like 10th most important member of Dark Order. He was the absolute epitome of dead weight that could be let go. It's show business not show friendship. You don't need to keep someone around who isn't adding to your product. He's solid, and he gets good reactions for a lot of his fun comedy spots. But he is certainly not someone I'd consider "talented and popular".

He was a background extra at best, stuck in a role forever due to being in a slow burn angle with Brodie Lee during his passing. The angle never got to a conclusion so he was stuck as a lackey for Dark Order forever. Stu was far more talented and popular and he's been gone for a year and it hasn't really affected anything. Colt not being around now hasn't affected anything. It is what it is. The optics of the Punk thing got him an ROH contract he frankly doesn't deserve. He's not in the position to complain.

And why in the world does it matter he "pioneered" indy merch? That's commendable and goes a long way to explain why he has so many friends. But why should TK and AEW be beholden to him for that? Colt Cabana didn't invent the idea of selling t-shirts. Weird perspective.

If you don't think that he is really talented in the ring then we are just going to agree to disagree. I would think a guy who always gets over and works an incredibly safe style while having entertaining matches would be very useful to any promotion but that's just me.

As for the second point he was among the first to make merchandising on the scale he did at shows and online with the volume of stuff. IIRC I believe PWT's has it's roots in a company that Colt started (could be wrong but just working from memory).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Big Z said:

In one night, The Acclaimed transformed themselves from a modern day New Age Outlaws tribute act to an actual, big boy, championship level tag team. Whie you cannot change the outcome of a match unless there needs to be an injury audible, they likely just earned a title run in the near future with that performance and crowd reaction.

Acclaimed should have had the belts on them 6 months ago. Tonight wasn’t anything new. Caster has been one of maybe a half dozen acts able to rouse the audience for a long time. They are as over (more over?) than any other young talent in the roster.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Whether it works or not with today’s audience is going to be seen in real time. This is all interesting to me and I genuinely don’t know what will and won’t work. But it is worth adding that the theory of playing off real drama is one TK seems to be interested in. In an interview with Meltzer he brought up how it works and that the year Hart vs Michaels at Summerslam (?) happened it outdrew Wrestlemania. So I think toying with realism seems to be on Tony’s mind.

I find the different storytelling eras and booking evolutions/current time reactive changes to be fascinating. I may choose not to follow it at all times, but the sociological landscape and storytelling philosophies sure are interesting!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A_K said:

Acclaimed should have had the belts on them 6 months ago. Tonight wasn’t anything new. Caster has been one of maybe a half dozen acts able to rouse the audience for a long time. They are as over (more over?) than any other young talent in the roster.

In 2022 pro wrestling though, especially AEW, you also need to deliver after bell rings to be at championship level. They have not had anything resembling that level of a match as a team before (though Bowens had some very singles matches at end of last year). Even if last night was a touch flash in the pan/crowd aided, they now have that in-ring credibility to match with the entertainment factor and should get the belts soon as a result (even if that means altering previous plans).

• Like 1

Again, no idea how much of this was legit or not and I don’t want to speculate. Overall it was an extremely uncomfortable experience watching the scrum all the way through, but then there was this 30 seconds of gold:

Edited by Jrag
  • Haha 3