DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It is also very interesting that 2 days the biggest news from the WWE media scrum besides it being the first in ages was how reporters basically acting like fucking marks as they were "acknowledging" Roman Reigns.   Now we have an AEW scrum being an absolute shit show because of reporters actually act like reporters albeit the worst kind of it 

How so?

Well I guess I say "worse of it" because it isn't really based on actual facts but more of a someone said something to someone about someone kind of thing.  I mean we still don't really know if Punk was the reason why Cabana is off to Ring of Honor wasteland although it wouldn't surprise me one bit.   Listen I would much rather have an AEW like scrum then whatever that version in the WWE was supposed to be 

Caught parts of the show in between fantasy football drafts.  Still have to go back and watch the tag titles and Danielson/Jericho among other things,  but really dug Eddie/Ishii, the goofy ladder match angle and the trios title match.  Good to have Kenny back.

Main event was solid, but they have a better match in them.  Punk selling the elbow for 20 minutes after his own dive was an interesting choice. I was hooked the whole way and really had no idea who was going to win which is a rarity for this company.

Have seen bits and pieces but I guess I have to go back and watch the scrum in full huh

• Like 1

So either noted former poster Coach TK has broken away from the DVDVR Hive Mind for the first time in his booking career by not cosplaying Mid South, 90’s AJPW or BattleARTS but rather - *checks notes* - Russo/Ferrara era WCW, or he’s way too far over his skiis and has lost control of his company.

I mean look I’ll wait for Jim Ross to start talking about snoochie boochies to prove me wrong but I’m going with Occam’s Razor here 

Ok!

I saw Zero Hour yesterday but I avoided the internet after 9:30 or so and woke up early and just caught up by watching the amazing Acclaimed match, the main event, Danielson vs Jericho, Starks/Hobbs, and Christian/Jungle Boy so let me read some of the last few pages of thoughts as my first look at the internet since last night and then do some bullet points on some thoughts on these matches and...

Oh.

Edited by Matt D
I liked what I saw! If that helps.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Shit I’m finally watching the media scrum now and Punk just kept going back to the same topic no matter what they asked him, so fucking bitter. He even shushed Tony at one point. He came off as such an asshole and really made me turn against the guy, I’d be happy if he just disappeared forever.

What was up with his voice btw, kinda sounded like The Undertaker instead of Punk speaking.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I've got more wrestling to watch, so this isn't the best joke, but it's the best joke I have as of yet. You guys have a ten hour head start on me or whatever.

"The real money match is between Punk and Trent because Trent still has a shared bank account with his mom."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

The honeymoon period followed by the spicing it up by adding a dom/sub dynamic period. 

Hopefully, Tony has his safe word ready.

Edited by madl

2 hours ago, A_K said:

The work is working. Kudos, Tony.

Oh fuck that seriously. We don't need in 2022 to wonder if what we're seeing is a work or a shoot or what was thought to previously have been a shoot is now a work or maybe the whole thing is a work the whole time or the whole thing is a shoot but it's on TV anyway and somehow think any of it is a great thing. None of this will earn new fans. None. Tony Khan, to quote the Dark Knight, is nothing more than a dog chasing after cars, he wouldn't know what to do if he caught one. Tony Khan isn't some great booking 'genius,' he's literally letting the wrestlers do the storylines and dictate the direction.

CM Punk going off about Colt Cabana while still being the AEW World champion (where the title is less viable than the WWE 24/7 title now thanks to his trading the belt with Moxley) and the EVPs threatening to walk out of the company while they were GIVEN new titles makes AEW look bad. It makes Tony Khan look bad. It makes CM Punk look bad. It makes the EVPs look like clowns and proof as to why they never made it to the WWE. MJF only showing up if he gets a title shot and potentially hot shotting the title again at the next PPV will make AEW look bad.

Controversy creates cash until it doesn't. This whole thing feels like what it felt like with WCW in the last year of existence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Punk looked like he could barely contain his laughter while he was talking ? 

While avoiding taking any definitive position on the work/shoot nature of that presser myself, I will say that I noticed this. Definitely seemed to be stuffing his face with muffin to hold back a smile at times.

Edited by EVA

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

While avoiding taking any definitive position on the work/shoot nature of that presser myself, I will say that I noticed this. Definitely seemed to be stuffing his face with muffin to hold back a smile at times.

Oh yeah. The whole thing is marvellous. This board would be in the upper quartile of audience IQ, and even here some are equating Cabana being storyline reassigned to the other 'brand' (to use WWE terminology') for storyline-purposes to get Punk's act over as Punk having had him fired from his job. Marvellous. I didn't think they'd catch everyone hook/line/sinker again so soon after DON but by god they did it.

The question now is whether they can leverage it to actually progress the on-screen characters ... e.g. Punk becomes rabid heel, MJF steps more into the HHH-cerebral-assassin role alongside Punk's 'old man Austin' routine, Hangman gets reinvigorated as the young hot-blooded ass kicker. The worst thing they could do (which I really hope they won't, but its possible) is to line Punk/MJF up as anti-authority figures opposite to Khan. That would be very bad, but let's see what they do next.

Edited by A_K

I mean screw it, let's talk wrestling:

• Sammy/Tay vs Ortiz/Ruby feels like a distant memory. I really appreciate how deeply Ortiz is leaning in to the Rick Rude. I'd love to hear the agent talk to him about that, especially if the agent is Dean Malenko. My guess is that if Eddie didn't do the Sammy thing (remember that) we might have gotten a straight up Tay vs Ruby match and I still want to see that, doubly so after the nose (sorry). I've explained why Ruby's a net positive and how she's used as an attraction, with her song especially, for the live crowd, and I'm not repeating that argument now. I did really enjoy the chaotic feel to the start and I wonder if that was to try to prevent the F Sammy chants from the other night. Obviously this feud was all messed up given up how it started and they shouldn't have run three matches in a row like this, but the actual wrestling seemed fine to me.
  • Hook vs Parker did what it was supposed to. Distractions causing openings. Hook fighting back. Tony saying he needed to get the legs in at the end and Angelo just tapping maybe wasn't great but it hurts Parker not Hook, so it's fine.
  • I actually quite liked the first half of Kip vs PAC. It might be my first time ever seeing Kip wrestle? But the deal was that PAC is so good at moves and counters but Kip kept coming at him at weird angles and it was working right up until the point where Kip had absolutely no way to put PAC away. It was ok for what it was and an even better set up to him being vulnerable against Cassidy later.
  • I don't have much to say about Ishii vs Kingston. They hit each other very hard. There was some sense of escalation, I guess. Kingston understands the pillars far, far more than he understands Tenryu. I don't think I'd say that to his face lie that though? I'm not writing it up for Monday so hopefully Phil is.
  • I still haven't seen everything but... They could have protected Starks a bit more by talking about how his neck was hurt even more by QT or just saying that he was too hot and not thinking clearly and he needed to be level-headed to actually take Hobbs down. Hobbs doing the Starks pose was some hilarious heeling.
  • Cage vs JB was what it had to be, I guess. Christian can convince people that this was his plan all along, including Luchasaurus apparently turning on him. Was Christian the only guy on the show to get 100% heat. MJF chants, fans getting behind Kip, Jericho getting some appreciation at times? I missed a bunch of matches so far so not sure. I feel like the ideal situation right now is a Punk/Christian/Hobbs faction. Just think about it.
  • I can't say enough good things about the Acclaimed vs SioG match. It might be my best AEW tag match ever. It was that good and the crowd was that up for it. Lee and Swerve are so much more fun as de facto heels. I'm ok with them not calling the audible as they can build to New York now instead of the feud just seeming out of nowhere. The crowd went from chanting for themselves, basically, to really getting behind Bowens. Caster looked more like a star than ever. Great selling on offense by Bowens.
  • Jericho vs Danielson was very good, to the point where this might be Jericho's career year in ring. And it may not even be close? I loved the story that Jericho might have been able to call up on his Lionheart persona and outwrestle Mox, but he could only more or less hang with Danielson with it. And Danielson was somehow the sum of everything he ever was while Jericho was just part of himself. I'm curious how the eventual Garcia vs Jericho match will go.
  • Enjoyed the main. Know how I'm going to write about it for Weds. I'll use the word "Hansen" a lot.

Will have to catch everything else over the next couple of days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

If this stuff is a work, does it make anyone want to watch Wednesday? It’s more annoying than anything else.

Well, MJF was not getting that reaction from last night before his worked shoot stuff. As always, there's likely elements of both work and shoot with all of this, but it's worked well for MJF.

• Like 1

After watching the media scrum, my illusion of AEW as roses and sunshine has been shattered to say the least. Whether the words Punk spoke were actually true, his truth, or just bullshit, the place to do it was not during a media event. Let's not even get into the fact that Punk basically confirmed the stories about him considering taking his ball and going home were true ("jeopardized a million dollar gate"), but what hypocritical horse shit to talk about how you want to help a company and its young stars only to completely bury them, along with the person sitting next to you who employs you. There are those who say this is a work, but what sense does it make to bury everyone in the company so aggressively? What is the payoff? It didn't feel like Punk was raging against the machine to advance an angle. It just seemed like he is very thin skinned. Kicking against the pricks when you sharpened them yourself is never advisable. 

• Like 5