DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, I mean—just playing devil’s advocate here—but if it’s a work, clearly the idea is to play the long game, planting the seeds of Punk being a legit primadonna who is as toxic as Hangman said, so that when they finally do pull the trigger on an onscreen heel turn, the fans will bite on it.

• Like 2

I want to say something about the tag title match:

You hear fans, and even some wrestlers, complain about audiences that seem to only care about getting themselves over or amusing themselves during matches. And the early portion of Acclaimed/SIOG seems to be heading in that direction. The crowd seems pretty restless and weren’t getting into much of anything during the middle portion of the show. But they mustered the strength to get into the scissoring chants.

And that’s the thing—-if the fans have the energy to chant dumb shit, then they have the energy to get into your match. You just have to tell a good enough story to get them into what you’re doing.

Those teams not only won over the crowd’s energy, but multiplied it 10x over.

Fantastic match.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EVA said:

I want to say something about the tag title match:

You hear fans, and even some wrestlers, complain about audiences that seem to only care about getting themselves over or amusing themselves during matches. And the early portion of Acclaimed/SIOG seems to be heading in that direction. The crowd seems pretty restless and weren’t getting into much of anything during the middle portion of the show. But they mustered the strength to get into the scissoring chants.

And that’s the thing—-if the fans have the energy to chant dumb shit, then they have the energy to get into your match. You just have to tell a good enough story to get them into what you’re doing.

Those teams not only won over the crowd’s energy, but multiplied it 10x over.

Fantastic match.

And they did it by getting heat on Bowens and his history of injuries and targeting a body part despite being babyfaces (and bigger). They played into the strengths of southern tags and made people care.

• Like 13

Yeah, I agree 100%. The crowd were definitely in a "there's too much filler on this show and we came here to back CM Punk" rest mode after the tag titles match and even before. If it was Swerve's idea to question Bowen's durability and say he let Caster down and then ACTUALLY WORK IT INTO THE MATCH he is going to be a great wrestler because that was the key of getting legitimate emotional buy in from the crowd past the scissor me meme shit (which is fun but does not make for a great match). The crowd was muted even during the pre show. 

The Jade match was really good too, def her best that I can remember and I really enjoyed Athena going for it right away. Execution still rough in spots for Jade but she's coming along nicely. 

Edit: Matt beat me to it more succinctly. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

I am legitimately concerned that Punk may just quit and relatively soon before we get to him even "working with pricks", which would be a tragedy. He made it clear he threatened to drop out of DoN over a vague line that most people did not connect the dots to Colt. He just roasted the Bucks and Omega explicitly for 30 minutes as well as Hangman. Is he going to be able to take any of their barbs in return? People wanted CM Punk back and this is what you get with him when he doesn't have a boss that will keep him in line. 

This I guess is how you re-establish kayfabe for people our age. It's fun not knowing where we are going, thinking stuff is actually volatile, and there are real emotions involved. I just hope they're able to harness it for good and not let the toxicity destroy what it's set up. I need to see Punk (or "CM", lmao at Excalibur calling out Marvez on air several minutes later) vs. Hangman 2, Punk/FTR vs. Omega/Bucks, and the Omega singles. I will pay money for those. 

Edit: for as shitty as he came off last night, he was not wrong at all about Page boasting about not taking advice from his seniors. That's ridiculous and I feel like something he got from the Elite guys who've always struck me as people that feel like they're above constructive criticism in how they talk about wrestling. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Craig H, love your thoughts and like that you’re coming to the backstage shenanigans from a different perspective from me. The only thing I’ll add to what you said is SRS basically saying that he was the first to tweet on all of this and the Elite guys were not who leaked the information. So if that is the case and Punk is saying they are, passionately, on an assumption, that adds to all this as well. 
I will say that I know nothing and think that everyone involved looks bad. CM Punk was like Richard Sherman after stopping Crabtree at that Super Bowl and was too pumped up in the interview and came off bad. Not that he isn’t justified? But still not the best idea and made everyone look bad. Hangman isn’t without fault. He throw a dagger initially at a wild swordsman. Tony (I assume, again I’m maybe assuming too much) and the EVP’s are not managing the situation well. The only MVP was the reporter that got more than his question’s worth with not just the initial answer but repeated answers throughout.

EDIT: add what @Jiji said about listening to the elderly! I’m pro-Punk on that portion for sure.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, I don’t love Swerve’s in-ring, but his nasty streak is good when it comes out, and I think he’s going to be a great heel character when they finally pull the trigger on the Shaq/Kobe break-up.

I reckon they lean into it even more at Grand Slam. They could turn the champs if they wanted to. I wouldn't mind a nastier version of Keith Lee. Ross comparing him to Vader (I was so scared it was going to be a Black wrestler lmao) was interesting because Lee has so little intensity. Taz's Bigelow comp was way more accurate and I struggle to enjoy a lot of Bammer because he was so soft especially outside of NJPW. 

• Like 3

That Punk scrum was one I’M PHIL FUCKING BROOKS line away from being the carniest shit this decade. 

Again, if this was WWE it would have been shit on as how not to cut a promo. But since it’s AEW it’s a genius gateway to more matches and blurring the lines? 

Fuck outta here. 

“But it’s working” no it’s not it’s literally just annoying as shit and makes me hope Punk quits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Coach said:

That Punk scrum was one I’M PHIL FUCKING BROOKS line away from being the carniest shit this decade. 

Again, if this was WWE it would have been shit on as how not to cut a promo. But since it’s AEW it’s a genius gateway to more matches and blurring the lines? 

Fuck outta here. 

“But it’s working” no it’s not it’s literally just annoying as shit and makes me hope Punk quits. 

If this were WWE we’d be talking about how the top two singles matches were between four old dudes while acts like Malakai, The Acclaimed, JB and Hayter got jobbed out.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

If you thought Jungle should've won last night, injury aside, that's some baby brain stuff. Not wanted him to win, but thought he should win. You need Christian to evade him for as long as possible to build heat and gratification for when he finally lands on Christian, and takes his vengeance. That was 100% the right move. 

I forgot to mention there has got to be a happy medium behind the over choreographed, contrived bullshit ladder matches wwe has been doing for the past decade and the gigantic turtle green shit messes AEW churns out (beyond Young Buck tags). What the fuck was that match? Andrade and Rush come off as dumb asses. Claudio a dumb ass for not calling an audible. Just terrible. The one that Hangman won for #1 contendership was good or at least better than the rest by a country mile. Just awful. 

• Like 3

Another thing about the scrum…

Look, it’s one thing for me, a fan, to stupidly say, we’ll, they should have called an audible and put the Acclaimed over.

It’s something else entirely when a “wrestling journalist” asks that during a media scrum. If you’re there to do your job then do it, but most of these people are fucking clowns and need to learn when to stop being a fucking fan. Lee, Swerve, and Tony all sat there with WTF looks on their faces and did their level best to give a decent response. 

Between that and the dumb shit that set off all of the Punk stuff, it would be better to not even do these media scrums and just do it like NJPW and give folks a platform to cut a promo to the media without talking questions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Man the Southern Tag Bro culture is out of control on this board sometimes. The most over guys on the show were two young POC dudes with a super queer aesthetic based around a scissoring gimmick and people are on here talking about respecting your elders and having compassion for Punk and his sense of entitlement and attributing the Acclaimed's success to their adherence to antiquated mid-south psychology (while in the same week defending Will Ospreay, a man who not only shits all over any semblance of classic wrestling psychology but would also cover up their own daughters' sexual abuse allegations if it meant one of his lads didn't have to get tweeted at). Why is everyone so shocked the Acclaimed were as over as they were? Are they not always the most over babyfaces on television every week as is? I'm gonna burn a confederate flag while pissing on Tracey Smothers' grave just to troll the boomer morons on here. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Well shit, I came here to say that who the hell thought the Acclaimed of all people would answer Kenny Omega's call from earlier in the night.  Jesus Christ, Bowens's selling of his knee off a legit blown spot and Keith and Swerve leaning into heel territory was some of the best stuff I've seen this year. 

Um, fuck CM Punk, right?  Again? 

• Like 3

I'm watching it match by match from FOCUS on interest.  The Trios title match was FUCKING INSANE.  That was fucking great.  John Silver is out Secret Superstar.  Kenny Omega looked waaaay back.  Hangman vs Kenny, Will Ospreay vs Kenny, and Danielson vs Kenny are your next three PPV main events, I would guess. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

If you thought Jungle should've won last night, injury aside, that's some baby brain stuff. Not wanted him to win, but thought he should win. You need Christian to evade him for as long as possible to build heat and gratification for when he finally lands on Christian, and takes his vengeance. That was 100% the right move. 

I forgot to mention there has got to be a happy medium behind the over choreographed, contrived bullshit ladder matches wwe has been doing for the past decade and the gigantic turtle green shit messes AEW churns out (beyond Young Buck tags). What the fuck was that match? Andrade and Rush come off as dumb asses. Claudio a dumb ass for not calling an audible. Just terrible. The one that Hangman won for #1 contendership was good or at least better than the rest by a country mile. Just awful. 

I think this is why I loved the finish to that match. Everything was such a poorly worked train wreck, so it was fun seeing a group of guys come out, fuck everyone up, and Stokely grab the chip because at that point, why not. Dante Martin did the same spot about 3 times over. Andrade and Rush are just so stupid. I don’t want to be like JR, but my god, Rush comes out and takes his sweet ass time taking off his gear while he’s about to lose the match. I would say someone needs to talk to Rush, but I could see that going over poorly.

And speaking of JR, I’ve defended him in the past, but he has zero rapport with Excalibur and Taz. That booth when it was Ex, Taz, and Tony was so unbelievably good and then it took a step back when JR got there. At one point in the women’s titles match he goes, it’s like they’re fighting over a sale at a department store. Like, why?!?! Because WOMEN ALWAYS BE SHOPPING?!?! JR sucks.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Nick Hausman asked a valid question. And the questions were more relevant when Punk first started working for AEW considering AEW had already signed Colt Cabana and Cabana was working for them.

He could have brought his question into 2022 by asking, "Are you glad the Joker wasn't Colt Cabana?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know what's a good story?

What they're doing with Daniel Garcia.

I love that Danielson lost. Because it makes Daniel Garcia eventually beating Lionheart up even better. Jericho and Danielson are working together without ego to make this guy and it's beautiful.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1